AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
note SACDs will only play on some versions of the PS3 http://www.ps3sacd.com

DVD-A: the PS3 can only play the DVD-V layer (you might get hirez stereo on some recordings that have it in the -V layer)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16987818

note SACDs will only play on some versions of the PS3 http://www.ps3sacd.com

DVD-A: the PS3 can only play the DVD-V layer (you might get hirez stereo on some recordings that have it in the -V layer)

what do you mean by DVD-V layer? i actually just bought a Porcupine Tree CD/DVD-A and the DVD-A disc plays on my PS3. i'm listening to the 5.1 surround 1.5 Mbps 48kHz DTS track on it right now. are you saying there should be a lossless track on here as well?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
A DVD-Audio disc contains content that requires a DVD-Audio player to play as well as content that can be played in any DVD player. DVD-V refers to the content that can be played by any DVD player. This allows for backward compatability for those with DVD players but not DVD-Audio players. As SiriuslyCold notes, some DVD-Audio releases feature hi-res stereo in the DVD-V portion of the release.

With your current setup, you are listening to only DVD-V content and are not able to listen to the content that requires a DVD-Audio player. If you were able to play the DVD-Audio content you would also be able to listen to the PT disc's multichannel lossless content (so the answer to your last question is yes).

If interested, you may want to put the disc into a computer and browse the contents (i.e., explorer) - you will see a directory called "VIDEO_TS" and another called "AUDIO_TS". VIDEO_TS contains the content that is playable by any dvd player while the AUDIO_TS content requires a player that can play DVD-Audio format.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i see. thanks. the 1.5Mbps track sounds damn good to me and my receiver isn't an HDMI receiver, so i can't play the lossless stuff anyway.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
786 Posts
Does your reciever have a 5.1/7.1 analog input? If so you can get an older DVD player that supports DVD-A (panasonic XP30, XP50 and RP82 are all nice) to get lossless DVD-A. This is what I am currently using until I get around to getting the Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblHelix /forum/post/16988666

Does your reciever have a 5.1/7.1 analog input? If so you can get an older DVD player that supports DVD-A (panasonic XP30, XP50 and RP82 are all nice) to get lossless DVD-A. This is what I am currently using until I get around to getting the Oppo BDP-83 blu-ray player.

it probably does. i'm good with what i have. the 1.5Mbps tracks sound fine to me.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbona /forum/post/16988470

If you were able to play the DVD-Audio content you would also be able to listen to the PT disc's multichannel lossless content (so the answer to your last question is yes).
@mcjasonb

to add to that, a lot of times (all the time?), the extra tracks on PT discs are only available on the DVD-A layer in surround (no stereo or DTS). for example if its Deadwing there's 3 extra tracks + an easter egg (shesmovedon)

I know the DTS tracks sound reasonably good, but if you compare the bandwidth - DTS at 1.5Mbps, MLP at ~9Mbps ... you can see how much information is lost

·
Registered
2,043 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/16990374

@mcjasonb

to add to that, a lot of times (all the time?), the extra tracks on PT discs are only available on the DVD-A layer in surround (no stereo or DTS). for example if its Deadwing there's 3 extra tracks + an easter egg (shesmovedon)

I know the DTS tracks sound reasonably good, but if you compare the bandwidth - DTS at 1.5Mbps, MLP at ~9Mbps ... you can see how much information is lost

the one i just bought was the Remaster of "Lightbulb sun" and the bonus tracks are playable on my PS3. i'm sure the lossless may sound better, but for now i'm just going to have to stick with what i have.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i need to get in absentia on dvd-a. that album must be nice in surround sound.

·
Registered
Onkyo TX-NR5009, AppleTV 4K, Sony KDL-55W900A, M&K s-125 lcr, M&K SS-150 surround, SVS 16-46pci sub
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen /forum/post/16990486

There's complicated ways for transcoding DVD-A to a BD (and then you can play the "lossless" on your PS3), but you're probably not interested in that...

How do you do this? This would make it so I don't need to get a new player that can handle all formats over HDMI.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts