AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 32LG30 along with a PS3. Before the PS3 I had my X360 connected to the LG with component cables and got a great picture. Then later switched to a HDMI cable and my picture became darker. I currently have my PS3 hooked up via HDMI as well. When watching blu-ray movies on it the picture is a little dark and looks to have very very small grains in the picture. Sorry that's the best way I can describe whats going on. I was expecting to have a great clear picture since everything is HD. I changed my PS3's video setting to 720P (capabilities of the tv) so is there any other changes that needs to be made? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
859 Posts
1) Make sure your PS3 is outputting HDMI Limited in the system settings.

2) Shut off any post-processing effects in the TV and PS3.

3) This is the most important one: Calibrate your TV with a calibration disc like DVE, Avia, or at the very least the THX Optimizer that you can find on a lot of DVDs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) I'll check that today

2) What are some of the post-processing effects that you're talking about?

3) I'll check on the calibration disc as well.

Sorry I'm new to all of the highdef stuff but I really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
652 Posts
37LG30 settings

Picture menu

Aspect ratio: Just Scan

Backlight(3): 17

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 37

Color: 50

Tint: G4

Sharpness (determined "by eye" with DVE HD basics)(4): 29

Expert 1 control menu

Fresh contrast(5): OFF

Noise reduction: OFF (unless really noisy picture)

Gamma: MEDIUM

Black level(6): HIGH

Real Cinema: OFF (unless 480i/1080i cinema input)

Color Standard: HD (grayed out/automatic switch to SD when SD input)

White Balance: Warm

Method: 10 point IRE(7)

IRE R / G / B

100 0 / 0 / 0

90 -16 / 0 / -15

80 -13 / 0 / -16

70 -13 / 0 / -16

60 -8 / 0/ -16

50 0 / 0 / -16

40 -8 / 0 / -6

30 -8 / 0 / -6

20 -9 / 0 / 5

10 4 / 0 / -17

Color management system

Red color: -1

Red tint: 4

Green color: 0

Green tint: 0

Blue color: -4

Blue tint: -10

Yellow color: -1

Yellow tint: 1

Cyan color: -2

Cyan tint: 3

Magenta color: -2

Magenta tint: -3

Notes

1. The TV rear HDMI inputs (v.1.3) accept 0-15 and 236-255 RGB values output in RGB by the PS3 (tested). However, note that when playing a video file (not DVDs or Blu-rays: they are ouput in YCbCr, not like the XMB which is output in RGB) with the setting set to ON, the PS3 has the habit of remapping (overlay) YCbCr 16-235 (original video file encoding) to RGB 0-255 (RSX encoding) instead of just output RGB 16-235 ( http://www.edepot.com/playstation3.html#PS3_Video ), which can make the picture look darker. This problem does not happen with games or XMB.

2. The TV rear HDMI inputs (v.1.3) accept blacker than black (BTB: 0-15) and whiter than white (WTW: 236-255) values output in YCbCr by the PS3 (tested).

3. The backlight can be safely set between 10 and 35 to fit room lightning without affecting picture quality. 17 will give 20 ftl and 23 will give 25 ftl. Recommanded values for direct view displays is 30-40 ftl, but for me, even 30 ftl is way too bright. 29 will give 30 ftl.

4. Edge enhancement appears at 30 until 40. After 40, heavy ringing appears.

5. You should not set this option to ON/LOW/HIGH as it will wrongfully compress the greyscale and crush colors. For example, a 30 IRE window would become a 20 IRE window and a 80 IRE window would become a 90 IRE window.

6. This is the HDMI black level. To support BTB and WTW with YCbCr input and 0-255 with RGB input, this option must be set to HIGH.

7. Only red and blue have been adjusted because green is typically the reference level and should be left alone as adjusting the green RGB IRE control (and balancing the red and blue levels to match) has the same effect as simply adjusting the overall contrast.

The probe and the software analysis is attached :

RGB levels: dotted line = default standard picture setting / plain line = calibrated settings, target is 100 % (Red, Green and Blue should all be at 100 % / purple line is the error: below 3 it is imperceptible).

Luminance RGB levels: dotted line = default standard picture setting / plain line = calibrated settings, target is the white line and average is the cyan line (Red, Green and Blue should all be against the white line).

Gamma RGB levels: dotted line = default standard picture setting / plain line = calibrated settings, target is 2.22 (Red, Green and Blue should all be at 2.22). Target is the white line and average is the cyan line (Red, Green and Blue should all be against the white line).

Color temperature: dotted line = default standard picture setting / plain line = calibrated settings, target is 6500 Kelvin and average is the cyan line.

Color points accuracy: x = default standard picture setting / plain dot = calibrated settings / tiles are the target. The grey triangle is thte default standard picture setting color space, the white triangle is the calibrated settings color space and the black triangle is the color space target.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the great info!!!!

I did all the same adjustments that you have made, the only problem that I have is the picture is REALLY dark and not bright at all.

Also where do I input these setting?

90 -16 / 0 / -15

80 -13 / 0 / -16

70 -13 / 0 / -16

60 -8 / 0/ -16

50 0 / 0 / -16

40 -8 / 0 / -6

30 -8 / 0 / -6

20 -9 / 0 / 5

10 4 / 0 / -17

Thanks again for your input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts