AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my PS3 for a couple of weeks, and up until now, I had no problems with my PS3 and playing back blu-ray movies. However, upon updating to the newest firmware for it today, I am having a lot of problems getting blu-ray movies to play. No problems with Regular DVD's at all. What's also strange is that it's only with certain blu-ray movies. Talladega Nights, and X-men - lots of problems. But Stargate and Saw - both load up fine every time. The specific problem is that on the movies that are having problems, when i select them to play, or they autoload, the screen will go black, the weird circle showing it's loading will appear on the top right screen, but then nothing happens. Nothing except that the "play" indicator comes on the bottom left of the screen once every 20 seconds or so, showing it's trying to play. But nothing else happens. The disc will just not load. Anyone else having this problem? It's driving me nuts! Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried the power switch method...still no luck. What's weird is that sometimes those problem discs work, but it takes a good 10 tries or so to get it to. And while I have heard of that problem with some movies (random pausing during playback), mine is not that problem. I'm saying the disc will never start playing...period. It'll just sit there will a black screen...it won't even get to the crap that plays before you get to the menu screen for the movie (studio intro, previews if there are any, etc).

Like i said, it's also strange because some discs work fine with no problems. But some, like X Men 3 and Talledega Nights, give me so many problems trying to load it's driving me nuts.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan /forum/post/0

Tried the power switch method...still no luck. What's weird is that sometimes those problem discs work, but it takes a good 10 tries or so to get it to. And while I have heard of that problem with some movies (random pausing during playback), mine is not that problem. I'm saying the disc will never start playing...period. It'll just sit there will a black screen...it won't even get to the crap that plays before you get to the menu screen for the movie (studio intro, previews if there are any, etc).

Like i said, it's also strange because some discs work fine with no problems. But some, like X Men 3 and Talledega Nights, give me so many problems trying to load it's driving me nuts.

Any other ideas?

Do you have anything specifically you would like saved on your PS3? You can try doing a system reset. I have been lucky enough not to have any playback issues. I have TN and have had no issues. Is your system noisy enough to be noticed? If the noise level is to high you may have a bad system. However as you mentioned you noticed this problem after updating the FW. Also I'll ask but do you notice any scracthes or smudges? I had a big smudge on Superman Returns once that prevented playback and after cleaning the disk I had no issues.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had my first playback problem the other day with a rental copy of Into the Blue. I've watch several movies before and one movie after without any problems. What's strange is that the rental copy was pristine. I buffed out a couple finger prints, but the disc kept freezing in several spots in the first 30 minutes of the movie. After that I didn't have any more problems.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspears /forum/post/0

I had a problem with my PS3 last weekend. I was watching the Descent and it paused twice during the movie. The pause might have lasted 15 seconds.

That's funny my first PS3 20gb died with the Descent disc inside...It played for awhile and starting skipping and died...Dead unit...I sent the player in to Sony and within 10 business days Sony replaced my PS3 with a brand new one...but I never got my disc back...they want me to send in the receipt which i no longer have...so I guess I am out of a disc.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's the firmware that's been out for a while...i've tried cleaning the discs, and that didn't help...I guess a return might be in order. But I guess I should first try a system reset to make sure that doesn't work. what's the best way to back up all of my saved stuff (game saves, downloads, etc.)? A Memory stick?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just bought a PS3 yesterday and managed to play Blu-Ray Black Hawk Down fine. Today I went to play the movie again and it won't play. After you select the movie to play it goes to a black screen then a grey screen and won't do anything else after that. You can bring up the control panel and quit playback, but it won't return to the XMB. You have to eject the disc and do a shut down by pressing down the power button. I turned it off and then back on after 10 minutes then tried Kung-Fu Hustle, but the same thing happens.

I have now tried this several times with switching resolutions, but nothing is working. I went to the Playstation 3 forums and it seems some people are having issues with firmware 1.32. Blu-Ray movies play fine with any other firmware, however I am not sure if that's it since many here at AVS are fine with movies. What firmware version do you guys have here?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=2

·
Registered
739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwisenyc /forum/post/0

I just bought a PS3 yesterday and managed to play Blu-Ray Black Hawk Down fine. Today I went to play the movie again and it won't play. After you select the movie to play it goes to a black screen then a grey screen and won't do anything else after that. You can bring up the control panel and quit playback, but it won't return to the XMB. You have to eject the disc and do a shut down by pressing down the power button. I turned it off and then back on after 10 minutes then tried Kung-Fu Hustle, but the same thing happens.

