AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
That is relative. To about everyone and their mothers in this forum it is priority number one for the PS3 updates.

If you ask gamers who casually see a movie it might not be.

Jorge

·
Registered
649 Posts
Can I just ask a really daft question before the thread gets closed – if Dolby HD and dts Master Audio are both lossless, then technically they are equivalent and therefore not mutually exclusive. In other words they decode exactly the same sound and therefore, only one is required.

Do some discs have one and not the other?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
15,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB /forum/post/12836419

Can I just ask a really daft question before the thread gets closed - if Dolby HD and dts Master Audio are both lossless, then technically they are equivalent and therefore not mutually exclusive. In other words they decode exactly the same sound and therefore, only one is required.

Do some discs have one and not the other?

Cheers,

Mark

yes

·
Registered
389 Posts
Anyone have a guess as to when we'll get an update for the PS3 so it can decode DTS HD MA?? I've got a ton of Fox titles that I'm dying to unlock these soundtracks from!

·
Registered
649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman /forum/post/12836538

yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/12836664

afaik no discs have both. it's one or the other or neither of the two.

Cheers guys - that clears that up nicely.

Roll on the dts PS3 update

·
Registered
290 Posts
The ps3 shouldnt be expected to do DTS MA it was never ever listed as a capability of the ps3, and it was never inferred either,

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcheng122 /forum/post/12836664

afaik no discs have both. it's one or the other or neither of the two.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind has both DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 & Dolby TrueHD 5.1

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Please search the PS3 thread. I posted that I spoke with the DTS people at CES and they know many are interested in DTSMA including Sony. Nothing was promised but I did get a hint that both DTS and Sony were working on it and it could come in a firmware update with other things also included. I am wondering if it will come with the 2.0 profile update.

·
Registered
845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan450 /forum/post/12836719

The ps3 shouldnt be expected to do DTS MA it was never ever listed as a capability of the ps3, and it was never inferred either,

I hear you -- but I am daring to dream.

I wish more BD titles would just use TrueHD instead of DTS-MA (since no players can decode the codec anyway).

It seems that all the HD-DVD discs that I have either use DD+
or TrueHD -- both of which my A2 can decode. I only have one DTS-MA title in HD-DVD (Silent Hill German Import).

I actually have found that if the studio invests the time -- the DD+ soundtracks can sound awesome (witness Transformers).

·
Registered
832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Kn0w /forum/post/12836692

Anyone have a guess as to when we'll get an update for the PS3 so it can decode DTS HD MA?? I've got a ton of Fox titles that I'm dying to unlock these soundtracks from!

If you want it that bad, sell you George Foreman Grill and get the Panny BD-30 and you will have DTS-MA.

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger /forum/post/12838554

If you want it that bad, sell you George Foreman Grill and get the Panny BD-30 and you will have DTS-MA.

The Panny BD-30 only bitstreams the high def audio to be decoded in the receiver which I don't see as a benefit -- I would rather the player decode the lossless surround audio and if (or when) the PS3 can do that via f/w upgrade, then there would be no need to purchase a second player anyway. if the OP wanted to purchase a second Blu-ray player, he would make a wiser choice with the Panny BD-50 that internally decodes all formats as well as bitstreams all formats. Another thought--can the BD-30 even be updated to Profile 2.0 whereas the PS3 apparently can? What does a George Foreman Grill have to do with this thread?

MikeSp

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp /forum/post/12842573

The Panny BD-30 only bitstreams the high def audio to be decoded in the receiver which I don't see as a benefit -- I would rather the player decode the lossless surround audio and if (or when) the PS3 can do that via f/w upgrade, then there would be no need to purchase a second player anyway. if the OP wanted to purchase a second Blu-ray player, he would make a wiser choice with the Panny BD-50 that internally decodes all formats as well as bitstreams all formats. Another thought--can the BD-30 even be updated to Profile 2.0 whereas the PS3 apparently can? What does a George Foreman Grill have to do with this thread?

MikeSp

If you realy just want the player decode the HD audio to your's receiver you just have the LPCM sound not the real lossless surround audio ......................

·
Registered
270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSp /forum/post/12842573

....What does a George Foreman Grill have to do with this thread?

MikeSp

I think he is saying that the PS3 looks like a George Forman Grill to him that is all.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrew814 /forum/post/12842834

If you realy just want the player decode the HD audio to your's receiver you just have the LPCM sound not the real lossless surround audio ......................

Real lossless audio?,please explain, beacause there is no dif in sound quality if the player decodes or the rec decodes unless your rec is doing some processing

·
Registered
792 Posts
Originally Posted by kendrew814

Guess I am confused -- I thought that if the lossless decoding was done in the player and sent out via HDMI as LPCM that the AVR or pre/pro would send the lossless audio to the appropriate 7.1 speakers since it had already been decoded.

MikeSp

·
Registered
792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR1960 /forum/post/12842999

I think he is saying that the PS3 looks like a George Forman Grill to him that is all.

A BIG DUH
on my part -- had never gotten that before and had seen the reference to a Forman Grill several times. I have often wondered about the shape of my PS3 (games for my teenager and BD Player for me) being a little strange, thinking it should have looked more like a regular component and less like a game console... "Forman Grill" cracks me up.
(I will have some issues placing it in my new AV rack and now thinking it looks like our George Forman Grill did not help that issue any!!)

MikeSp

1 - 20 of 119 Posts