AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a strange issue that I'm hoping you brilliant a/vophiles can help me out with. My setup is as follows:

PlayStation 3 Slim connected to HDMI of Vizio VL470M.

Optical Audio Out from TV connected to the optical in of my audio receiver.

Using Netflix, I am able to get 5.1 channel audio into my receiver. In games, I also get 5.1 In Blu-Ray discs, though, I only get 2 ch stereo.

In the Audio Settings for the PS3, the only 5.1 output mode I have checked is "5.1 Dolby Digital." All the other 5.1 settings don't seem to pass 5.1 audio, so I've got them unchecked.

Am I going to have to upgrade my receiver to one that has HDMI inputs, instead of going through the TV? I really like using my TV to switch between inputs, and I feel like that is less likely to have latency when playing games, so the idea of passing the video signal through an AVR is one that doesn't thrill me...

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
If the Blu-ray disc has no Dolby soundtrack, then you'll get an alternative that is compatible with the TV, and that's 2-ch PCM.

If you feed the PS3's S/PDIF output to the AVR, then you can also hear DTS 5.1. But you'll still only get stereo from Mch PCM discs until you upgrade to an HDMI AVR, as that is the only way to get 5.1 PCM into it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only disc I've got to test it is Toy Story 3, which apparently has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and DTS-HD 3 Master Audio 5.1 tracks for English. So the PS3 won't "downgrade" either of these to Dolby Digital 5.1?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slthytove /forum/post/19517553

The only disc I've got to test it is Toy Story 3, which apparently has DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 and DTS-HD 3 Master Audio 5.1 tracks for English. So the PS3 won't "downgrade" either of these to Dolby Digital 5.1?

Noop.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"Optical Audio Out from TV connected to the optical in of my audio receiver."

Two things. Does your receiver really not support dts?

Also, HDMI > TV > Optical > Receiver is a non-optimal way to do things. You are relying on the display to properly split out the Dolby track at that point, which is asking for trouble. What you want to do is run HDMI to the TV, and optical from the PS3 to the receiver. If your receiver supports both Dolby Digital and dts, then turn both of those on in the PS3's audio settings. Also turn on BD Optical > Bitstream (not Linear PCM) in the PS3's Video settings. In this configuration, you will get surround for everything except for the relatively rare, and usually old as dirt, Blurays that only have uncompressed multi-channel PCM as their audio track.

Pretty dumb that the PS3 doesn't transcode multi-channel PCM to Dolby, but what ya gonna do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts