AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, so let me introduce myself. I'm Sal from NJ and I've been reading this forum for years. It's solved countless problems for me in the past, and I'm hoping it can help me with this one as well.

The issue I have is with:

PS3

Harman Kardon AVR 340

Klipsch Center Channel

I just picked up the HK this week, and I've been loving the sound since upgrading from a 7 year old Sony. I have a 5.1 speaker setup, and every speaker has been confirmed as properly connected, and working.

I have my PS3 hooked into my AVR via a Optical connection. I've set up the input properly on the AVR & selected the optical sound setting in the PS3. I have Dolby Digital, DTS, and every other setting (sorry I'm at work, and cant remember the PCM options) available to me selected.

The AVR automatically switches to Logic7 while in the XMB & I can hear the menu ticking noises through my center channel with no issues. I can hear music (via Logic 7) with no issues through all the speakers.

When I play a DVD or Blu-Ray disc, the AVR automatically switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 and it sounds great when watching movies. I hear sounds through every speaker including the center channel.

So now here is my actual problem. When I play games, the AVR switches to Dolby Digital or DTS (just like what it does when I play a DVD or Blu-Ray disc) but I hear absolutely NO sound from my center channel.

Its very frustrating because the center will work at the very beginning of selecting a game from the XMB, but not while actually playing it. For example...Call of Duty 4: When you first click on the game to play, the developers logo appears and spins around emitting a surround sound effect. I hear that perfectly fine through my center channel. But then 2 seconds later at the game start menu, the center channel sound stops!

I've tried swapping out the cable, switching inputs on the AVR, selecting/deselecting ever sound option on the PS3...none of that worked. I've searched all over and only found one other instance where this has happened, and the person states the problem never got resolved.

So now I turn to you guys. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank You.

-Sal

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
COD 4 is but one of the few games that have this problem with the PS3. I noticed that the center doesnt work when the game first boots up, the Surrounds do..but the center doesnt work at all. I havent tried to get my center channel to work when using Optical, but It doesnt work no matter what I do in the sound options using HDMI. Only for COD4..no problem with Warhawk or Resistance (LPCM games btw)

I tried going into the sound options, and disable all the 5.1/7.1 PCM options. This will (normally) will force the PS3 to send Bitstream to the AVR, and allow the AVR to decoded it. It didnt work for me via HDMI, doesnt sound like it works for optical either (if this is what you did too) I dunno..sounds like it's just a COD4 problem

NOTE I didnt notice the center channel not workin in COD4 until i got up and actually put my ear up too it. If you notice the center isnt workin then you may have a timbre issue, or balancing issue between your center and your L/R fronts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

In my initial post I forgot to mention that the problem isn't just for COD4 but I'm also having this issue with Motorstorm & Unchartered: Drakes Fortune.

Unchartered actually gives you the option to change the sound settings in-game.

When I first fire it up, the AVR switches to Dolby Digital and the center channel does not work. When I go into the in-game sound settings and change from default Dolby Digital to Dolby Pro Logic, the center instantly starts working. So that tells me that no matter what the game, I'm having an issue with Dolby Digital/DTS center channel sound but only during video gameplay.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
i have the same exact problem with rock band and ratchet & clank, both the only games i own on cd.

the wierd thing is that when i switch my receiver to pro lojic II, the center channel works. i still prefer the sound coming from dts and dolby digital 5.1 even though nothing comes out of the center channel. i started a thread about this a while ago but nobody could help.

maybe thats how games are designed, i dont know.

p.s. i am using a pioneer hts-gs1 sound system, great for the money.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've had the same problem with my PS3 as well, I didn't really notice it until I was playing COD4. Now I may be mistaken, but if you disable 5.1/7.1, Dolby Digital and enable AAC it will get your center to work. I've tried that with HDMI and Optical and the center channel seems to work in the AAC setting, however, I do not recall if it effects the center when viewing movies though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My wife and I are having this problem as well. We notice it in Rock Band 2 mostly, where some songs lose 90% of the vocal track because the center channel is either silent or playing music/bass. I did an experiment and copied a music CD to the PS3 HD and got the same issue when I played it back.

Al the sound settings on the PS3 are set to 'auto', and blue ray playback is not affected - at least we have yet to see it and we have seen a few movies on the system.

The receiver is a Denon AVR 888 and it handles 5.1 from cable with no problem.

If anyone has a suggestion for what to change, we sure like to hear it. Aside from detracting from Rock Band's sound, I'm worried about damaging the center speaker if the wrong signal is being sent to it.

Something is off in the handoff between the PS3 and the Denon must be off, but I don't know what it is. The Denon does display 'Dolby' on the front when the PS3 is sending music, but the channels are not right.

Anyone?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I read somewhere else on the net (sorry, lost the link) that the PS3 has a bug when sending a stereo source to a 5.1 system. The poster said the signal is sent as 5.1, but is not. It's a 'multichannel PCM' with only two channels. This stops the receiver from switching to Dolby PL, which *would* create a virtual 5.1 sound.

This explains why only some songs in Rock Band 2 have the missing center channel!

What I am wondering is if there is a way to overcome this and get Dolby PL to become active. 'Pure Direct' mode on the receiver will only lead to stereo output, since that is what the signal in fact is, and that mode stops the receiver from activating Dolby PL. At least, that's what I suspect. I have not been able to try it out yet.

It's all a pain, really, since finding a solution to get Dolby PL might make the songs that do work sound worse.

Btw, I am connected with HDMI, not optical, so bandwidth isn't the issue.

C'mon Sony - this is supposed to be a higher end game system, capable of doing rich multimedia.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Note: I'm pretty sure the above problems in this thread were from folks using non-HDMI audio connections. So, you shouldn't be having the same issues they were having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwest /forum/post/16301296

I read somewhere else on the net (sorry, lost the link) that the PS3 has a bug when sending a stereo source to a 5.1 system. The poster said the signal is sent as 5.1, but is not. It's a 'multichannel PCM' with only two channels. This stops the receiver from switching to Dolby PL, which *would* create a virtual 5.1 sound.

This was just fixed with the last firmware update, so as long as you got the update, this should no longer be an issue for you.

Quote:
This explains why only some songs in Rock Band 2 have the missing center channel!

Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. That prior bug only applied to very specific stereo sources (primarily CDs and music files). This didn't affect games. If you're seeing "multichannel PCM" on your Denon's display window when playing Rock Band, then that's indeed what you should be getting from your PS3. Something else must be going on. I don't have the PS3 version of Rock Band, so I can't speak for that game directly, but it may be a game-specific issue.

Quote:
'Pure Direct' mode on the receiver will only lead to stereo output, since that is what the signal in fact is, and that mode stops the receiver from activating Dolby PL.

Nope. If you've got 5.1 via HDMI and are playing Rock Band, you should not be getting a "stereo" signal when set to "direct." You should be getting "multichannel PCM" when you set it to direct (which is what you said your receiver is saying). Game audio works differently from CD audio and you don't need to apply any post-processing to it in order to get 5.1.

If you set your AVR to "direct" and you're getting a "stereo" signal, then the game probably isn't configured properly. Go into the audio/sound settings in the Rock Band options menu and make sure there isn't some random setting for "surround" or "Dolby Digital" or some such.

Let's start there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the advice thus far - I do do all my updates but I don't always read what's in them.

I should clarify that the Denon display reads "Dolby" when Dolby is selected from within Rock Band, and it says that regardless of if the song plays fine, or with no center.

A stereo CD ripped to the PS3 HD shows a two channel source and two channels out, plus the sub. No center channel is displayed or played and the receiver front reads "stereo."

I think the ripped CD is playing properly, but it might be nice to see what Dolby PL could do with it.

I'm near certain the game is not playing properly, however, because the audio is only in the Right and Left towers, and is very faint. Sometimes the center is quiet, and on other songs it plays music, but no vocals.

Even more annoyingly, the PS3 stopped reading all discs starting last night. It loads and unloads them, but it can't seem to software mount them at all. I'm considering between a factory re-set and an outside repair job. I'm concerned about data loss, so I'll be looking into that.

I won't be able to do any more testing until I get this resolved, but I've given as much info as I can. I'll note any suggestions and try as I am able.

That darn machine had been problem free to this point too!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Bummer about the disc drive error. That seems to be the most common problem with this thing. $150 repair through Sony if it's out of warranty.

As for the other stuff, you've almost definitely got your PS3 incorrectly configured. If you're using HDMI and you've got a 5.1 setup, your AVR shouldn't say "Dolby" while playing Rock Band. It should say "multichannel PCM" or something similar. The PS3 sends out all game audio over HDMI that way. If it doesn't, then that means the output settings in your sound settings menu are incorrectly (de)selected.

If your PS3 were working, I would say do a re-set and see what the PS3 automatically selects as viable audio options. If that doesn't work, consult your AVR manual and see which audio signals it can handle. Select those manually in your PS3's sound settings menu. If that doesn't work, then you may have a more serious issue (either with the PS3 or your AVR).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your suggestion about the audio settings on the PS3 surprised me because it always select 'auto' when the option is available, but I did go through them again.

I recall going through the whole LPCM issue when I got the Blue Ray portion of the machine set to play HD audio on a receiver that can't do the decoding internally. So, I knew that part was fine.

The settings for system audio are different. I did the manual set up this time, and DE-SELECTED both Dolby 5.1 and DTS, which the PS3 had suggested making available. It also suggested a number of LPCM modes, which I left alone.

Was this what you were suggesting? I wish I could play a disc to test it out!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
We'll probably just have to wait until you have a working disc drive to do real troubleshooting here, but I can say that you should be able to have DTS and DD selected in addition to the 5.1 LPCM ouptuts with no issues like what you're describing.

Is your AVR perhaps configured for audio pass-through (in which case the PS3 may be auto-selecting weird things)? Could be something like that. Either that or Rock Band is itself configured wrong. No way to know until you get a working disc drive.

For troubleshooting, you'll need to check the audio in other 5.1 games, compare against movies, and so on. Lots of process-of-elimation stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious if you ever found a resolution to this problem as I'm having a similar issue. I purchased a new PS3 80GB over the weekend. My setup is PS3 running HDMI into a Harmon/Kardon AVR-254. The problem I see most often is when a game switches from play to a cut scene, it won't send the proper signal to the receiver to change the audio type. So it will change the AVR to PLII or Logic 7 instead of PCM or DD/DTS. Problem being the audio track is DD and I won't have any center channel audio. I've seen it occur on MGS4 and GTA4.

I'll try disabling everything but LPCM output when I get home to see if that corrects the issue.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhuckstep /forum/post/16628724

I'm curious if you ever found a resolution to this problem as I'm having a similar issue. I purchased a new PS3 80GB over the weekend. My setup is PS3 running HDMI into a Harmon/Kardon AVR-254. The problem I see most often is when a game switches from play to a cut scene, it won't send the proper signal to the receiver to change the audio type. So it will change the AVR to PLII or Logic 7 instead of PCM or DD/DTS. Problem being the audio track is DD and I won't have any center channel audio. I've seen it occur on MGS4 and GTA4.

I'll try disabling everything but LPCM output when I get home to see if that corrects the issue.

Colin - this isn't as much a PS3 issue as it is an issue with H/K and a PS3. Read these.

Official Harman/Kardon AVR x54: Problems and Solutions Thread

and

Official Harman Kardon AVR 254 & 354 Owners Thread

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Hooray for me not buying an H/K... btw, I got my Denon remote back...!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/16629101

Hooray for me not buying an H/K... btw, I got my Denon remote back...!

Way to be sympathetic to the above guy's issues. But we love you anyhow. Btw, glad the remote is back.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/16629387

Way to be sympathetic to the above guy's issues. But we love you anyhow. Btw, glad the remote is back.

Well, anyone who is anyone should have a friend like you that they can rely on for things like this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts