AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a PS3 8 days ago and I can not get it to work with a DVI to HDMI connector. My HD 1080i projector (Optoma H76) will not display the PS3. It will only work with the yellow RCA cable. I called Sony tech support and they it's a 50/50 that it will work and that there is a video sync problem between HDMI and DVI. Does anyone know how to fix this? If not the PS3 is going back to Best Buy. Thanks for your help.

The connection looks like this.

PS3 - Sony HDMI cable - HDMI to DVI Adaptor - DVI cable - Optoma H76 Projector (the projector does not have a HDMI connection).

Thanks for your help in advance!

P.S. Sony tech said I should try the AVS forum to see if anyone has a fix.

Scott

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Are you changing your output settings to hdmi from component on the ps3? I don't think it switches automaticly because I tried to connect mine to another tv with the composite cables after I had it hooked up to the projector with hdmi to dvi connection and got nothing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Do you have any other equipment with hdmi output to see if the cable or adapter may be at fault? I checked the spec sheet and your projector states it is hdcp compliant. Also check the settings on your projector and make sure your input setting are correct, it may be set to accept an analog or vga signal through the dvi. Be sure it is set to digital (hdcp). I had this problem when I got my projector back from servicing a few days ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/0

Do you have any other equipment with hdmi output to see if the cable or adapter may be at fault? I checked the spec sheet and your projector states it is hdcp compliant. Also check the settings on your projector and make sure your input setting are correct, it may be set to accept an analog or vga signal through the dvi. Be sure it is set to digital (hdcp). I had this problem when I got my projector back from servicing a few days ago.

I have the projector setup to search for a signal. I tried using 3 different DVI cables. Currently I only have 1 HDMI to DVI connector. Thanks for your help thus far. Hopefully I/we can figure this out.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I have a sanyo plv-z2, so I am not familiar with how yours is set up, but on mine there are options in the menu that allows you to change the DVI to several different types of signals, such as analog, rgb, digital, component, etc. It also has the auto search for signal, but it is not very reliable and only works for my analog inputs, so I just disregard this setting.

For some reason my satelite will not work correctly with the projector over DVI, but the ps3 works perfectly. If you have access to another source with HDMI try it out, maybe a friend, or maybe a local A/V store you do business with if your projector is easily transportable.

Someone else a few weeks ago was trying to do the same thing and he wasn't changing inputs on his television when he made the switch on the ps3 to HDMI, sometimes we overlook some of the easiest things.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson /forum/post/0

I have a sanyo plv-z2, so I am not familiar with how yours is set up, but on mine there are options in the menu that allows you to change the DVI to several different types of signals, such as analog, rgb, digital, component, etc. It also has the auto search for signal, but it is not very reliable and only works for my analog inputs, so I just disregard this setting.

For some reason my satelite will not work correctly with the projector over DVI, but the ps3 works perfectly. If you have access to another source with HDMI try it out, maybe a friend, or maybe a local A/V store you do business with if your projector is easily transportable.

Someone else a few weeks ago was trying to do the same thing and he wasn't changing inputs on his television when he made the switch on the ps3 to HDMI, sometimes we overlook some of the easiest things.

I tried it both ways...manual and automatic search for signal. It didn't work either way. I do like your idea of using another HDMI device to see if the projector can pick it up. My Dish network HDMI will not work with the projector either using the HDMI/DVD adaptor that they provided. It use to work, I called DISH and they said there was a know software problem and it would take some time to fix. They told me to use the component output to the projector which I have done.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have the same problem.

I'm using an HDMI > DVI directly from my PS3 to my TV. I get a confirmation of my signal on the television (it tells me its getting 720x480/60), but the display is only black.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Sony 60inch XBR a few years old. No HDMI input only DVI. So I just plugged in the HDMI cable I had going from my satellite receiver into the PS3 and it works fine. I don't have a converter for the DVI it is just a one piece cable and I don't remember it being very expensive. The setting is RGB though in the PS3 menu.

Alternatively, I did hear that if the TV wasn't HDCP ready (ready for copy protection at the DVI input) then the PS3 won't work.

·
Registered
301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroudabush /forum/post/0

I have a Sony 60inch XBR a few years old. No HDMI input only DVI. So I just plugged in the HDMI cable I had going from my satellite receiver into the PS3 and it works fine. I don't have a converter for the DVI it is just a one piece cable and I don't remember it being very expensive. The setting is RGB though in the PS3 menu.

Alternatively, I did hear that if the TV wasn't HDCP ready (ready for copy protection at the DVI input) then the PS3 won't work.

HDCP is the obvious answer (my TV isn't HDCP ready). But I've read that the PS3 doesn't require HDCP for gaming.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You need to get a HDMI to DVD cable. Get one from Monoprice.

The Adapters sometimes do not work. Get the fully HDMI to DVI cable!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.