AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I fired up my PS3 yesterday for the first time in 3 months >.< After installing a mandatory update, I opened up netflix and started playing some videos that I know for certain are 2-channel audio videos. However, the PS3 outputs this stereo audio as if it is 5.1 channel audio. Only the front right speaker and front left speaker have any sound, but my Denon AVR-790 says "multi in" as the incoming audio format via HDMI. This is driving me crazy because now I can't run pro logic II sound processing to make it surround sound. I have to go into the PS3 audio options and selecting 2 channel audio as my only available sound output format if I want to apply PLII processing. Whats the deal here? Does anyone know of a fix for this? I want my PS3 to output stereo audio content in netflix in stereo format. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Same thing reported in the streaming subforum. The problem started with the recent v2.04 update to the app.

There isn't a fix but there is a workaround apparently: uncheck LPCM 5.1, 7.1 etc. in the audio output format screen...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I'm using the current PS3 firmware and the older Netflix version (forcing it to not update) without this issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Vudu works just fine for me its decoding dd+ like it always have . Its not a ps3 issue because i updated to v3.70 and netflix hadn't released thier v2.04 yet and netflix was working fine . But after netflix updated is when the problems started for me . I have called netflix & they were no help . The lady I was speaking with also told me she would send me a email after talking to her so i could send a link to this forum and posts so that there research dept could see it was not only me having issues . Never got the email from them and I am thinking of just cancelling netflix if this doesn't get fixed . or until they fix it .

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
my issue is that now everything 5.1 from netflix just plays "multichannel"....

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwhattoput /forum/post/20881422

Vudu works just fine for me its decoding dd+ like it always have . Its not a ps3 issue because i updated to v3.70 and netflix hadn't released thier v2.04 yet and netflix was working fine . But after netflix updated is when the problems started for me . I have called netflix & they were no help . The lady I was speaking with also told me she would send me a email after talking to her so i could send a link to this forum and posts so that there research dept could see it was not only me having issues . Never got the email from them and I am thinking of just cancelling netflix if this doesn't get fixed . or until they fix it .

Your getting dd+ on your PS3 with Vudu? I might have been out of it for a while but I recall no one with a PS3 getting dd+. Can I ask what model PS3 you have and what your audio settings are?

I can accept Netflix's blunder as I'm canceling there steaming shortly anyway with the price hike. But I would still like to see dd+ from Vudu and I can't get anything except for "Multi Ch In" on my Denon and PS3 slim with their app.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/20936203

Your getting dd+ on your PS3 with Vudu? I might have been out of it for a while but I recall no one with a PS3 getting dd+. Can I ask what model PS3 you have and what your audio settings are?

I can accept Netflix's blunder as I'm canceling there steaming shortly anyway with the price hike. But I would still like to see dd+ from Vudu and I can't get anything except for "Multi Ch In" on my Denon and PS3 slim with their app.

i say its dolby digital plus because thats what vudu advertises they use and my receiver can decode it ... when i play a movie from them my receiver Onkyo HT-RC260 says dolby digital 5.1 hooked up via hdmi I have a slim 160gb the audio settings were auto confinged when i hooked up my ps3 . my model # is CECH-2501A hope this helps

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham
But I would still like to see dd+ from Vudu and I can't get anything except for "Multi Ch In" on my Denon and PS3 slim with their app.
Hi tingham, also would like to see DD+ with Vudu but only able to get DD. I have a PS3 slim and the audio settings are Bitstream with 7.1 48KHz and 7.1 96KHz unchecked.

What I don't understand is the new 3.70 software update can now do DTSHD-MA with 3D movies. Why can't this be fix for Netflix and Vudu (to get DD+)?

·
Registered
19,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/20937702

Hi tingham, also would like to see DD+ with Vudu but only able to get DD. I have a PS3 slim and the audio settings are Bitstream with 7.1 48KHz and 7.1 96KHz unchecked.

What I don't understand is the new 3.70 software update can now do DTSHD-MA with 3D movies. Why can't this be fix for Netflix and Vudu (to get DD+)?

This is a well known bug existing years. The simple answer is that Sony appears not to care enough to fix it.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/20936203

I'm not sure it's a Netflix/Vudu issue (though I'm in Canada so I can't really speak for Vudu). As for Netflix, as a test I disabled all LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 options and now stereo Netflix content comes in as PCM 2.0 from my PS3 but 5.1 content comes in as DD 5.1 so I'm inclined to believe it's a Sony firmware issue rather than a Netflix issue.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkwhattoput /forum/post/20937379

i say its dolby digital plus because thats what vudu advertises they use and my receiver can decode it ... when i play a movie from them my receiver Onkyo HT-RC260 says dolby digital 5.1 hooked up via hdmi I have a slim 160gb the audio settings were auto confinged when i hooked up my ps3 . my model # is CECH-2501A hope this helps

Ok thanks for the reply...you are only getting DD then. Your avr would display DD+ if you were receiving it thru the Vudu app. DD+ has never worked with Vudu or Netflix with any model of PS3, afaik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVT /forum/post/20938399

I'm not sure it's a Netflix/Vudu issue (though I'm in Canada so I can't really speak for Vudu). As for Netflix, as a test I disabled all LPCM 5.1 and 7.1 options and now stereo Netflix content comes in as PCM 2.0 from my PS3 but 5.1 content comes in as DD 5.1 so I'm inclined to believe it's a Sony firmware issue rather than a Netflix issue.

I believe the problem with the Netflix app had something to do with their update because the blank channels being sent started happening right after I updated their app. Msgohan confirms no issues with his setup running the old app with the newest firmware.

As far as Vudu is concerned for me, I changed nothing on my setup and all of a sudden Vudu is displaying "Multi Ch In" instead of DD on my setup, thus most likely throwing 2 blank channels. I could disable some sound settings settings to remedy the situation, but that creates problems with other sound setting situations in my setup. I really don't mind getting "Multi Ch In" with Vudu as it's the same as DD really. But I'm still hoping for DD+. Whether I hear a difference between the two is debatable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/20937702

I think Netflix and Vudu have their own sound implementing issues when it comes to the PS3. PS3 firmware and sound updates do not help there cause, that's for sure. I hope someday everything works properly, but it could take years.

For almost 3 years the PS3 thru blank channels with 2ch content. Screwing up post processing for many avr owners who connected the ps3 thru hdmi. The only workaround was to run optical. Sony finally fixed it in a firmware update.

Until Netflix and Vudu realize the PS3 is a whole other animal when it comes to implementing sound, these issues will continue imo. Plus I'm sure it's no help for them if Sony changes something in a firmware update that makes it even more difficult for them to implement sound properly.

Hopefully it will all come together someday. Let's face it, it still sounds pretty good even with all the nuisances, but there is nothing wrong with wishing to have the best sound possible with all these apps and the PS3.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/20951042

Hopefully it will all come together someday. Let's face it, it still sounds pretty good even with all the nuisances, but there is nothing wrong with wishing to have the best sound possible with all these apps and the PS3.

Here is a respond I got from Sony.

Quote:
I do apologize at this time, we do not have any available information on when the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system will be able to bit stream DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS or when an update will be available.

But do agree with you that it still sounds pretty good without DD+.

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts
My Yamaha RX-V361 will process DD 2.0 with Dolby Pro Logic. It won't process DD 2.0 with Pro Logic II. I don't have Netflix, but is it possible Netflix was streaming PCM for it's 2 channel content and is now streaming bitstream?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.