AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we all know PS2 can support 480p... so this leads me this strange problem. :)

I'm trying to enable progressive scan for a PS2 game, and according to the game's instructions pushing the triangle, square, circle, and X buttons are supposed to give me a prompt to "turn on" 480p. I have everything set correctly (my TV supports 480p), I'm pushing the buttons on my controller. I double check to make sure my connections and settings are correct and try again, and still no dice. I call Sony, who tells me to call Sega (the software company).

Sega tells me that the problem is with my TV (I have a brand-new Sony HDTV! Why WOULDN'T a PS2 [Sony] game work with my TV [Sony]?), and that certain TV's don't accept certain PS2 games' progressive signals. Wha..!? Anyone else have a KV-SH model TV and have this problem?

Complete BS. :(

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
You need to hold down all 4 buttons at the same time while your PS2 is booting up. Keep holding them down and it should pop up a screen that asks if you want the game in 480p.

Which game are you having trouble with?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Don't know what to tell ya then. I have NFL2k3 and a Sony TV and my PS2 displays it in 480p no problem. I think something is either wrong with your game or something aint hooked up right. Sorry bud. Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just played the game at my friends' house in 720p and there wasn't a huge difference. Thing is, my other systems work fine in progressive. Like the Sega Rep said, prolly my TV, since it's Sony's newest.

What TV are you operating on?

·
Registered
72 Posts
JB123

This game should work on your set I have played this game on my GWII in 480p and it works fine. Make sure you are using component cables and make sure you are holding all 4 buttons after the intro screen (during the espn video) to activate 480p. If this dose not work then you TV component input may be bad.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hold the buttons down to get 480p? Thats a joke. Why not jump up and down on one foot and pray to the Sony gods. Do yourself a favor, buy a console that allows you to set the output once and leave it alone.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Can someone ban DooDoo the XBox rep? I love the XBox as much as the next guy, but dear lord this guy must sleep with his and keep another one around just to blow his load into.

I hate to ask this question for the original poster, but are you using the component cables? If not it isn't going to work no matter how many buttons you push.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course I'm using component cables.

I'm sorry you had to ask that, I thought this board had higher posting standards. ;)

·
Registered
512 Posts
is there maybe a setting on the tv you need to engage for it to accept the progressive signal? i have a xbr400 but i run my ps2 with a composite cable :eek: because the graphics look jaggy to me even when i run my monster component cables so why bother? anyway, i know on my older model you have to turn something on in the tvs menu sometimes because it doesn't automatically recognize progressive signals...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update everyone:

I got the game to work.

The problem is in the instruction manual, it says "after the Playstation 2 logo appears you should recieve a prompt asking you if you'd like to dispay in 480p". Well, that is NOT true. You need to hold all of the face buttons on the controller FAR past that point, and throughout the ENTIRE Espn-style intro until the game loads, and THEN you recieve the prompt.

Just poorly written instructions... oh well.

Thanks all anyway. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
GUYS,

Some games can be played on 480p or all of them.I tried hooking up my ps2 tonight with the component video and it didn't ask me if I want to use 480p.How about dvd movie.will it play 480p??I had it hooked up in my DLP projector and it was on widescreen.and now I have it hooked up into my FP and it's on full screen eventhought the memory aspect ration is on 16:9.Whats going on here.Thanks-KC>>>

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If a PS2 game can be displayed in 480p, it will usually say so in the instruction manual. And no, none of the game systems display movies in progressive scan, regardless of your connection type. The best movie-playing device is the Xbox, which I believe upconverts 480p signals to 525i, but I could be off on those specs. Your PS2 is capable of 480i movie-display, though, which isn't bad at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.