AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Denon avr 1909 and hooked up my PS3 everything is running great except when I play CD's thru it I can't get any LFE's or bass to go to my subwoofer? Games, DVD's, Blue Ray's all are outputing to sub chanel. Only CD's don't any advice about settings in the PS3 bit rate's or other?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillz75 /forum/post/15446569

I just purchased a Denon avr 1909 and hooked up my PS3 everything is running great except when I play CD's thru it I can't get any LFE's or bass to go to my subwoofer? Games, DVD's, Blue Ray's all are outputing to sub chanel. Only CD's don't any advice about settings in the PS3 bit rate's or other?

CDs don't have an LFE channel encoded - they are all 2.0; everything else your are using has encoded LFE information, and that's what you're hearing through the sub. Thus, you are probably getting exactly what's on the disc - 2 channels of full-range sound.

If you're not happy with the bass response of your main speakers and want to re-direct the low frequencies to the sub, check your bass management settings in both the receiver and the player. [In most equipment, bass management is controlled with the "Large" and "Small" speaker selections - "small" enables BM.] You should only have bass management enabled on ONE device, and it's probably better to have it turned on in the receiver and off in the PS3, to avoid conflicts.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
You could try setting the sub in the 1909 speaker settings menu, to LFE+Main? This might make the 1909 output bass to your sub.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/15446750

You could try setting the sub in the 1909 speaker settings menu, to LFE+Main? This might make the 1909 output bass to your sub.

It's probably a better idea to set the mains to "small" - in which case, the sub setting (LFE vs. LFE+Main) won't matter. If the mains can't handle the low frequencies, there's no point in trying to drive them that low - it just uses power and risks damaging the speakers.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM /forum/post/15447165

It's probably a better idea to set the mains to "small" - in which case, the sub setting (LFE vs. LFE+Main) won't matter. If the mains can't handle the low frequencies, there's no point in trying to drive them that low - it just uses power and risks damaging the speakers.

Yes, I agree with you. The op is going to have to change some settings in his menu's to achieve his goal, and also to protect his individual AV components.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
how do you turn on bass management in the PS3?

sorry to bump this, I changed my setup and although my receiver has bass management options, I can't access them when using multi-channel

thanks

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The PS3 doesn't have bass management, that should be done in your receiver.

One thing to try is to go into your PS3s music settings and change the output frequency from 48 khz to 44.1/82/

This will hopefully force it to output 2 channel only in music playback so you can enable bass management on your receiver.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
thought so, thanks, hopefully the wife lets me replace my front two speakers with my better larger floor speakers, these will be able to handle the full range of frequencies sent to those channels, it will do the trick for musick and 2.0, and I suspect in 5.1 most of the extra (non-lfe) bass is going to those two channels anyways sho it should do the trick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts