AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cat5e to my PS3 which comes from a D-Link wireless N router. It goes to a network switch at the PS3 which then goes to PS3, satellite, and music player(Logitech Duet). I have noticed that every time the microwave is turned on if I am playing PS3 on line I will lose my connection and be signed out of the PSN network and the same goes for the Logitech Duet.


I do not understand what could be causing this. I am running a wired connection and the microwave is on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit in the kitchen. The only wire that is near the microwave is a quad shielded coax cable for the satellite. That wire does go down to a central location where my networking, phone and coax cables are.


I am lost please help me thanks alot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts
I think the microwave runs on the same frequency as your router. Same type of interferences with cordless phones. But your on wired for the router and that may be getting the interference. One thing I could recommend doing is move your microwave and router to see if you can stop the interference. I have a D-link 655 and I do not lose any interference. . The other issue might be your microwave leaks alot of radiation and upgrading to a newer microwave may solve the issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,646 Posts
What type of internet service do you have?


If it involves your satellite cable, the microwave could still be affecting the internet connection.


Have you noticed if this affects your internet connectivity on your PCs/laptops when you turn on your microwave?


How far away is your microwave from your router?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/16977308


I think the microwave runs on the same frequency as your router. Same type of interferences with cordless phones. But your on wired for the router and that may be getting the interference. One thing I could recommend doing is move your microwave and router to see if you can stop the interference. I have a D-link 655 and I do not lose any interference. . The other issue might be your microwave leaks alot of radiation and upgrading to a newer microwave may solve the issue.

I have the DIR 655 also. I have had the microwave for years and it has only been doing this recently. The only thing I added was a wired coax that is next to the microwave and in the same structured wiring box as the network, a few network switches and the Logitech Duet. I even hooked the PS3 straight up to the modem and had the same problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/16977425


What type of internet service do you have?


If it involves your satellite cable, the microwave could still be affecting the internet connection.


Have you noticed if this affects your internet connectivity on your PCs/laptops when you turn on your microwave?


How far away is your microwave from your router?

I have DSL.


The microwave will affect my wireless laptop and also my pc which has a wired connection like the PS3. I have structured wiring with ethernet and coax in on location.


Microwave is at least 50' away from router.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/16977573


I have the DIR 655 also. I have had the microwave for years and it has only been doing this recently. The only thing I added was a wired coax that is next to the microwave and in the same structured wiring box as the network, a few network switches and the Logitech Duet. I even hooked the PS3 straight up to the modem and had the same problem.

Take the microwave into the farthest room and turn it on. I am not sure what else you can really do if you hooked it directly to the modem. Other wise try a new microwave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/16976960


I have cat5e to my PS3 which comes from a D-Link wireless N router. It goes to a network switch at the PS3 which then goes to PS3, satellite, and music player(Logitech Duet). I have noticed that every time the microwave is turned on if I am playing PS3 on line I will lose my connection and be signed out of the PSN network and the same goes for the Logitech Duet.


I do not understand what could be causing this. I am running a wired connection and the microwave is on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit in the kitchen. The only wire that is near the microwave is a quad shielded coax cable for the satellite. That wire does go down to a central location where my networking, phone and coax cables are.


I am lost please help me thanks alot.

Since you've already tried a direct connection to the modem and had the same problem, you've eliminated many of the variables. The next best bet would be to do as Brandon B suggested, and temporarily take the coax cable completely out of the picture. Try again and see if the same thing happens. If the devices maintain their connection w/o the coax cable there and the microwave on, then it may be the case that the coax cable is carrying the interference emitted from the microwave throughout your building and right down to what is essentially your MDF. From there, it's likely leaking into your building's cabling, including the Cat3 cables for voice. That might be just enough interference for the DSL modem to lose its connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrexl /forum/post/16978951


You might need a firmware update for the microwave. A hacked firmware would even let you cook foods from other regions.


But seriously, does changing the channel on the router help?


I have changed the channel on the router. Still did not help. I guess my next step is the coax cable. I did unhook the cable at the central wiring and it did not fix the problem. Next I will re-route the coax and try to avoid the microwave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still having the same problems and it now affecting my desktop also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allworld /forum/post/17058600


Still having the same problems and it now affecting my desktop also.

Have you tried using a different microwave oven in the same location to see if that interferes with the operation of the wifi? If the microwave oven is the problem, no other solutions are going to help, so you need to eliminate that as the offending piece of hardware.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
wrap everything in foil, this is what I do to prtect myself from micro and gamma rays
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/17059784


Take your wireless router out of your microwave... that might help!

Never thought about that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,473 Posts
I also could not solve my signal strength issues, it seems there is something in my kitchen wall which is hard for the signal to pass thru. My solution was to get a wireless n gaming adapter (from the Circuit City closing sale)


I'm able to position the box were it catches the signal from the router and i get close to double the speeds as per speedtest.net
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,371 Posts
Wow, finally someone has the same problem as I do.


Do you know how many SOCOM II matches were brutally interrupted by my girl trying to heat some sh!t up in the microwave? I've screamed and cursed at her so many times, she's "shellshocked" into asking me if it's ok to turn on the microwave every time she uses it, lol.


You just can't use the microwave while you're gaming. I've been dealing with this for 6 years.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top