AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my PS3 connected to my HDTV via HDMI. I have my Ear Force X4 5.1 wireless headset connected to my HDTV via optical cable. In order for me to hear any sound through the headset, I have to select HDMI via the PS3 audio settings. My question is, which audio output format/s do I select?

·
Banned
4,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown /forum/post/15425087

I have my PS3 connected to my HDTV via HDMI. I have my Ear Force X4 5.1 wireless headset connected to my HDTV via optical cable. In order for me to hear any sound through the headset, I have to select HDMI via the PS3 audio settings. My question is, which audio output format/s do I select?

For sound through the headphones, you'll need to select optical in the sounds setting menu (not hdmi).

Edit: wait, I'm confused you say you have to select hdmi as your audio source and your connected optical...how does that work?

·
Registered
523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekborg /forum/post/15427074

For sound through the headphones, you'll need to select optical in the sounds setting menu (not hdmi).

Edit: wait, I'm confused you say you have to select hdmi as your audio source and your connected optical...how does that work?

let me simplify it for you kek,

ps3 to tv=hdmi

tv to headset=optical.

to the op, i think the optical out only works with ota when using an antenna. try plugging the optical cable from the ps3 to the headset then just change your audio settings to optical out when using the headset.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmouse /forum/post/15428036

let me simplify it for you kek,

ps3 to tv=hdmi

tv to headset=optical.

to the op, i think the optical out only works with ota when using an antenna. try plugging the optical cable from the ps3 to the headset then just change your audio settings to optical out when using the headset.

I don't think I made myself clear. The headset works perfectly well the way it's connected. I have my DIRECTV HD receiver, Xbox 360 and PS3 all connected to my HDTV via HDMI. I have the Ear Force X4 headset connected to my HDTV via optical. I didn't think that it would work that way but amazingly, I can hear sound from whatever input is selected out of the headset and the TV speakers. Anyway, what I'm asking is if anyone knows the correct audio output formats (DD 5.1 for example) that the Ear Force X4 is compatible with. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomieDaClown /forum/post/15428070

I don't think I made myself clear. The headset works perfectly well the way it's connected. What I'm asking is if anyone knows the correct audio output formats (DD 5.1 for example) that the Ear Force X4 is compatible with. Sorry for the confusion.

Dolby Headphone decoding needs Dolby Digital 5.1 input.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
I guess the question is what can your TV output through its optical out with HDMI input? If you are sending it 5.1 channel uncompressed audio the most it can output is 2.1 uncompressed audio through optical. At that point you are not sending a surround sound signal to your X4.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15428515

I guess the question is what can your TV output through its optical out with HDMI input? If you are sending it 5.1 channel uncompressed audio the most it can output is 2.1 uncompressed audio through optical. At that point you are not sending a surround sound signal to your X4.

I'm pretty sure my HDTV can accept a 5.1 signal through optical since I can hear sounds behind me when playings certain FPS games like World @ War.

·
Registered
9,433 Posts
Optical will be 2 channel uncompressed PCM otherwise it will be compressed Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1. You were asking about PCM through optical so no that won't be 5.1. If your TV can maintain the 5.1 Dolby Digital signal then it should work with the X4.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.