AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a WD-60638 Mitsibishi TV, and have a PS3.

The way I understand the process to getting 3D so far is that I need the following:

-PS3 upgraded to 3.50 (or later, I haven't upgraded yet)

-WD-60638

-A 3D emitter on the back of the TV since the xx638 TVs did not get the 12.06 firmware upgrade from the OEM.

-3D Glasses of course

The hangup I have is what kind of HDMI cables to run from the PS3 to the TV. I do not own a receiver, but I am open to the idea of buying one.

I see a few options, please help me choose the most appropriate:

1) Run a 1.3b HDMI cable to the TV, because it will not make a difference.

2) Buy an 1.4A/HDMI High speed with Ethernet cable to run to the TV.

3) Buy an 1.4A/HDMI High speed without Ethernet cable to run to the TV.

4) Buy three 1.4A HDMI cables and run one from the PS3 to an 1.4A splitter and then run two cables from the splitter to the TV. The reason that I mention this one is I saw some discussions splitting the audio and video signals that I did not quite understand.

5) Buy a receiver

6) Some other option not listed here.

Thank you for your assistance

·
Registered
1 Posts
as long as your hdmi's are high speed you will be fine. you do need the 3dc-1000 kit. I have the exact same model as you, so ya. If your wanting to go the least costly you could just buy the box that comes with the kit and get dlp link glasses such as viewsonic, or xpand. Just remember when you upgrade your ps3's firmware you have to go to the section where you can choose where you can use hdmi's or componet. It will say something about it being a 3d tv and it will have you choose your screen size and such. once you get that done, you can view 3d content. call of duty black ops looks pretty cool on these tv's. Just my 2 cents :p

·
Registered
407 Posts
The "emitter" and "adapter" are different things eh...

1. With that model you will need the 3dc-1 Mits 3D adapter since your TV didn't get the firmware upgrade.

2. If you use IR glasses, you will also need an emitter plugged into the back of the TV to sync with the glasses. DLP Link glasses do not require this.

With respect to the HDMI questions, just buy high speed cables. Most cables sold are considered high speed - even the cheap ones. Buying expensive cables has no benefit (unless you need a 30 ft long cable or something). About your receiver question.

1. If you want better sound or need to route multiple 3D devices through the "adapter" - buy a receiver.

2. If you buy a receiver, buy an HDMI 1.4 3D compatible receiver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ill add my opinion.... I like option 1 for you...

no need for 1.4 cables... i agree if you buy a receiver, which is NOT necessary, buy hdmi 1.4 capable/compatible but... the ps3 itself is not a 1.4 device, with its 1.3 output it sacrifices sound quality for our 3d images. No high def/lossless audio but we still get dolby and dts, which do sound nice, dont get me wrong. hope that helps

1 - 4 of 4 Posts