AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really am disappointed that after all this time, the Playstation still seems to be lagging behind with their 'apps'. No Pandora, no dedicated Youtube app, limited facebook, no twitter, no amazon, no skype, no updated browser. I was watching the live Lollapalooza stream yesterday and thought it would be great to watch it through the playstation, but without an updated flash, i was forced to run it through my laptop into the TV. With all the apps that TVs and Roku have today, it perplexes me that the PS3 is not able to do those same things. I would gladly pay for some of these apps if they were available, but alas, the PS3 fails at doing everything. Rant over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjachicken /forum/post/20795855

Go buy a roku then and stop crying.

Thats fine. Was just hoping for an all in one type experience, one that Playstation advertises. Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. I don't own an xbox, and sold my Wii after removing the the inch thick cake of dust that had gathered on it. I just wish that the PS3 would live up to its potential a little bit more.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
My Sony BD player does all this, so either it's a technical issue or just related to business. Either it's hard to cry about things never advertised, they have added Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, etc. so they are adding thing. If you want to know what they take out just google "Vortex3D" for a million links.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
The beginning of this generation is very different from the current state of affairs. Expectations have changed greatly. Sony did a remarkably good job of creating a technologically future proof console, but the big hurdles now are business related (primarily licensing).

Consoles are now entering into the high-stakes media business. This is uncharted territory, and it's been incredibly tricky. Large media companies (telecom and cable giants) are trying to control the future of media distribution. Cable boxes, phones, and DVRs have been great for these media behemoths since they're easy to control. In contrast, PCs have allowed for a bit more freedom. But now consoles are complicating things and trying to give consumers the appearance of freedom while still appeasing the big media guys.

Now that console manufacturers have a pretty good sense for what's technologically possible, now comes the trick of trying to actually pull it all off. Lots of handshakes to be made, and everyone is looking to come out ahead.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore27 /forum/post/20795715

I really am disappointed that after all this time, the Playstation still seems to be lagging behind with their 'apps'. No Pandora, no dedicated Youtube app, limited facebook, no twitter, no amazon, no skype, no updated browser. I was watching the live Lollapalooza stream yesterday and thought it would be great to watch it through the playstation, but without an updated flash, i was forced to run it through my laptop into the TV. With all the apps that TVs and Roku have today, it perplexes me that the PS3 is not able to do those same things. I would gladly pay for some of these apps if they were available, but alas, the PS3 fails at doing everything. Rant over.

cool a troll! never seen one of them in these parts before

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/20796548

Why is anyone who complains about the PS3 a troll? If he spent the money on a PS3 and wished it did things that it doesn't, I view that as a valid complaint. I too wish the web browser was more capable because in its current state it is useless. I frequently use my laptop on my plasma to do things their browser should do. Sure my laptop works great but I really wish the PS3, being constantly hooked up to my HT, could do some simple internet things saving me the hassle.

I have never gotten Pandora to work well through the PS3 (or any other radio station for that matter). It would just be really nice if it could.

Maybe expectations are a little high, but I did buy my PS3 with the hope I could use the browser for simple internet tasks. It still plays games and Blu-Rays perfectly fine, so overall I am very happy with how it works for me. Doesn't mean I am a not a little disappointed though.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20796660

Maybe expectations are a little high, but I did buy my PS3 with the hope I could use the browser for simple internet tasks. It still plays games and Blu-Rays perfectly fine, so overall I am very happy with how it works for me. Doesn't mean I am a not a little disappointed though.

I too feel this way about its media capabilities (never intended to use its browser for anything.) It's just annoying that the thing is completely capable of doing all the things that would make it a great networked media player, but they intentionally keep it from doing those things in firmware.

Anyway, I agree with the comment above about getting a $60 roku to set next to it and be done with it. People have been complaining about the intentionally gimped accessory capabilities of the PS3 for years and Sony hasn't done much about it yet. Chances are good that they aren't looking to rectify many of them in the future.

-Suntan

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/20796548

Really? Did you even bother reading the rest of the thread, especially the part where I said I love my PS3? I was frustrated, and ranted a bit. I do think Sony is missing the boat by not having some of these features, and yes, it looks like if I want them I will have to buy another product.

And thanks confidenceman for the excellent response. I am sure that a lot of what is holding the PS3 back in this regard is not being willing or able to make certain deals. I just look at what is happening to the iphone/ipad and android and see all the different apps that are available, and I think to myself, why not for the playstation?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty sad. Apparently, to some people, this is the Praise Sony Forum. You can't start a discussion that may be a bit critical of the PS3 without being called a troll, even if the post does not in anyway seem like a trollish post.

·
Registered
17,534 Posts
Does any device do it all .. ??

·
Registered
932 Posts
Nothing wrong with being unhappy at the overall results. However when you use the "catch phrase" Sony uses even if you don't mean it in a literal sense it makes it seem as if you fell for marketing hype and actually expected it to cover every whim and wish of all customers and "do everything"

That would just be naive.

Personally as an older gamer I wish it did nothing but play games. That is all I ever use it for and as these machines head more towards multi-media/PC type machines they have more issues.

Been gaming since 1980 and have owned a myriad of consoles/tvs/amps/speakers/processors/avrs/ so on and so on of tons of electronics and the PS3 is the first piece that has ever failed on me.

Yes electronics fail, but it has become too common. I personally know a small handful of people that have all had YLOD PS3s. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would just go back to being a gaming machine. Less bugs, less updates, less freezes, problems, failures and other issues.

·
Banned
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20796257

The beginning of this generation is very different from the current state of affairs. Expectations have changed greatly. Sony did a remarkably good job of creating a technologically future proof console, but the big hurdles now are business related (primarily licensing).

Consoles are now entering into the high-stakes media business. This is uncharted territory, and it's been incredibly tricky. Large media companies (telecom and cable giants) are trying to control the future of media distribution. Cable boxes, phones, and DVRs have been great for these media behemoths since they're easy to control. In contrast, PCs have allowed for a bit more freedom. But now consoles are complicating things and trying to give consumers the appearance of freedom while still appeasing the big media guys.

Now that console manufacturers have a pretty good sense for what's technologically possible, now comes the trick of trying to actually pull it all off. Lots of handshakes to be made, and everyone is looking to come out ahead.

They also got rid of a CEO and drastically retooled their expectations and their plan for the PS3 from a complete media center, to a gaming console+. Even home was majorly retooled from the plan on the table at the start.

It's frustrating, because the is still so much potential there, but it is what it is. Hell, if the PS3 had access to the RSX from Linux, I'd bet the hacking scandal would have never happened, & we'd have some really cool media center abilities and 3rd party features.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/20798053

They also got rid of a CEO and drastically retooled their expectations and their plan for the PS3 from a complete media center, to a gaming console+. Even home was majorly retooled from the plan on the table at the start.

It's frustrating, because the is still so much potential there, but it is what it is. Hell, if the PS3 had access to the RSX from Linux, I'd bet the hacking scandal would have never happened, & we'd have some really cool media center abilities and 3rd party features.

indeed. The new management wants to control the console as much as possible. And they want to monetize as many of the new media features as possible. At the beginning of the generation, no one knew or expected things like hulu or netflix or hbo go to be such a big deal. They had to backpedal a lot over the past few years in order to set up the barriers to control content delivery. In the past, they would have just launched a new console, but they couldn't do that this time around, so we "lost" features.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Sony's marketing slogan of 'it only does everything' is nothing more than PR speak to advertize/promote their system. There's no wrong in it. The PS3 is a fantastic system. I'm not a fan of removed features, either by new model or especially via software flash, but the PS3 has been adding more and more features over time.

The majority of what the OP mentioned can easily be done on a PC or if Sony steps up and upgrades their browser for most of them. For me, I use a PC for PC stuff. I don't use my 360 to log into facebook, nor do I use my PS3 to browse the latest soccer news online. PC is where it's at for that. I do use my 360 + PS3 over my PC and over my TV's functions for Netflix streaming and I don't use my PC much for ESPN360 or Last.fm. Just take what it can do and be happy with it. Last gen these systems were praised just for the fact they could play back DVD, and now they do SO MUCH MORE than that!

·
Registered
17,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20798244

indeed. The new management wants to control the console as much as possible. And they want to monetize as many of the new media features as possible.

Of course ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20798244

At the beginning of the generation, no one knew or expected things like hulu or netflix or hbo go to be such a big deal. They had to backpedal a lot over the past few years in order to set up the barriers to control content delivery. In the past, they would have just launched a new console, but they couldn't do that this time around, so we "lost" features.

I don't see any compelling reason why Sony should release a new console .. there is no major capability that is lacking in the PS3 .. most of what we "want" would be software related .. as well, in 2006, when the PS3 hit North America, streaming as we know it may have been in it's infancy, but it was not unknown ..

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/20798405

I don't see any compelling reason why Sony should release a new console .. there is no major capability that is lacking in the PS3 .. most of what we "want" would be software related ..

I'm not evangelizing for a new console. I agree that there's really no need. I'm simply pointing out that in the past, these changes to software would have sneaked in alongside faster, newer hardware. There would have been no outcry because nothing would have seemed like it was being "taken away." It would just have been the new console, plain and simple. But because this console is lasting so long without a replacement in sight, substantial revisions (to the network, the OS, and so on) are bound to happen as the goals and profits of the industry change. Not only is this one of the longest console cycles we've ever had, but it's also one of the most revolutionary. Many, many things have changed in the past six years.

IMO, instead of a Sony-bashing OP, it would have been interesting to see a comprehensive chart of the losses as well as additions to the network, store, and OS since launch.

Quote:
as well, in 2006, when the PS3 hit North America, streaming as we know it may have been in it's infancy, but it was not unknown ..

Didn't say the tech was unknown, just that no one (especially Sony) expected streaming to be so profitable and so successful on game consoles. Sony's big mistake with the original hardware was that they assumed the big leaps would be in hardware (blu-ray, bluetooth, SACD, etc), not in network offerings (streaming media) and content delivery (digital downloads). And to some degree, they still think this is the case (3D, for example).

EDIT: For example, it seems ludicrous now that Sony included so many different connections for portable memory. But they really thought they were "future proofing" the console by doing so. Instead, they made it an expensive relic; which is why they ditched those things IMO. And as much as I hate that they got rid of PS2 BC, that was also something of a relic.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uni_panther /forum/post/20797917

Nothing wrong with being unhappy at the overall results. However when you use the "catch phrase" Sony uses even if you don't mean it in a literal sense it makes it seem as if you fell for marketing hype and actually expected it to cover every whim and wish of all customers and "do everything"

That would just be naive.

Personally as an older gamer I wish it did nothing but play games. That is all I ever use it for and as these machines head more towards multi-media/PC type machines they have more issues.

Been gaming since 1980 and have owned a myriad of consoles/tvs/amps/speakers/processors/avrs/ so on and so on of tons of electronics and the PS3 is the first piece that has ever failed on me.

Yes electronics fail, but it has become too common. I personally know a small handful of people that have all had YLOD PS3s. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would just go back to being a gaming machine. Less bugs, less updates, less freezes, problems, failures and other issues.

+1...I do enjoy the ps3 being a BD player, but other than that it's all wasted space to me.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd /forum/post/20798926

+1...I do enjoy the ps3 being a BD player, but other than that it's all wasted space to me.

The PS3 Netflix app is really nice and is something I use a lot. I use my 360 as a music server (500GB HDD hooked up). I also use the Last.fm app on my 360 a good amount. Some things are just more convenient and things I really like. My consoles are hooked up to my main system so doubling as a music server is very nice. Facebook, Twitter, etc just seem like a waste as it is WAY faster to use a laptop.

I don't think Sony and Microsoft had a clue just how hungry the market was for addition features. I don't think either system was designed to do what they can now, and both consoles have added some really nice features. I strongly think the next consoles will be an all in one device. MS seems to be trying to do cable TV (IPTV) and they could make a killing on that untouched market for them. Sony maybe trying to do the same thing.

Both companies want more of our money, and how they try to get it could get really interesting to say the least.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
like an expensive cable subscription program that has everything, I don't really care if my PS3 does anything more than game, in fact I wish they just had a dumbed down version with a larger hard drive and faster processor/memory... like I want my real life friends knowing how much time I waste on the PS3 by posting it to my facebook account... yeah right!

I'm happy that its a blu ray player and gaming system that also allows online gaming with wireless controls, everything else is a bonus and most of the stuff I usually do on my computer anyway because the text interface for ps3 blows, now if they had some sort of good speech to text program built in, THAT would be useful

but anyway your post is absolutely trollish when you use words like
Quote:
but alas, the PS3 fails at doing everything.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts