AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what settings I need to set on the PS3 video settings for my XBR8?

Here is what I have so far:

Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr Super-White (HDMI): ON

RGB Full Range (HDMI): ON

BD 1080P 24 Hz Output: ON

BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI): AUTO

Should I be setting my RGB Full Range to Limited (I was reading somewhere that FULL crushes the black levels)? Also is leaving BD/DVD Video Output Format to AUTO good enough or should I set it to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr?

· Registered
476 Posts
Set it to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and definitely use limited RGB range. I've yet to see a display capable of working right with full RGB, whether it be $300 or $3500

Also you might run in to some issues forcing it to 24hz, I'd leave it on auto, it will use 24hz when it's available.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
Your settings are correct assuming you toggled your TV's HDMI Range option (every manufacturer seems to label it something different) to it's matching Full/Expanded setting. Any display with such an option functions as expected with a Full/Expanded source.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevToTheRedline /forum/post/15414496

Set it to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and definitely use limited RGB range. I've yet to see a display capable of working right with full RGB, whether it be $300 or $3500

Also you might run in to some issues forcing it to 24hz, I'd leave it on auto, it will use 24hz when it's available.

Thanks for the info - one more thing:

What's the pros of setting BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr instead of AUTO? Won't the PS3 automatically switch between that and RGB depending on the source (DVD/Blu-ray/AVCHD/etc) if it was on AUTO?

· Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crellion /forum/post/15416445

Thanks for the info - one more thing:

What's the pros of setting BD/DVD Video Output Format (HDMI) to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr instead of AUTO? Won't the PS3 automatically switch between that and RGB depending on the source (DVD/Blu-ray/AVCHD/etc) if it was on AUTO?

BD/DVD is natively YCC, 16–235. If you set BD/DVD output to YCC rather than RGB or Auto, the Full/Limited RGB setting will have no effect whatsoever.

Super White enables/disables the display of BTB/WTW information with BD/DVD playback in YCC. If you play back BD/DVD in RGB, the PS3 will always clip it.

Basically it ensures you from getting clipping. As mentioned before i would have RGB set to limited. The PS3 "full" mode is just really a stretched video mode spectrum and not a PC full color mode. Some people claim to see a better picture with full mode because they are basically getting black crush, and it alters the gamma giving the other colors a more pronounced over saturated look. A lot of people like the look even though it is not technically "correct" The topic has been beat to death in these forums on more than one occasion but ultimately I am of the opinion that the RGB should be set to limited. You can do as you like and read a lot of posts in other topics but it is your equipment, do whatever you feel you like the most.

· Registered
934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crellion /forum/post/15429901

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=839681&page=2

I've been reading from this thread that PS3 had clipping issues with YCC on BTB and WTW. This post is ages ago though and I'm wondering if the most recent firmware (2.53) had resolved this issue with YCC output yet?

YCC is fine now and is what you want to use. It is the RGB full that clips and crushes. Simply put unless you are hooking up a computer to a tv you have no reason to use RGB full.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.