AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you output sound thru hdmi and optical on a ps3? I want the sound to the tv for those times when I want the self timer. Normally, I just use the opitical in on my sterio. I have a good amp, but it doesn't have hdmi inputs. Besides, I haven't found any hdmi 1.3 amps that have more than 2 hdmi inputs. I want a blu ray player to go with the 360 hd add on. I'll just rent and watch good hd in whatever format. I love HD. I watched the Errol Flynn Robin Hood last night. It is hard to watch non hd now. What have I done

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
No, unfortunately not.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I should be on board the blu ray side soon. That way, I will have both players and rent movies from netflix. I just love HD and can care less about what format wins. I'm having a hard time watching sd content now. Well cable sd. Upconverted dvds are ok. Does the ps3 include the hdmi cable? Is the ps3 hdmi 1.3? I assume the 60 gb is the model to get. I have a lot of old ps2 games and even a few old ps1 favorites. Does the ps3 play all of them? Or is it like the ms backward compatibility, only some games?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The PS3 does not come with an HDMI cable (not even component). So out of the box you are not going to get anything in high def from your PS3--you will need to purchase an additional cable.

And the 60 GB is the model to get, because they have taken the 20 GB model off the market.

With the latest update, your PS3 will now upconvert your standard DVD collection, so that's good news.

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindwarper /forum/post/0

Well, I should be on board the blu ray side soon. That way, I will have both players and rent movies from netflix. I just love HD and can care less about what format wins. I'm having a hard time watching sd content now. Well cable sd. Upconverted dvds are ok. Does the ps3 include the hdmi cable? Is the ps3 hdmi 1.3? I assume the 60 gb is the model to get. I have a lot of old ps2 games and even a few old ps1 favorites. Does the ps3 play all of them? Or is it like the ms backward compatibility, only some games?

Being in America, you're in luck with the early PS1 and PS2 games: our version of the PS3 still has the "emotion engine" chipset. This is the chipset that was in the PS2, so you should have very little issue with playback. In some other countries Sony is handling playback of earlier games with software, and not always successfully.

Be aware that plans are to do the same here in America to lower manufacturing costs, so I wouldn't wait too long, if playback of PS1 and PS2 games are important to you.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonwalker /forum/post/0

Being in America, you're in luck with the early PS1 and PS2 games: our version of the PS3 still has the "emotion engine" chipset. This is the chipset that was in the PS2, so you should have very little issue with playback. In some other countries Sony is handling playback of earlier games with software, and not always successfully.

Be aware that plans are to do the same here in America to lower manufacturing costs, so I wouldn't wait too long, if playback of PS1 and PS2 games are important to you.

Thanks for the info. Old game playback is an issue. Just because I have so many. I can already upconvert on the 360, but more games and more hd content sounds great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.