I have now tried this several times with switching resolutions, but nothing is working. I went to the Playstation 3 forums and it seems some people are having issues with firmware 1.32. Blu-Ray movies play fine with any other firmware, however I am not sure if that's it since many here at AVS are fine with movies. What firmware version do you guys have here?

http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=2

I have had 1.32 since it was available on day one. No problems well except one unrelated to the issue being experienced here. I will post on a different thread.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
techwisenyc,

I have the same firmware version as you. This has done this to me on two separate 60 GB mdels now. Still only on certain blu-ray discs, problem does not affect games or regular DVD's. My problems do not exist before i have to update my firmware to newest version to get things to work right. This is a very strange issue; I went to the sony forum page you provided and saw other people are having the same issue. Only thing different with me than your problem is that it WILL let me stop playback and exit back out to the XMB when the disc won't load. Still, though, it's essentially the same exact problem. I did get X men 3 on blu-ray to work tonight (randomly), and had no problems with it freezing or anything. But then when I tried to play it again later to see if it would work, it went back to the same problem again. This seems like a firmware issue with certain systems....don't know what else to do.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:

techwisenyc,

I have the same firmware version as you. This has done this to me on two separate 60 GB mdels now. Still only on certain blu-ray discs, problem does not affect games or regular DVD's. My problems do not exist before i have to update my firmware to newest version to get things to work right. This is a very strange issue; I went to the sony forum page you provided and saw other people are having the same issue. Only thing different with me than your problem is that it WILL let me stop playback and exit back out to the XMB when the disc won't load. Still, though, it's essentially the same exact problem. I did get X men 3 on blu-ray to work tonight (randomly), and had no problems with it freezing or anything. But then when I tried to play it again later to see if it would work, it went back to the same problem again. This seems like a firmware issue with certain systems....don't know what else to do.

I have tested with my HDTV and it plays the movie through HDMI, so I have to think is the Panny XR57 receiver that dosen't work well with 1.32 firmware. I have it set to 1080i on the PS3 so it can passthrough the receiver since it dosen't do 1080P. My HDTV does do 1080p though. Nothing seems to work though.....720P nor 1080i passing it through the receiver. Every once in a blue(no pun intended) it loads the movie, but that's like 5% of the time. I remember 1080P would not work through the receiver as the XMB wouldn't show without flickering. I switched it to 1080i and the XMB loads fine, but when it hands to handshake for the Blu-Ray load it hangs.

For some reason I think it's switching back to 1080p when it's handshaking for the movie load. I think that is where the problem occurs. How long have you had the PS3? I just got it Saturday and I'm thinking of doing and exchange and keeping it at the previous firmware.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had this particular PS3 unit for over a week. The only before that (had the same problem with it), I had for about 2 1/2 weeks. My PS3 I have hooked up straight to my Samsung 40 inch LCD throught the HDMI input, so I'm not quite sure what my problem is then.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Smail, just because I've heard some other people have issues after PS3 self-calibration after that update...

Is your video settings output set to YCbCr, RGB, or Auto? See if setting it to RGB helps you out at all. I know logically the problems your experiencing and this 'fix' would seem unrelated, but it's worth the two minutes to test probably.

·
Registered
278 Posts

Quote:

I've had this particular PS3 unit for over a week. The only before that (had the same problem with it), I had for about 2 1/2 weeks. My PS3 I have hooked up straight to my Samsung 40 inch LCD throught the HDMI input, so I'm not quite sure what my problem is then.

Is that Samsung a 1080p?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my PS 3 on Friday. I have had a couple of problems with playback. I would insert the disc and the screen would go black and would not respond. I would have to take the disc out and then turn the PS 3 off and try again. I haven't had any firmware updates so I will see if this makes any difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.