AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are at least 5 other VGA threads but this is a bit more complex in my situation.... My Monitor is 5 years old... but it's still pretty! Anyway...

I have some very puzzling (at least to myself) questions concerning 1024 x 768.

Primarily what I'm intending on doing is using my old LCD monitor (Hp Pavilion f1503) to game with. If I use an HDMI to VGA connector will it even show a picture? If it won't, if I use a VGA Converter will I lose signal and end up with a picture less than what I'm going for?

I have looked at the HDfury converter, and on their website they talk about 1280x720 being 720p. But according to this guy ( removed a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with what I'm asking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyj19 /forum/post/9017337

There's a few things going on here.

The native resolution of a 1366x768 panel is not 720p. If anything, it is 768p, since all input is scaled to the 768 lines. But, of course, 768p is not a resolution that is used in the source material.

How can 1024x768 be HD, you ask. Many dozens of people have asked that over and over here in the forum. The answer is, the Consumer Electronics Association has decided that any display with at least 720 lines can be called an HDTV and have the logo. There is some basis in fact for this because the human eye is more sensitive to vertical resolution than to horizontal resolution.

We have had intense wars about whether that CEA definition is legitimate. Believe what you will, and if you don't think 1024x768 is HD, buy something else. Vote with your wallet. Simple as that.

In the case of LCD, it is difficult to make large pixels. This is one reason why 1366x768 has been used. Also, please do not forget that a lot of HD is in 1080i, so 1920x1080 has to be downscaled to 1366x768. Conversely, 1280x720 has to be upscaled to 1366x768.

To those who say, but wouldn't it be a good idea if the panel were 1280x720 so at least one of the resolutions wouldn't have to be scaled, I say nope! For one thing, you'd be downscaling 1920x1080 all the way down to 1280x720, so you'd lose a lot of resolution on the very format that is supposed to be giving you lots of detail, which is also what most channels broadcast in. For another thing, the extra resolution is really helpful on things like diagonal lines, where you can smooth out the line. If you were in 1280x720 on a 32 or 37 inch display, you'd probably be complaining that the display looks all blocky and pixelated because the pixels are just too big and the diagonal lines have too much stairstepping.

Turns out you can get 1280x720, but you have to go all the way down to 22 and 23 inches, where it works nicely.

Basically 1024x720 is HD. (at least that's what I gathered from that response)

Further more if an HD-VGA cable will work, My monitor has zero built in speakers, and neither did the one in the HDfury video I watched... Where will my sound come from? I have looked on the back of the ps3 and I have yet to see an imput for speakers.

The research on this is really starting to become a chore, and I'm starting to think that this may not be a possibility. The only thing that keeps me going is the fact that I KNOW I had a roommate who played his ps2 on his monitor with sound, and he used it because it would give him a better picture.

If anyone can shed some light on what I should be doing to use my monitor and take advantage of what resolution I've got available, without spending a small fortune, it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have the HD Fury and it works great. The audio can be output through the cable that came with the PS3. Just go to Sound Settings in XMB and select SCART output and run that to your sound system. The display settings should be set to HDMI and you can check 1080p.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts