AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that you can add external HDD to the PS3 now, even with it's internal 320 GB HDD. I like that the PS3 can serve quite a few purposes. Some have mentioned that the navigation isn't so good. Has there been any improvement lately? I would like to get a PS3 for other uses such as a few games, BD and movie playback etc, so I was hoping the PS3 could work well as a music server/player too. I much prefer to store my music as lossless .wav files.

Any thoughts? Some more questions:

1) Also, if the PS3 is useful for my purposes, which unit is best, and/or are there any differences between units anymore? The 160 GB or the 320 GB?

2) Can I connect an external HDD that is FAT32 and use it to play back music?

3) Can you upgrade the HDD in the PS3 and if so, how big can you go?

thanks,

·
Registered
858 Posts
PS3 is not suited to such a purpose.

It is not a media server and is not a DLNA DMC renderer either so it couldn't be controlled by a DLNA digital media controller application. Your stuck using the game pad/remote and having the TV on to see what your doing.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 /forum/post/20786819

PS3 is not suited to such a purpose.

It is not a media server and is not a DLNA DMC renderer either so it couldn't be controlled by a DLNA digital media controller application. Your stuck using the game pad/remote and having the TV on to see what your doing.

Ok, fair enough. That clears that up. Too bad. I thought there were some people who use it for music, but I guess they do that just because they have it, and not because it's ideal.

If I got a PS3 and wanted to use it to play back music, I could get a small LED monitor and use the BD remote?

·
Registered
858 Posts
Yeah you can do that.

But there are better options, get a WDTV Live Hub which has a built in 1TB HDD and DLNA server.

Copy over all your media onto the internal HDD and install a DLNA DMC app on your phone like Plugplayer, set the Hub as the server and the renderer and you know have headless playback of media through the Hub.

Or get a Tvix Slim S1 player which can be controlled via web browser for headless playback of media.

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx330 /forum/post/20787695

Yeah you can do that.

But there are better options, get a WDTV Live Hub which has a built in 1TB HDD and DLNA server.

Copy over all your media onto the internal HDD and install a DLNA DMC app on your phone like Plugplayer, set the Hub as the server and the renderer and you know have headless playback of media through the Hub.

Or get a Tvix Slim S1 player which can be controlled via web browser for headless playback of media.

Interesting.

So I could control a media server with my cell phone? I am ok just to have HDD storage and playback locally, but if I can stream it to another part of the house, that would be cool too. I will check these things out.

What do I need to connect to my receiver in the other room for audio and video? What wireless device would I use? I guess I should let you know what I have so I can figure out how to do all things I want to do. I will start another thread and you can jump in if you like or keep up this one.

thanks for the idea's,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.