AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 50" samsung DLP from early 2005 that supports 720p and 1080i. I need to know how the 720p output from the PS3 is from games and blu-ray movies. How is the scaling handled, is it good or not? I've heard there are scaling issues, some of which may have been fixed through firmware. Can you guys tell me what this is about, and what your experiences have been with 720p/1080i native sets and your PS3's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated- just trying to make sure I won't have hardware issues before I make my decision to buy either a PS3 or a 360. Also if anyone could be kind enough to post screenshots of a game and/or a movie playing at 720p and 1080i on their PS3, that would be REALLY helpful. Again, any info would be good.

·
Registered
742 Posts
All games and both BR and SD DVD look fantatstic on my Sanyo Z5 PJ(720P native) onto a 96" screen. I set the PS3 to auto and sends a 1080P signal to the PJ....awesome...just buy it, its the best purchase I have made for my HT in a long time.

·
Registered
9,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee20 /forum/post/12620422

I've got a 50" samsung DLP from early 2005 that supports 720p and 1080i. I need to know how the 720p output from the PS3 is from games and blu-ray movies. How is the scaling handled, is it good or not? I've heard there are scaling issues, some of which may have been fixed through firmware. Can you guys tell me what this is about, and what your experiences have been with 720p/1080i native sets and your PS3's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated- just trying to make sure I won't have hardware issues before I make my decision to buy either a PS3 or a 360. Also if anyone could be kind enough to post screenshots of a game and/or a movie playing at 720p and 1080i on their PS3, that would be REALLY helpful. Again, any info would be good.

Your display is 720P. You will be fine with either system. Really not much else to say. The issues are with displays that do not support 720P.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
I've got a 720p set (768p actually) and everything looks fantastic.

Most games at this point are still native at 720p, and BR movies of course look and sound outstanding.

You most definitely won't be disappointed, even less so if you've got a decent AVR. I run everything through my onkyo 605 and am thoroughly impressed by what the PS3 can throw at it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just do a few searches in this forum....it has been beaten to death lately, especially those who try to get Motorstorm to upconvert @ 1080p.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You have a 720P native set, and there are NO scaling issues related with your set. The issues are with sets that are 1080i only, and don't accept 720p signals.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the clarification folks- I'll be grabbing myself a PS3 pretty soon to accompany an Onkyo 605. Haven't owned a console in years, so it'll be great to play some games again. I'm also looking forward to Dolby TrueHD in movies.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i am one of those people suffering with a 1080i only set... have their been any advances on this problem? has sony done anything about it?

google search turns up 1000 articles describing the problem but most of them are dated last fall... has sony just ignored the problem and hope people stop talking about it?

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21 /forum/post/12625840

i am one of those people suffering with a 1080i only set... have their been any advances on this problem? has sony done anything about it?

google search turns up 1000 articles describing the problem but most of them are dated last fall... has sony just ignored the problem and hope people stop talking about it?

There's no scaling chip in the PS3, it uses the Cell and the RSX to upscale PS1/2 games and DVDs because neither of those are straining the processor. However because of this they can't patch old games with no 1080 support so they'll scale because the scaling may eat up system resources that game would be trying to use.

Thankfully most developers are being gracious and adding a 1080 mode to their games which renders at 960x1080 (as opposed to rendering at 720p) and then horizontally scales the image to 1920x1080. Sometimes it works well and other times it looks stretched but at least developers are recognizing the problem and adding this to their games. Most of this Fall's big releases have this support and it looks like most titles and most big titles will have that support in the future. There's a list of games with 1080 support somewhere on the board.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a issue and dont have a 100% answer to why its doing my issue i see.

Ok i have a sony wega kv-30hs420 widescreen crt hdtv, and by reading on these forums and google searches my tv doesnt naturely support 720p it just secretly upconverts it to 1080i. I say secretly because when i'm in the service menu and load a 720p source I think i see the video modes change within the tv but it still says 720p.

Ok I have a 60gig ps3 connected to my sony via hdmi cable input #7, now what I see is in some but not all ps3 games and even ps2 games, I see interlacing, now the way this issue looks like is in a game like uncharted drakes for an example if you pan/move the screen in a horizontal direction, still/static images like a tree, rock, vehicles, buildings, anything, the image goes like out of focus, it creates like a double itsself image, vibrate, shake. The whole screen is actually producing this issue but more noticeable on still/static images.

Now it can also be called combing artifacts that I'm seeing, becuase if I hook up my ps3 to a SDTV using composite cables I can actually see the thin comb lines when its doing this issue I describe above.

Now recently in the past 5 months I had 5 different hdtv's lcd's displays, the last one being a 800 dollar sharp aqous native 720p 32 incher. All these displays had the same issue I'm describing here thats why they been returned and found this sony sega on craiglist.

