AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about adding a PS2 to our console collection for those games that'll work on the PS2. The wife and daughter want DDR, but no PS3 version on the horizion. I also have several PS2 games that we play on the 80g PS3, that would work fine on our older 32" CRT on the PS2 in the other room. The adapter for the DDR pad is $20, but I'm finding working PS2s on Craigslist in my area for $30-$40, so here are my questions:

1. Other than size, what's the advantage to the slim over the fat?

2. Do they not come with network connectors, and do you even need one if you won't be playing online? I'm guessing there's no DLC for PS2 games.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
The slim has an ethernet port built in, is quieter, and more reliable.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I'm not going to play online games, is the ethernet port necessary? Do PS2s have hard drives from the factory? (I'm noticing some that have them online)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/15475185

If I'm not going to play online games, is the ethernet port necessary? Do PS2s have hard drives from the factory? (I'm noticing some that have them online)

I think the only other reason to have ethernet is to network ps2's together for multiplayer. Ps2's do not come with hard drives, but they are pretty useless anyway unless you back up games on it. Speaking of which, I have a PS2 with 120GB hard drive somewhat full of games, and a copy of HDAdvance which will let you back up your own games. 2 sony dualshocks, wireless logitech, component cable, network adapter, sony memory card. If interested PM me I will send you a list of games.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/15475185

No. But the slim improves the PS2 in pretty much every way, so you might as well go for that one.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/15467759

1. Other than size, what's the advantage to the slim over the fat?

2. Do they not come with network connectors, and do you even need one if you won't be playing online? I'm guessing there's no DLC for PS2 games.

1. The slim is the later build, so it's also more reliable hardware. The early PS2's ("fat" as opposed to "slim") were known for failing DVD drives, so it's best to get the newest hardware available.

2. There are very few PS2 games with online components. Most of them are shooting games.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/15476001

1. The slim is the later build, so it's also more reliable hardware. The early PS2's ("fat" as opposed to "slim") were known for failing DVD drives, so it's best to get the newest hardware available.

2. There are very few PS2 games with online components. Most of them are shooting games.

If Battlefield 2's servers are still going on the PS2, that's one of the most funnest shooters to ever grace the internet; even the watered down console versions are a blast.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, good deal, thanks everyone! The reliability alone might be enough to sway me to the Slim. I'm finding lots of used ones at good prices.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martez /forum/post/15476127

If Battlefield 2's servers are still going on the PS2, that's one of the most funnest shooters to ever grace the internet; even the watered down console versions are a blast.

Note sure if they're still going. That's one of the biggest tragedies of the online gaming trend: old games die long before their time.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, found a good deal on a slim. I'm totally confused how you load a game. Is it supposed to just load every time you put a disc in? Sometimes this one spins the disc, but the game doesn't load. Is it faulty? (I can take it back). I don't see a way to load a disc that's inserted...

Next, do these need firmware updates like the PS3? If so, how do you get them?

I also see a way to adjust the disc speed. Is there a problem with turning it up to fast?

I went from the Atari consoles to a PS3, so these things in-between are foreign to me.

Oh, and I saw some software that allows "streaming" content over the network to the PS2, I can't remember what it is called, but does it actually work?

·
Registered
6,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/15481255

OK, found a good deal on a slim. I'm totally confused how you load a game. Is it supposed to just load every time you put a disc in? Sometimes this one spins the disc, but the game doesn't load. Is it faulty? (I can take it back). I don't see a way to load a disc that's inserted...

It should auto load every time. If yours was used, it may not be in great shape.

Quote:

Next, do these need firmware updates like the PS3? If so, how do you get them??

No firmware updates.

Quote:

I also see a way to adjust the disc speed. Is there a problem with turning it up to fast?

The disc speed setting only pertains to PS1 games, not PS2 games. There are some PS1 games that have problems when you increase disc read speed.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK, I have a while before I have to take it back. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks!

(just noticed I said to instead of too... too much Rock Band and beer clearly!)

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:

Sometimes this one spins the disc, but the game doesn't load. Is it faulty?

Yes, faulty. Take it back. Unlike the PS3, there's no OS screen. Games should load up on startup. There is a screen that pops up if you turn on the PS2 without a disc in the drive, but that shouldn't appear if there's a disc in the drive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts