AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. This is the situation. I'm wanting to hook up my PS3 to my 6.1 Onkyo receiver via the optical audio cable. Previously, when I had everything hooked up the sound only comes out of 5 speakers. I noticed in the audio settings on the PS3 the only options besides the other ones I have no clue about is the dolby 5.1 and dts 5.1. I guess my question would be, what do I need to do or set the PS3 to in order to get 6.1 sorround sound out of my PS3? Your help is much appreciated.

maquaw

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
No source... well very few source mix in 6.1. Everything is 5.1 or 7.1. Your onkyo show matrix it down or up to 6.1.

You probably have to adjust the presets on you onkyo for pcm sources.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If the PS3 puts out DD or DTS, the receiver can matrix it up to 6.1 or 7.1 no problem.

On the Onkyo, you will have to change sound modes until you see "dolby digital EX" on the display. I you just see DTS or Dolby Digital, keep switching modes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15447247

If the PS3 puts out DD or DTS, the receiver can matrix it up to 6.1 or 7.1 no problem.

On the Onkyo, you will have to change sound modes until you see "dolby digital EX" on the display. I you just see DTS or Dolby Digital, keep switching modes.

I tried every mode that the receiver has but for some reason it doesn't want to play out of the front right speaker.

As far as the matrixing is concerned I have no clue what you guys are talking about there. Can you elaborate a little further?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
If no sound is coming out of the front right speaker you most likely have a connection issue.

As for the matrixing that's from the listening modes on your onkyo.

If you look in the manual it'll have a chart of which ones work for what speaker set up and what source material.

Listening modes like Neo 6 taked 5.1 material and create a phantom 6th back source from the 2 surround sources. source... OR they tak 7.1 material and matrix the rear 2 into 1 source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.