AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching about back-up data today since my 60gb decided to kick the bucket yesterday. Here are some things that I cannot find info on.

1. Is it possible to have more than one back-up data on the same external hdd? It can hold more than one back-up data!


2. When transferring data from one PS3 to another (i.e. from my 60gb to my wife's 40gb) using the back-up/restore utility, will everything copy over (i.e. PSN games [self-purchased and shared with other family members], saves, music/playlists, videos)?


What I plan on doing is loading backing up my wife's data using the back-up utility and loading mine on her system. From there, I want to copy my saves to a flash drive from my back-up data and then restoring her data back on her system. This way I can try to catch-up on my progress since my back-up data is from 12th Dec.


3. I have no way to deactivate my busted ps3, will that cause problems with shared content?


Thanks for any and all help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
I don't have videos, music, pics or purchased content on my ps3 and when I just did my last back up, it required 17 gigs so I hope you have a huge flash drive! Plus the full back up will not keep trophy information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio /forum/post/15520772


I don't have videos, music, pics or purchased content on my ps3 and when I just did my last back up, it required 17 gigs so I hope you have a huge flash drive! Plus the full back up will not keep trophy information.

I have a 250gb external hdd that I intend to use. That's why I was asking question #1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
When I did my back up I believe you have the ability to choose, but since I only had one back up on the external drive it only showed the one before I confirmed. When I did the restore everything was like it was before I formated the drive. But I did not have any purchased material either, that is why I prefer having the disk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kciaccio /forum/post/15520833


When I did my back up I believe you have the ability to choose, but since I only had one back up on the external drive it only showed the one before I confirmed. When I did the restore everything was like it was before I formated the drive. But I did not have any purchased material either, that is why I prefer having the disk.

Well, I cannot purchase disc versions of games like PixelJunk Eden, Elephunk, Echocrome, Jeopardy... that's why I asked about PSN games.


Maybe I should have specified that they are PSN only games (i.e. not Burnout, SOCOM or Warhawk).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can do more than two. Because I have a partition on my external hdd for my ps3 backup (I have 80g ps the partition is around 77g). I always have to delete it because the ps3 says there isn't enough room for the backup.


If it deletes the existing one, i shouldn't get that message right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram /forum/post/15520975


I'm pretty sure you can do more than two. Because I have a partition on my external hdd for my ps3 backup (I have 80g ps the partition is around 77g). I always have to delete it because the ps3 says there isn't enough room for the backup.


If it deletes the existing one, i shouldn't get that message right?

No, you shouldn't. I'm backing up my wife's ps3 data right now and it's going through.


So that takes care of question #1.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
I know for a fact that when you reload the back up it includes all downloads and saves.


I didn't have trophies when i did this so i'm not sure about that, but they are tied to your psn so they should carry over.


As log as you loggin to the ps3 w/ your psn all the dlc games should work as usual. (-1 of X downloads allowed)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetram /forum/post/15521982


I know for a fact that when you reload the back up it includes all downloads and saves.


I didn't have trophies when i did this so i'm not sure about that, but they are tied to your psn so they should carry over.


As log as you loggin to the ps3 w/ your psn all the dlc games should work as usual. (-1 of X downloads allowed)

I just found out that if you take back-up data from PS3 A and put it on PS3 B, your downloaded games do not show up, neither does your game data. Save data showed up (all except Motorstorm: Pacific Rift which means all the data for that game is lost).


Trophies are linked online, so they all showed up on my wife's PS3 regardless.


Another thing that sucks is that all the games that have updates need to be redownloaded again... can you say "Time Consuming"?


I have no idea where the LBP data is stored. The only thing I saw under the Save Data was the Profile of the game. There was no game save for that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/15524664


except purchased videos!

You can add games to that as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts
Answers could all be found here .


"The PLAYSTATION 3 system's Backup Utility feature can be used to create a back-up of all data from the PLAYSTATION 3 system's Hard Disk Drive (HDD) on a removable storage media (such as, USB storage device, MemoryStick, SD Memory Card, or CompactFlash®). This feature can also be used to restore data that has already been backed up.


Note: Requires PLAYSTATION 3 system software update version 1.32 or later.


Please note that the following copy-protected content will not be transferable:


* Digital Right Management (DRM)

* PlayStation® format software game data

* PlayStation®2 format software game data

* PLAYSTATION®3 format software Game Save Data flagged as unexportable


Please note that content purchased from the PLAYSTATION®Store can be redownloaded from the PlayStation®Network download list and does not need to be backed up. Click here for instructions on how to access your previously purchased content."


Oh, and King, I'm surprised you weren't aware of the multiple backups on a single HDD. The only issue you have is space allowed and remembering which backup (number) goes with which PS3. But of course you can and should go i and delete some of your old backups to make space for future use too.


Good luck on catching up on lost time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I never thought to try and do more than one. So I thought I'd ask just to see if anyone's done it before. I know it works now.


Thanks for the info. I just don't know how I'm going to deactivate my 60gb from using all the shared content.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
trophies you neddn't worry about since they're locked to your psn ID.


but from what i've gathered, shared stuff and most likely other DL's may not transfer onto another ps3.


with several of the horror stories around here lately, i've been sure to do a back up about once a week(usually every sunday night).


sorry to hear about your machine, shorty!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Matty...


I'm going to write a note on the system when I send it in and ask them if there's any way possible to get back my same unit. I don't mind if they need extra time to fix it if it means that I get to install my hard drive without having to format it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/15525710


Thanks Matty...


I'm going to write a note on the system when I send it in and ask them if there's any way possible to get back my same unit. I don't mind if they need extra time to fix it if it means that I get to install my hard drive without having to format it again.

King...you need to call Sony and give them all your information about the Sub (Not Share as those are bad words) account and have them deactivate it if possible. A call to Sony would be the smart thing to do.


Not to give you reason to worry, but as for a return of the same PS3 - I hope that swapping out the motherboards (we suspect the issue) doesn't alter the PS3 internal ID #s essentially giving you your external shell of a PS3 back, but still a different PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
619 Posts
it is a pity we cannot backup to a network drive. I can stream data from my nas, but it sure would be nice to backup data to it. I don't want to have to an external drive to backup anything, that is why I have network storage. This should be on a wishlist somewhere (along with streaming dvd's)..... It would also be nice to move save games from one ps3 to another directly over the network (unless I'm missing something) . My wife plays oblivion in one room, but sometimes in another. She has to backup to a thumbdrive then move the save game over (PITA).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah dogdoctor, I shall call Sony on Monday to see what they have to say on that issue.


I also understand what you mean by "the shell of the system"... however, we don't really know what the real cause of my PS3's failing is. I cannot diagnose the system on my own because I wouldn't know what I'm looking for. It's all an assumption that the 60gb models suffer from the same defect.


What I did notice my 60gb doing lately is that when you eject a game and turn of the system, the disc sits in the slot until you either remove it or switch the system back on. When I do switch my system back on, the disc does not go fully in. You can still kind of see it sticking out. So I either have to pull it back out or force the whole thing in. I always chose to pull it back out and then place it in the slot and have the system pull it in with me giving it a little extra tap to ensure that it goes in all the way.


I notice that this does not happen with my wife's system. The slot loading mechanism in the newer models sure sounds a lot stronger when accepting/ejecting discs.


Something to look out for, I guess, if you still are using a 60gb system.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top