Also those ps3 demo stations at the stores with those sony bravias displays like at bestbuy, when I try those demos like motorstorm, folklore, ghost recon etc it does the same thing i'm describing here. Can anyone help and know whats going on here?

Games that have this issue are: Uncharted, resistance, folklore, heanvenyl sword, motorstorm, ghost recon, full auto, virtual tennis 3, timeshift and much more.

Games that have no issues are: ninja gaiden sigma, call of duty 4, ridge racer 7, ratchet clank.

Some ps2 games that have this issue are: snake eater, code veronica and more.

Thanks......

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek /forum/post/12626800

Ok I have a 60gig ps3 connected to my sony via hdmi cable input #7, now what I see is in some but not all ps3 games and even ps2 games, I see interlacing, now the way this issue looks like is in a game like uncharted drakes for an example if you pan/move the screen in a horizontal direction, still/static images like a tree, rock, vehicles, buildings, anything, the image goes like out of focus, it creates like a double itsself image, vibrate, shake. The whole screen is actually producing this issue but more noticeable on still/static images.

Are you talking about motion blur? If so, Uncharted actually uses deliberate motion blur when you pan the camera. So that's totally normal and how the game is meant to look. The other games you mention, though, that would be the result of your display.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/12627726

Are you talking about motion blur? If so, Uncharted actually uses deliberate motion blur when you pan the camera. So that's totally normal and how the game is meant to look. The other games you mention, though, that would be the result of your display.

Hehehe I knew someone will say that about the motion blur in uncharted. Lets get this straight I already know that a game like uncharted produces that motion blur and just like god of war for the ps2 it has tearing too.

But the issue I'm describing is totally diffirent. Thanks anyways.......

·
Registered
562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/12627726

I can't stand Uncharted's motion blur. It's like playing on an LCD on a CRT.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek /forum/post/12626800

Games that have this issue are: Uncharted, resistance, folklore, heanvenyl sword, motorstorm, ghost recon, full auto, virtual tennis 3, timeshift and much more.

Games that have no issues are: ninja gaiden sigma, call of duty 4, ridge racer 7, ratchet clank.

The only common factor I can see is framerate. All the games listed as not having this issue are a solid 60fps or close to it. Maybe you're just very sensitive to framerate issues.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/12631012

The only common factor I can see is framerate. All the games listed as not having this issue are a solid 60fps or close to it. Maybe you're just very sensitive to framerate issues.

Ok so lets get this straight and figure this out, so the reason why I see interlacing is becuase those games that run less than 60frames will produce that issue no matter what display you have right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
What i'm trying to do is find out why this is happening because if its happening on any displays then i wont have to sell my sony crt to buy another lcd display again in which i returned becuase of this issue in the first place.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pctek /forum/post/12631156

Ok so lets get this straight and figure this out, so the reason why I see interlacing is becuase those games that run less than 60frames will produce that issue no matter what display you have right?

Well, it's just a guess. But if you've seeing the same issue on a CRT, 5 different LCD sets, and the instore kiosks it seems likely that's it's not a display-dependant problem.

·
Registered
235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/12632023

Well, it's just a guess. But if you've seeing the same issue on a CRT, 5 different LCD sets, and the instore kiosks it seems likely that's it's not a display-dependant problem.

Ok but now I need more people confirming this issue here in the forums. I havent had anyone say " yes I see that same issue your describing" etc you know?

·
Registered
235 Posts
You know what i think i got to excited about this 30 frames vs 60 frames being the issue. First of all again its not tearing issue, I know what tearing looks like i'm a computer tech got my own bussiness btw, been playing pc gmaes since early 90's i'm 31 years old, so i seen, been, through alot of video cards issues, building gaming pc's for myself, So as you guys know when you play a pc game and if the frames drop lower than whatever you monitors refresh rate is set to then your gonna see tearing, unless you turn on vynsc.

Now i'm new to console gaming on tv displays, so the issue i been describing here isnt tearing. Now I do see tearing in games like uncharted, heavenly sword, god of wars etc. Thanks....

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
You mention your most recent LCD was an Aquos 32". Since I have this set, I can tell you I have no idea what sort of effect you're talking about.

Perhaps it's simply the result of an inconsistent framerate? I've played pretty much all of the games you listed above (on my Aquos display) and can't figure out what you're noticing.

It may be what Slacker George says. The games you say have no signs of this issue all run at a smooth 60fps. The others run at more inconsistent framerates (hovering around--but not locked at--30fps).

But if it were just that, then you wouldn't isolate just those few PS2 games since pretty much all of them run at 30fps or less. Frankly, I'm stumped. I feel like you're asking us a riddle or something. Any more clues?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts