AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 497 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT YET. July 2nd (SCEE) will update this post when necessary.

Video of In Game XMB
http://www.viddler.com/explore/sceablog/videos/40/

Video of Trophies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6auW52RC12E

Features so far

~ Send and receive messages while in-game

~ Launch different game while still in-game

~ Check downloads while in-game

~ View thumbnails of pictures

~ Activate/change BT headset while in-game

~ Date and time displayed after pressing PS button

~ Play music from HDD while in-game (supported games not yet known)

~ Google search bar

~ Trophy support

from WatchImpress (jp - en google translation)

"Video" is related, HDD recording and video storage media, "FUREMUNOIZURIDAKUSHON", "BUROKKUNOIZURIDAKUSHON" (sofa cushion hardness setting, lol, I have no idea)can be set, including upconverted output. このほか、Blu-ray Discのアップコンバート、DVDビデオのDTS-ES、DTS 96/24、Blu-ray DiscのDTS-ES Matrixの再生に対応する。 In addition, Blu-ray Disc up conversion, DVD video DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, Blu-ray Disc playback of DTS-ES Matrix support.

BabelFish

With “video” relation, it reaches the point where it can set “frame noise reduction” and “block noise reduction” vis-a-vis the animated picture which is retained in HDD and the record media, corresponds to also rise conversion output. In addition, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 of the rise conversion and DVD video of Blu-ray Disc, it corresponds to the playback of DTS-ES Matrix of Blu-ray Disc.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:

Burnout Paradise will be one of the games. Shortly after this update comes out there will be a game update (mid-July or so).

Anybody know if there are any changes to the media playback capabilities?

·
Registered
245 Posts
If nothing happens with bluray support, I will probably skip this one.

The store never seems to update the trailers, and this is the one use I have for it (acknowledging that I will be locked out)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had problems with the last update picture freezes due to handshaking issues and my HDMI connction getting lost, I read somewhere that formatting the HD can help I have not played a movie since I reformetted.

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvan /forum/post/14191157

I had problems with the last update picture freezes due to handshaking issues and my HDMI connction getting lost, I read somewhere that formatting the HD can help I have not played a movie since I reformetted.

Often, such problems are nothing more than the HDMI plug having come a little bit loose. The HDMI plugs are just a friction fit and it only takes a tiny bit of looseness to screw up the signal. If you moved the PS3 at all when doing the upgrade that could be what happened. Check both ends of the cable as sometimes HDMI plugs work loose just due to the weight of the cable itself.

--Bob

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pariseau /forum/post/14191293

Often, such problems are nothing more than the HDMI plug having come a little bit loose. The HDMI plugs are just a friction fit and it only takes a tiny bit of looseness to screw up the signal. If you moved the PS3 at all when doing the upgrade that could be what happened. Check both ends of the cable as sometimes HDMI plugs work loose just due to the weight of the cable itself.

--Bob

Thanks for the suggestion Bobby

I did that when I lost the signal shutting the main power to the PS3 fixed that problem. I dont move the PS3 its always on my Tosh Regza. I never had these issues before the 2.36 update i got freezing on both BD and SD movies, anyhow I will update to 2.40 later this week. BTW reformatting is no biggie since I use this unit as a BD player only. I use a 360 to game.

-Bob-

·
Registered
906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvan /forum/post/14191522

Thanks for the suggestion Bobby

I did that when I lost the signal shutting the main power to the PS3 fixed that problem. I dont move the PS3 its always on my Tosh Regza. I never had these issues before the 2.36 update i got freezing on both BD and SD movies, anyhow I will update to 2.40 later this week. BTW reformatting is no biggie since I use this unit as a BD player only. I use a 360 to game.

-Bob-

Too bad. The PS3 has some decent games...why don't you use it to its full potential?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Funny thing is im not a huge gamer (Ironic since I own both systems) I mainly play NHL games. its a good thing since I would of lost all my game saves with the reformat. I realize that I could purchase a mem card to back up my games should I decide to start gaming with the PS.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff /forum/post/14188405

~ Send and receive massages while in-game

Awesome! No more having to get in the bloody car to go down to the rub 'n tug after a hard night of COD4. This is gonna be huge.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobvan /forum/post/14192793

Funny thing is im not a huge gamer (Ironic since I own both systems) I mainly play NHL games. its a good thing since I would of lost all my game saves with the reformat. I realize that I could purchase a mem card to back up my games should I decide to start gaming with the PS.

Throw a USB hard drive (or even large flash drive?) on and backup before a format.

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytre /forum/post/14193829

Throw a USB hard drive (or even large flash drive?) on and backup before a format.

I did not know I can do that can you save game files on a flash drive?

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanoff /forum/post/14188405

I think it supports all games just like the XMB can be invoked within all games in 2.40.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.L. /forum/post/14196660

I think it supports all games just like the XMB can be invoked within all games in 2.40.

It's something that any game could take advantage of, but each individual game will need to be patched/updated to do so.

·
Registered
864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 /forum/post/14196722

It's something that any game could take advantage of, but each individual game will need to be patched/updated to do so.

Thanks, I checked it again and you are right
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/...ware-v240-faq/
Quote:
Currently only music stored on the HDD is accessible in games that support this feature. We'd also like to reiterate that Firmware v2.40 merely enables custom soundtracks. It's up to developers to include this feature in upcoming games (or to patch existing ones).

·
Read the FAQ!
36,027 Posts
Golly! So there ARE going to be some Blu-Ray related improvements in this release! I'm particular looking forward to being able, at long last, to adjust the hardness of my sofa cushion!

It looks like the poster who has been fixated on the PS3's inability to decode DTS ES Matrix should be a happy camper.

I suspect that Blu-Ray "up-conversion" means the ability to play 1080i/60 Blu-Ray discs (live concerts, primarily) as 1080p/60 output. I certainly hope that is an option that can be turned off as I suspect my Anthem Statement D2 will do a better job of that de-interlacing.

--Bob

1 - 20 of 497 Posts