AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello AVS Forum members. Please excuse my ignorance as revealed by what I am about to ask. Unfortunately, I think I may need a brief crash course in audio output in order to figure out what to do.

As noted in the thread title, I am using a PS3 for CD, SACD, DVD, and BRDVD playback. The sound is going to my Denon AVR5800 (about 10 years old, I think, but still powerful and sounding good to me) via digital optical.

I recently disconnected my center and rear speakers, partly due to space considerations in my apartment, but also because multichannel surround sound is unimportant to me.

So the choice I'm confronted with is which Linear PCM 2-channel output formats to select on the PS3's audio output settings. The warning there states that if the receiver cannot handle the setting selected, the speakers could be damaged, which of course I do not want. But I cannot find any information in the lousy AVR5800 owner's manual indicating what the receiver can handle. I'm sure it can handle 44.1 and 48 kHz. But what about 88.2 or 176.4?

Sadly, not only do I not know what my receiver can handle, I don't even know enough to understand the advantages of the higher rates. Does good stereo SACD playback require 88.2 or 176.4?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Happy New Year!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.