AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I know all about lpcm vs. Bitstream but my question is. If i have my ps3 fat hooked up to my avr via hdmi and set the ps3 to bitstream, will i still get the regular dd 5.1 signal or will it appear as somthing different

Thanks

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 /forum/post/19562775

^^^ This person has no idea what he's talking about, or has a clock radio hooked up to his PS3.

Even with a somewhat midrange system, it's hard to tell between lossy and lossless beyond differing volume levels. I'd say you need a good $1000 in speakers and a not-crappy receiver to see any difference.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I have 4000 watts of surround sound or so but unfortunately am still using a reciever with no hdmi input. I have the PS3 hooked into my reciever via the optical audio out cable. I just picked up a new Move Bundle PS3 last night. I went into the sound setup and saw no option for bitstream but it did mention that 5.1 DD/DTS is available. Does the new PS3 just simply automatically convert into bitstream to allow reproduction of or 5.1 channels or am I missing something?

I want to upgrade my reciever but it's a thx select 2 pioneer and has worked so well other than not having HDMIs I haven't found a need to and don't have the $$$ right now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven975 /forum/post/19566808

Even with a somewhat midrange system, it's hard to tell between lossy and lossless beyond differing volume levels. I'd say you need a good $1000 in speakers and a not-crappy receiver to see any difference.

Midrange means cheaper AVR which means lack of power, so yes, that volume drop is totally noticeable for many of us ;-)

My yamaha 665 was good in the beginning, but I think I need more !!

I guess I'm about to be an AVR addict like many people.

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF /forum/post/19580334

I have 4000 watts of surround sound or so but unfortunately am still using a reciever with no hdmi input. I have the PS3 hooked into my reciever via the optical audio out cable. I just picked up a new Move Bundle PS3 last night. I went into the sound setup and saw no option for bitstream but it did mention that 5.1 DD/DTS is available. Does the new PS3 just simply automatically convert into bitstream to allow reproduction of or 5.1 channels or am I missing something?

I want to upgrade my reciever but it's a thx select 2 pioneer and has worked so well other than not having HDMIs I haven't found a need to and don't have the $$$ right now.

Thanks.

Certainly someone must know the answer to my question??????

·
Registered
616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19587696

Are you using optical? Set to LPCM and let the PS3 handle it.

Yes, I'm using the optical audio cable. LPCM is pretty much the only option the system gives you. I'm assuming the older models allowed you to send bitstream or atleast select bitstream in the audio menus and the newer models just select appropriately for you?

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
Both the fat and slim PS3s will send the best audio possible over LPCM when that's what you have selected. When I had a fat in the living room, that's all I did - just select the appropriate surround types and LPCM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts