AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im thinking of getting a ps2 for gaming. ( instead of building a HTPC)

or would you reccormend XBOX?

but anways what is the output res. for the ps2, 720i? i hope its not lower. I want this for my sanyo z3 thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
PS2 outputs all its games at either 480i or 480P. XBOX does all 4 resolutions, but the majority of its games are 480P. you can check out the different resolutions for the different games at www.hdtvarcade.com

i wouldnt really recommended one over the other, i have both and enjoy both, so its really, IMO, based entirely on what games you prefer on playing.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
There are around 30 720P XBox games. I only have three but they look very good on the Z3. (Just upgraded!)

·
Registered
447 Posts
i have to agree, NBA 2K3 at 720P on my DLP looks amazing, player models and courts and everything are so crystal clear. but strangely enough, NBA 2K5 on PS2 seems to look just as good :confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts
i thought the 1080i thing for gran turismo was a trick, it wasnt really 1080i, it was 540P or something, i cant remember, but it wasnt a true 1080i since PS2 was incapable of doing that.

but either way, YES, it does look amazing on GT4 when your racing in 1080i. the level of detail is great.

·
Registered
955 Posts
The output signal as I understand it is 1080i. The source isn't really rendering a frame at 1920x1080; I think it's upscaling the 480p image.

Cush

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush1978
The output signal as I understand it is 1080i. The source isn't really rendering a frame at 1920x1080; I think it's upscaling the 480p image.

Cush
The output signal is definitely upscaled 1080i. As to what's the actual resolution upscaled to 1080i is debatable, but to me it isn't much of an improvement over 480p.

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_ride
hey guys im thinking of getting a ps2 for gaming. ( instead of building a HTPC)

or would you reccormend XBOX?
If your just getting into console gaming you might want to wait for the X-box 360. It should be coming out in three months and if you do get one I would recommend getting the $400 package, which includes a hard drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.