AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play dual layer dvd's (DVD+R DL) that I've used to backup my movie collection. The DL DVD+R works fine on my parent's Panasonic DVD player and on my Mac and PC, but not on the PS3. BTW, I'm using a PC and Nero to burin the DVD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
My guess is that it's just the particular brand of disk you are using that is incompatible.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/15515537

My guess is that it's just the particular brand of disk you are using that is incompatible.

I'm currently using Verbatim DVD+R DL's. Is there a specific brand that is known to work?

·
Registered
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 /forum/post/15515632

I'm currently using Verbatim DVD+R DL's. Is there a specific brand that is known to work?

Sony's brand might.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 /forum/post/15515632

I've actually had the best luck with Verbatim and no luck at all with Memorex. I have read Verbatim DL DVD's in my PS3 but they've been data discs. I can try to burn a movie and see if/how it works. I use Nero 8 myself so I'll see what I can see.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My Verbatim DVD+R DL's play perfect in my PS3. I don't use Nero though. I use ImgBurn.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
So I went and grabbed 300 (retail disc that I own) off my shelf, threw it in the PC, used Smartripper to copy & decrypt the dual layer disc to my hard drive, and then used Nero Burning ROM to make a DVD-Video disc. I popped it in my PS3 and it worked just fine.

The discs are from a 20 pack with the reorder number 95310. You must have "bad" discs that are either slight physical defects or something that happened when you burned them. Worst case would be your drive in the PS3 is flaky but that would be less likely.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Burn speed can often make a big difference on DL discs, sort of like it used to often matter for plain DVD+Rs before drives got better. DL is still relatively difficult for a drive to read because the low contrast in the dye to begin with is compounded by having to see through one layer to the other, so it takes a very good burn for a reliable disk that will work in most players.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ironic. I use Memorex DL DVD+R and they work like a charm. I also use Nero to burn my movies and images.

(cue Alanis Morisette - It's like raiiiiin.....)

·
Registered
19,130 Posts
You do realize that even the end sellers (Verbatim, Maxell, etc) use different manufacturers of disks from time to time. It's hard to know which are generally good or bad. DL discs can be particularly iffy. Verbatim are generally known as the best and most reliable, that's why they're so damn expensive.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Haven't tried myself with dual layer DVDrs but maybe you are using a crappy branded DVDr? I had a similar issue with single layer DVDrs with both 360 and PS3 and realized the batch I had was bad and rated one of the worst ones, burning bad disks or making them incompatible with other devices. For what it is, I now stick to SONY branded DVDrs as they are made by a manufacturer in the higher tier DVDr business (not the best but the best that are easily available and so far have only had 2 bad burns in some 100+ disks)

·
Registered
728 Posts
I had a Sony DVD-burner in my computer several years ago. I think I was the target of a corporate joke, because 1 out of every 4 discs actually burned. Got a new drive, they all worked. I concluded Sony didn't really want you burning anything because they also have a movie studio.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFi /forum/post/15518730

You do realize that even the end sellers (Verbatim, Maxell, etc) use different manufacturers of disks from time to time. It's hard to know which are generally good or bad. DL discs can be particularly iffy. Verbatim are generally known as the best and most reliable, that's why they're so damn expensive.

This. The Memorex batch of DVD+R DL that I bought turned out to be manufactured by Ricoh and were notoriously the worst discs ever created. I had something like a 95% failure rate for burning which meant I threw almost the entire spool away. Even the two discs that I did get to burn I didnt trust and made second copies of on Verbatim discs.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15524354

This. The Memorex batch of DVD+R DL that I bought turned out to be manufactured by Ricoh and were notoriously the worst discs ever created. I had something like a 95% failure rate for burning which meant I threw almost the entire spool away. Even the two discs that I did get to burn I didnt trust and made second copies of on Verbatim discs.

I too went through the same with Memorex. Bought a 50pack and maybe 10-15 were good
I've also had a bad batch of Verbatim as well, 25 pack with 1/2 of them being bad copies. Maybe it was a DVD burner and disk issue, and not just the crappy DVDr disks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've had no problem with the 2 movies I burned so far. One was Transformers, burned onto a Memorex DL DVD, and the other was some Yoga video.

I think it is Memorex, I'll have to check when I get home. I burned them on a Mac (which has a Sony Dual layer burner internal).

·
Registered
405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrossley2 /forum/post/15515529

I'm having problems getting my PS3 to play dual layer dvd's (DVD+R DL) that I've used to backup my movie collection. The DL DVD+R works fine on my parent's Panasonic DVD player and on my Mac and PC, but not on the PS3. BTW, I'm using a PC and Nero to burin the DVD.

Thanks.

I am having the same problem with my verbatim dvd+r dl. Did you finally figure out what you have to do to have ps3 play verbatim dvd+r dl?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts