AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pulling my hair out on this one. I'm borrowing a PS3 (60GB) from a friend. I have the means to transfer PS1 and PS2 saves from their memory cards to a USB stick. Is there any way I can the PS3 to load these saves?

The USB is FAT formatted.

The dirs are correct: /PS3/EXPORT/PSV

From what I understand, there is no way to create a PSV file, but surely there's a way to get this data from the USB stick to the PS3 in a format it can import? Or do I absolutely have to buy some memory card adapter thing?

Cush

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All right, thanks for the replies. I guess the USB stick interface is for transferring PSV files around, not importing PS2 saves. $15 isn't too bad for getting those saves. I'll go that route.

Thanks again!

Cush

·
Registered
565 Posts
Can't you just copy over the save files from the USB stick?

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
For me, $15 seems a bit much for something I would use once (believe me, when I say I have been slaving over this issue for a while now). I don't even think $15 makes sense given the the rudimentary electronics that would be inside there. I could easily put down the $15 to get it over with, but something makes me protest this solution, on principle alone.

I think Sony should/could have come up with a better/cheaper solution than this, just to move your game saves over. This seems like an entirely gratuitous cash grab by Sony, imo. In that respect, it really irks me. I mean really, you can get 1 GB of memory card storage for $20 these days, which would technologically eclipse anything they could possibly put in this ps2 memory card adapter- how do they reason it is worth $15?!

I know this is really a small thing in the scope of life, but this really does go down as a pet peeve that bugs me to no end.

·
Registered
376 Posts
it gets better - that $15 doenst include a USB cable!!!

but now you have the ability to copy to/from a memory card, where as before you coudl only copy from.

you coudl always try adn find a used one, or return it once you are done.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Yes, used seems to be the next best choice, but used where? I haven't seen it used in any local shop. If I try to go online with Amazon or something, I imagine it will just cost an extra $5 just to ship it. So maybe it comes out to $10? Better, but I still "feel" like I am getting ripped. I agree- this is small potatoes, but it is the principle that really bugs me about going through all of this just to do one simple thing.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/12970934

For me, $15 seems a bit much for something I would use once (believe me, when I say I have been slaving over this issue for a while now). I don't even think $15 makes sense given the the rudimentary electronics that would be inside there. I could easily put down the $15 to get it over with, but something makes me protest this solution, on principle alone.

I think Sony should/could have come up with a better/cheaper solution than this, just to move your game saves over. This seems like an entirely gratuitous cash grab by Sony, imo. In that respect, it really irks me. I mean really, you can get 1 GB of memory card storage for $20 these days, which would technologically eclipse anything they could possibly put in this ps2 memory card adapter- how do they reason it is worth $15?!

I know this is really a small thing in the scope of life, but this really does go down as a pet peeve that bugs me to no end.

I felt the same way but at the same time if people are willing to pay $15 for it then it would be foolish of Sony not to charge it, it's capitalism man. Trust me when I say I had a very difficult time buying it, it really felt like I was just throwing away fifteen bucks. But when the alternative was to bring my PS2 to school just to finish FFXII I figured the sheer convenience would be worth the $15, even if I only used it once.

Plus you can't blame Sony for not building one into the PS3, they were losing $200 on every system made back at launch and every little thing they didn't have to have in the PS3 just wouldn't have been cost effective to include.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/12971447

The adaptor should have come with the PS3.

Again why would it? A lot of people didn't need it, the people who do are willing to pay extra for it, what's Sony's incentive to include free of charge with a PS3? Especially when they were already losing a boat load of money just making PS3s.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Probably because it adds cost and an ugly hole to the console, for something most people won't need at all, and most of those that do will only use it once.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
For a company that puts so much behind BC, it should have damn well come with.

Especially when the PS2 ports were compatible with PS1 cards.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith /forum/post/12971643

For a company that puts so much behind BC, it should have damn well come with.

Especially when the PS2 ports were compatible with PS1 cards.

Again what's the incentive for Sony? Most people don't need one, the people that do are willing to pay for it. So what is Sony's incentive to lose even more money on every PS3 sold by including the adapter or putting a big ugly PS2 memory card slot on the PS3?

·
Registered
821 Posts
1) Whomever said the $15 does not include the usb cable, dont worry about that. The one that comes with the system to charge your controller is the same.

2) I am sure ppl will yell at me for this, so let me get the disclaimer out of the way:

I do not condone or encourage this, rather I am just repeating something that I read when I was faced with the same dilemma.

A dishonest person would go buy the adapter thing from your local place, use it to transfer the saved games, and then return it the next day (or same day) saying you though it was the PS2 controller adapter. If faced with "Oh well would you like to exchange then?", just reply with "No, I actually just went and picked it up from because I had to go there to grab a gift card for my ".

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
I am unconvinced that a game saves transfer would even require any hardware, if Sony wanted to really make it possible out-of-the-box. All you need is 1 usb cable to go from ps2 to ps3 and a bit of software (this isn't 1990 where peer-to-peer networking is some great wonder that just came out). If there is anyone who would be in a position to enable a communication link this way, Sony would be the one (they designed the stuff, in the first place). How hard could that have been? Sony is really taking the piss by only offering a $15 piece of plastic, instead.

...or why not provide a little piece of software I could download, burn to a disc, where a ps2 would read it, and then be able to export memory card to a usb thumbdrive that I have plugged into the usb port?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Can't you just copy over the save files from the USB stick?

I'd thought so, but apparently not. I think the "Virtual Memory Card" utility recognizes the USB stick, but will only recognize PSV format saves (which are created by the PS3).

I *can* get the memory card data TO a USB stick. But it sounds like PSV is the only accepted format and PSVs are ONLY created when the PS3 transfers saves from a PS2. I don't even think you can get a PSV save BACK to a PS2 memory card.

So yeah, it appears you either borrow or buy an adapter. I just don't understand...if a PS3 can read and convert a memory card via USB, why can't it read and convert a USB stick with a save on it via USB?

Cush

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hmm. Can you see the PS2 saves on there at all?

If so, maybe you can create a virtual memory card on the PS3, and then copy the saved games from the USB stick directly to the virtual memory card?

Edit: How exactly did you get the PS2 saves on to the USB stick in the first place?

·
Registered
135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky /forum/post/12970934

I agree. i put off buying one for the same reason. However i ended up getting one for 9 dollars (lot more reasonable i thoguht) at my local compusa during its going out of business sale.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts