AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this maybe a stupid question but here go.can a ps3 or xbox 360 with a usb connected external drive be used like popcorn hour.i wand to rip my dvds and blurays to a hardrive to watch .ive been looking at all the media tanks but if the ps3 will do it there is no sense in getting something else thanks

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcrowell /forum/post/17016391

this maybe a stupid question but here go.can a ps3 or xbox 360 with a usb connected external drive be used like popcorn hour.i wand to rip my dvds and blurays to a hardrive to watch .ive been looking at all the media tanks but if the ps3 will do it there is no sense in getting something else thanks

External HD on console are limited to Fat32 filesystem and as such have a maximum filesize of 4gig per file so you can forget about BR rip on external HDD. Even your DVD will have to be compressed to fit that limitation.

The best way is to use them as media extender and stream your media to them via network from your PC with a media server application like TVersity or PS3 Media Server.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.