AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cool, I got my wish for automatic Cloud Saving (PS+) so I don't have to do it manually any more. Lossless audio in 3D is nice as well. Linky :

Quote:
PS3 System Software Update (v3.70)

+ Posted by Eric Lempel // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone! As we are continuously working toward providing the best gaming and entertainment experience on PlayStation 3, I wanted to give you all a heads up on the following new features and changes coming with the next system software update (v.3.70).

To make things easier for PlayStation Plus subscribers, we’ve added the option to automate two existing features. The [Automatic Download] feature will now be called [Automatic Update] as a result of these new options.
  • A new auto upload function for online save data back-up will be added to make it easier to back-up your game save data. Under (Game), select the game for which you want to automatically upload saved data, and then press the Triangle button.
  • Also, Trophies will now sync automatically at the timing of Auto Download.

A new recommendation function will be added that enables you to share your recommendations for PlayStation Store items, such as games and videos, with PlayStation Network friends. You will be able to send messages with a store link from the product pages within the PlayStation Store.

Due to the increase in video applications being offered on PS3, we are adding a new category on the XMB called TV/Video Services. This category will include video applications such as Netflix, Hulu PLUS, and VUDU.
  • You’ll be able to find and download all of the video applications available on PS3 directly from this new XMB category.
  • A folder labeled “My Channels” within this category will allow you to easily access your downloaded applications.
  • Any videos downloaded from the PlayStation store will continue to be placed in the existing Video category on the XMB

Two updates for all of you enjoying Blu-ray 3D movies on PS3 :
  • 3D support will now be available when accessing Java-based special features on Blu-Ray
  • DTS-HD MA, DTS-HD HR decoding/bit stream output (or lossless audio) will be supported while playing Blu-ray 3D movies.
  • 3D digital photos in MPO format can now be viewed in 3D on the XMB and in the Photo Gallery app.

The 3.70 update will be available soon; additional details will be available after the firmware goes live here . Separately, there will also be a minor PSP system software update (v. 6.60) launching soon.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Best news for me is the DTS MA decode during 3D playback, I was gong to buy a standalone player due to this limitation but no need now
, looks like it was a software development delay rather than an HDMI bandwidth issue.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Anyone want to explain how auto trophy syncing works? This could be a major, major big deal to me since I've had such slow trophy syncs. So I'd love to hear from a PS+ member who used to have super slow sync times.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Holy cow, lossless audio in 3D is a complete shock. I was close to buying a new blu-ray player, so this is amazing.

·
Registered
219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman /forum/post/20805140

Now if they'd only included the dual Hdmi outs that were supposed to be on there I still wouldn't have to have a 1.4 receiver.

Why do you need dual hdmi out?

·
Registered
281 Posts
What they do not explain at all there is how the auto-save function deals with the situations of:

1. more saves present than your measly 100MB allotment can hold

2. what happens to protected saves which have special time based restrictions placed on them (24 hours before you can use them again IIRC)

Also, this seems like it should have been an optional update since it only affects PS+ users (minority) and 3D users (far smaller minority). Nothing useful at all to me personally in this update and it just wasted 20 minutes of my time instead of letting me do what I wanted to which was play BF:BC2.

It sucks that so much of this gen is spent playing "progress dialogue".

Cheers

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
So I ask again: if the PS3 can output full HD 3D and now can bitstream uncompressed audio all with its 1.3, what is the point of 1.4?

·
Registered
12,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Firmware is up. Took me a minute or so to dload, and took about four minutes to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathindustrial /forum/post/20805507

What they do not explain at all there is how the auto-save function deals with the situations of:

1. more saves present than your measly 100MB allotment can hold

2. what happens to protected saves which have special time based restrictions placed on them (24 hours before you can use them again IIRC)

Way too much misinformation squeezed into one post there.

- No, you are given more than 100 MB of cloud storage room. 50% more than you posted actually.

- No, the storage size isn't "measly". No doubt I have far more games than the average PS3 owner, yet despite putting a lot of my backup saves up in the cloud, I have 51 MB of space left. There are a few games out there with large save sizes, but the vast majority take up hardly any room at all.

- The presence of protected saves are the choice of each game publisher, and they cause headaches for gamers outside of cloud saves. Regardless, since 99% of game saves aren't protected, it doesn't take away the fact that this is still a great feature that got a LOT better with auto-saves.

To suggest otherwise for this relatively small issue is like dismissing a great seven course meal in front of you because a few grains of rice fell off the plate and onto the floor. The rest of it is still enjoyable. Fuss at the few companies that put out protected saves to begin with, since that's the real source of the problem.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
1.4 has return-ethernet.

So theoretically your receiver could connect to the internet via the PS3...

without a need for a wi-fi chip or even a networking port.

keeping the cost of the receiver down.

Doubt that feature would ever be added to the PS3.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
So I ask again: if the PS3 can output full HD 3D and now can bitstream uncompressed audio all with its 1.3, what is the point of 1.4?
Also really wondering about this. AFIK the physical connector on the PS3 is 1.3 and they said it was not possible to squeeze HD audio through there with 2x 1080p24 3D....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by defdog99
1.4 has return-ethernet.

So theoretically your receiver could connect to the internet via the PS3...

without a need for a wi-fi chip or even a networking port.

keeping the cost of the receiver down.

Doubt that feature would ever be added to the PS3.
They didn't say they bumped it to 1.4

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
572 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Installed the update last night. The PS3 now passes full dts HD but not Dolby TrueHD (Megamind is still downconverted to lossy DD; I'm guessing this is a licensing issue and not a hardware or software limitation and I'm betting that there will be another update in a few months).

To me, this raises the BS flag on the entire HDMI 1.4 spec. At first they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass HD 3D. Then they told us that 1.3 didn't have enough bandwidth to pass lossless audio. The HDMI forum either flat out lied and/or were too lazy to innovate on the software to get 1.3 up to spec.

So I fully expect that a technological miracle will be announces shortly stating that 1.3 can now do Deep Color, ARC, and ethernet.

·
Registered
9,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R /forum/post/20808120

Installed the update last night. The PS3 now passes full dts HD but not Dolby TrueHD (Megamind is still downconverted to lossy DD; I'm guessing this is a licensing issue and not a hardware or software limitation and I'm betting that there will be another update in a few months).

Hi GalvatronType_R, your PS3 is it a fat or slim?

1 - 20 of 77 Posts