AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to hand it to Sony. They put out the PS3 as quickly as they possibly could, took some heat for releasing it so soon without a lot of games, without DVD upscaling to High Def., etc. etc. etc. etc.


And as of tonight, they delivered BIG time!! I'm impressed. I just wonder what people are going to say once they begin releasing more and more and more PS3 games. In my mind this PS3 is one great product, and it's proving it!


The PS3's ability to upgrade over the net is HUGE!


Now, I ask you, what do you think of the PS3 now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
After changing RGB to "Full" black levels on my LCD are amazing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolan99 /forum/post/0


After changing RGB to "Full" black levels on my LCD are amazing.


Wow! You weren't kidding were you? I just changed mine.... It is eye candy! Whoa!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
I also noticed the terrific improvement of black levels. I popped in Star Wars Ep. III and was definitly impressed with the picture quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
bd playback same thing even when set to full


upscaling does look better but hd-a2 does a better job still


oh yah and unlikes my a2 which i cant update over the net. the ps3 does it without a hitch took about 10 minutes total from downloading to restart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
At this point in the game the ps3 IMO is worth the price tag and should not recieve a price drop, I give it up to sony and I feel bad for all the bashers and crummy blog/editors out their on the web, At this point you cannot bash the ps3 anymore game over, In 6 months sony has taken the ps3 and turned into a monster, Think what another 6 months is going to bring. Now all Im looking foward too are the games. I have pity for any body who wished doom on sony or the ps3. Thanks sony for sticking it to all the na sayers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,307 Posts
Upscaling not as good as my A2, but still quite good. Overall BD performance has always been excellent. This is the only BD player currently available that has the same update capabilities that every HD DVD player's had from the start, big whoop.


This upgrade increases my hope that a future update will enable interactive BD Java features similar to the interactive features that were already built into the HD DVD format, something no other currently available BD player will be able to do.


It's a marvelous machine, given all of it's capabilities, but taken strictly as a High Def/standard def player it's still playing catchup to machines costing half as much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
I can just see all the comparison threads tomorrow. The hd-dvd guys are used to bragging about their upconversion and how they just buy BD excl. on dvd & upconvert them. Should be interesting to watch. Format wars are always funny.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/0


Upscaling not as good as my A2, but still quite good. Overall BD performance has always been excellent. This is the only BD player currently available that has the same update capabilities that every HD DVD player's had from the start, big whoop.


This upgrade increases my hope that a future update will enable interactive BD Java features similar to the interactive features that were already built into the HD DVD format, something no other currently available BD player will be able to do.


It's a marvelous machine, given all of it's capabilities, but taken strictly as a High Def/standard def player it's still playing catchup to machines costing half as much.

I dont really understand the push for "interactive features". I tried the scoundrels of the sea for POTC, and it was annoying. I'd rather just watch the movie rather than have crap pop up on the screen. just my opinion though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,596 Posts
Yeah the interactivity is a nasty buzzword. All the more nasty because both sides use it. The HDDVD partisans seem to think they have some sort of advantage in it...


I smell a rat though and imagine the people behind this have something nasty in mind as the eventual goal (unskippable commercial advertisements before/during a movie comes to mind, as does as a variation of "Genuine Windows Advantage" where movies are serialized and constantly being compared against a DB somewhere ("Hey, we detected this same movie played in more than one location. Send out the laywers, search warrants, and cease & desist hounds of war!!!").


Guess I better adjustment my tinfoil hat, though. :emo:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
What is with all these ******** comments like "If only we could get some good games" and "Now all we need to do is wait for the games
"



WTF gentlemen? Do you not realize that Ridge Racer 7 has been out since the system's launch? It's the greatest videogame ever created on this or any other PLANET! That is a fact! So please stop with all this "where are the games" nonsense! Go pick up Ridge Racer 7 and you WILL thank me for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S /forum/post/0


Upscaling not as good as my A2, but still quite good. Overall BD performance has always been excellent. This is the only BD player currently available that has the same update capabilities that every HD DVD player's had from the start, big whoop.


This upgrade increases my hope that a future update will enable interactive BD Java features similar to the interactive features that were already built into the HD DVD format, something no other currently available BD player will be able to do.


It's a marvelous machine, given all of it's capabilities, but taken strictly as a High Def/standard def player it's still playing catchup to machines costing half as much.

Why bring up the A2 in a PS3 thread?


And exactly how is the A2 better? Since it can't even output to 1080p, and can't do 1080/24.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnagle /forum/post/0


Why bring up the A2 in a PS3 thread?


And exactly how is the A2 better? Since it can't even output to 1080p, and can't do 1080/24.

They have an over inflated opinion of the capabilities of the A2 while ignoring its shortcomings. Soon they will be saying how the A2 keeps them warm in bed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnagle /forum/post/0


Why bring up the A2 in a PS3 thread?


And exactly how is the A2 better? Since it can't even output to 1080p, and can't do 1080/24.

This is the FOURTH thread here in the Blu-Ray Players forum where Iggster has posted this comment about the A2 being better. Kind of annoying. Say it once and the person is making a point (although arguably relevant). Say it four times and you have to question the motive. Here are the other three.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10616687

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10616483

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10616485
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu /forum/post/0


What is with all these ******** comments like "If only we could get some good games" and "Now all we need to do is wait for the games
"



WTF gentlemen? Do you not realize that Ridge Racer 7 has been out since the system's launch? It's the greatest videogame ever created on this or any other PLANET! That is a fact! So please stop with all this "where are the games" nonsense! Go pick up Ridge Racer 7 and you WILL thank me for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all thanks Sony for putting the 1080P/24 option in the update for movies. As for Ridge Racer, that is a personal taste as I am not a fan of those type games but more of a FPS and Sports games.

And I think that most of us will not have bought the PS3 if there was only one good game for it and no blu ray capability (luckily that wasn't the case for movie playing). I still have only 2 games for it compared to about 25 for the 360.


As for iggster, I don't see anything wrong with the comparison as he does have a PS3 and does have something to compare upscaling SD DVD's to. And I might add that the HD DVD forum does have it's share of users doing the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu /forum/post/0


What is with all these ******** comments like "If only we could get some good games" and "Now all we need to do is wait for the games
"



WTF gentlemen? Do you not realize that Ridge Racer 7 has been out since the system's launch? It's the greatest videogame ever created on this or any other PLANET! That is a fact! So please stop with all this "where are the games" nonsense! Go pick up Ridge Racer 7 and you WILL thank me for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ummmm, no.




The PS3 has been out for, what, 6 months? And how many GOOD games are there? Two? Three?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa /forum/post/0


Ummmm, no.




The PS3 has been out for, what, 6 months? And how many GOOD games are there? Two? Three?

No there are thousands, considering the PS1 and PS2 library it supports. Which is now upscaled.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top