AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to PS3... so this question might have been covered in the past... Did I read the manual correctly that in order for the Contollers to charge, PS3 has to be on? Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? Would it not make sense to have the controller charge when you are not playing the game?

·
Registered
10,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf4rider /forum/post/12893732

I am new to PS3... so this question might have been covered in the past... Did I read the manual correctly that in order for the Contollers to charge, PS3 has to be on? Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid? Would it not make sense to have the controller charge when you are not playing the game?

You can use any powered USB device to charge a Sixaxis or DualShock3. Many people plug their controller into the USB port on a DVR or PC to charge when not playing a game.

Note that many cell phone chargers that plug into a wall won't work.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/12893778

You can use any powered USB device to charge a Sixaxis or DualShock3. Many people plug their controller into the USB port on a DVR or PC to charge when not playing a game.

Note that many cell phone chargers that plug into a wall won't work.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I will be using my PC to charge the controller... Wish Sony would fix this...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
It would be nice it it charged while off like the 360 but I just use a USB extension cable I have laying around to charge while I play, or plug it in to the computer so it is not a real big deal.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf4rider /forum/post/12893875

Wish Sony would fix this...

I don't know if it's fixable -- the controller just needs power from the USB port to charge. The PS3, like most devices, doesn't power the USB ports when its off.

But the solution is very easy... if you have a nearby Tivo/DVR, cable box, or any other always-on device with a free USB port, you always have a charging station handy.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I also thought this was kind of annoying. I never thought of plugging my controllers into my DVR. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/12893931

I don't know if it's fixable -- the controller just needs power from the USB port to charge. The PS3, like most devices, doesn't power the USB ports when its off.

Actually, the devices that use USB ports the most, PCs, do power their USB ports when they are in standby.

Otherwise you couldn't wake a PC with an IR receiver or a keyboard or mouse press.

It is unfortunate that the PS3 doesn't do the same, because there are 2 very desirable functions that require this. Turning on the PS3 via the USB port, for example, and charging the controllers.

·
Registered
403 Posts
however if you press the ps button on a controller while the ps3 is off (standby with red led on) it will turn on the ps3....

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12894448

Actually, the devices that use USB ports the most, PCs, do power their USB ports when they are in standby.

Otherwise you couldn't wake a PC with an IR receiver or a keyboard or mouse press.

It is unfortunate that the PS3 doesn't do the same, because there are 2 very desirable functions that require this. Turning on the PS3 via the USB port, for example, and charging the controllers.

Is this a hardware or software issue? I ask becuause I have a PS3 and use an IR remote via USB which I am sure you know doesn't control power. Could this someday be resolved with a software update or is it a limitation of the hardware?

Mike

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:

Thing is, devices that power their USB ports while in standby generally only make a very low level of power available through the port -- enough to power a low-draw device, but not nearly enough to recharge a device like the Sixaxis. You can actually get the PS3 to power the ports in standby if you register a PSP with it and turn on Remote Play. That allows devices like the PS3IRX1+PWR to work, which can stay active if Remote Play is turned on, and then turn on the PS3 using a direct wired connection to the PS3's power button. Even with Remote Play on, though, you can't charge the Sixaxis while the console's off.

It would be nice to have, but in the meantime I just charge my Sixaxis off the Motorola DVR sitting next to the PS3.

EDIT: mbartenhagen, Sony might someday be able to enable in firmware powering on the console via a USB device. In the meantime, the PS3IRX1+PWR might be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline /forum/post/12894940

It would be nice to have, but in the meantime I just charge my Sixaxis off the Motorola DVR sitting next to the PS3.

I suppose I could use my 360.
Do you think it would spit the SIXAXIS's cable out?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
hey guys...

while we're on the topic of controllers, what's the life expectancy of one before it's no longer "rechargeable".

my bro (johnny 360) thinks its bs by sony to make them (the batteries) unreplaceable (with the idea being that you have to replace an otherwise perfectly operable controller) while I of course think usb charging is fantastic.

can anyone reason a guess as to how long we can expect them to last?

of course this will vary with useage, but what about 15-20 hrs a week?

thanks,

james

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ /forum/post/12895076

Your 360 will need to be on.

I think...?

The 360 can charge its controllers when it is in standby. You have to plug the controller in first. The 360 will recognize that it is plugged in. Then you turn off the 360 and the USB ports remain powered for charging. Its a nice feature.

Basically, I'd have to also have a 360 controller plugged in at first using the play and charge cable to get the USB ports to be powered. And then I could get the PS3 controller to charge.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I use my printer's USB port.

I thought you could replace the battery in the controller.

·
Registered
425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe /forum/post/12895067

hey guys...

while we're on the topic of controllers, what's the life expectancy of one before it's no longer "rechargeable".

my bro (johnny 360) thinks its bs by sony to make them (the batteries) unreplaceable (with the idea being that you have to replace an otherwise perfectly operable controller) while I of course think usb charging is fantastic.

The manual clearly states that the battery is replaceable.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:

ps3 doesn't have a standby mode. why you would compare the ps3 "off" mode to pc "stand by" mode is ridiculous. most devices when turned off, do not channel power through the usb ports. obviously you have poor reading comprehension skills. the post you quoted was talking about "off" not "standby". you just conveniently changed it to standby to prove your point.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehom /forum/post/12896116

ps3 doesn't have a standby mode. why you would compare the ps3 "off" mode to pc "stand by" mode is ridiculous. most devices when turned off, do not channel power through the usb ports. obviously you have poor reading comprehension skills. the post you quoted was talking about "off" not "standby". you just conveniently changed it to standby to prove your point.

The PS3 definitely does have a standby mode. There's an off switch on the back of it. That turns it off.

The power switch and the SIXAXIS put the PS3 into standby. If it wasn't in standby, then the SIXAXIS couldn't turn it on. The bluetooth radio has to be powered for this to happen. And, for that matter, apparently the USB ports are powered (but not enough to charge a controller) if you have the PS3 paired with a PSP.

That would be standby.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12896206

The PS3 definitely does have a standby mode. There's an off switch on the back of it. That turns it off.

My computer has an off switch in the back too... right on the power supply. Yet I can shut the computer down and it would also be "off" -- even though the power supply switch is still on.
The USB ports aren't powered in this mode. I can also put my computer into sleep or hibernate, which still powers the USB ports... but the PS3 doesn't have this version "standby".

Maybe we are arguing semantics?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts