AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a PS3 and was reading several threads on this forum regarding 1080p24 functionality. My TV, Samsung LNS4695, suppots this mode. I found the option regarding 1080p\\24 in the blueray playback options of the tv, set it to forced, and confirmed that the tv was displaying this resolution when watching a blueray movie. My question is, is 1080p\\24 only supported when watching blueray movies or can it be enabled when playing games, navigating the PS3 menu etc ? If so how because it is displaying the image at 1080p\\60?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I have my PS3 set to always display 1080p @ 24 hz whenever it is available. I have yet to see it output a game as 1080p @ 24 hz. I cant give you a technical explanation, I just know that it has never happened.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
You would not want a game to be 24fps. 60fps is far superior to 24fps. The reason movies are better on 24fps is because that is how they are filmed, and the process to convert them to 60fps causes judder.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you change this setting ? Is it under settings->bd dvd settings-> BD 1080p 24Hz output ? Or is there another location where it should be set ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I have, i was hoping there there as another location to force the setting for all video output. Reason being my TV (known issue) displays a green line of pixels on the far right of the screen in Justscan mode [email protected] It does not have this issue at 24Hz.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
You do NOT want your general output to be 24hz. There isn't a setting for it anyway.

You may have to jump out of Just Scan to your next level up to resolve the issue. I want to say on one of my TVs the setting is 16:9 and on the other it's "Aspect" to fill the screen. I have to use this setting sometimes for content recorded by my homemade DVR.

What model of TV do you have?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
7,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatine /forum/post/14192233

and it seems to be a know issue. Many people in the later pages of that thread reported a vertical green line on the right hand of the screen using "Just Scan" mode over hdmi. This issue is only present at [email protected]

If that is accurate, that is one of the odder issues I've seen in a TV. 24Hz only affects the refresh rate and whether or not it has to perform a 3:2 pulldown on the video input. It shouldn't have a bearing on the aspect ratio or overscan of the TV. I'm surprised that this happens when 24fps material is being fed to the TV.

Nevertheless, there is no way to force it. It's one of those things that only happens when the PS3 detects 24fps source material. And film is the only thing shot at 24fps. Video games and lots of TV material is at 30fps and occasionally (video games) 60fps. And with video games you cannot control this option. The 24Hz option only applies to Blu-ray playback. Video game framerate is another issue entirely and is completely dependent on the game engine.

Brandon

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Agreed, this should be something "fixable", hopefully with a flash, by Samsung. That is unless they give up like they did on the '71.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think they gave up or chose to ignore the issue. The Just scan modewas only introduced with the latest firmware. Though I guess I can call in and see what they have to say about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts