AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone wrote in another thread for a tv that you could achieve the same effect of full RGB by rising it up in the tv's settings. I was wondering how you do that? Does that have something to do with the white balance setting? What would I need to set it to? My tv is a sony 40EX400.

·
Banned
3,587 Posts
There is no advantage to using 0-255 for 16-235 sources... NONE. Zero. Nada. Zip. It is a complete waste of time. Since all consumer sources are 16-235 (including DVD, cable and satellite boxes, broadcast HDTV, and Blu-ray), it is better (and more accurate) to use 16-235 since there are no conversions and your display will probably (most do) handle the "legal" values above 235 without clipping them as they would be if you use 0-255.

0-255 is a convenience for "dumb" computer sources which remain in 0-255 format rather than being correctly converted to 16-235 for display on TVs (rather than computer monitors).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn
There is no advantage to using 0-255 for 16-235 sources... NONE. Zero. Nada. Zip. It is a complete waste of time. Since all consumer sources are 16-235 (including DVD, cable and satellite boxes, broadcast HDTV, and Blu-ray), it is better (and more accurate) to use 16-235 since there are no conversions and your display will probably (most do) handle the "legal" values above 235 without clipping them as they would be if you use 0-255.

0-255 is a convenience for "dumb" computer sources which remain in 0-255 format rather than being correctly converted to 16-235 for display on TVs (rather than computer monitors).
I don't understand anything you wrote. Did you post in the wrong thread?

·
Registered
12,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK_9
I don't understand anything you wrote. Did you post in the wrong thread?
What Doug was saying is that you want to use RGB Limited on your PS3 and have the display set to accept those levels (digital 16 as black to digital 235 as white). You don't want to use RGB Full Range on a TV (as opposed to a PC monitor) and the TV should be in the correct mode to accept the RGB Limited Range signal.

Also, white balance has nothing to do with this matter.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The PS3 community, fans and forums often set their PS3's RGB setting to "Full" claiming it has "better colors and graphics".

The reality of this situation is that it does nothing but feed the wrong signal to the TV set, pc levels.

The graphics seem more contrasty and the colors seem stronger because since the wrong levels are being sent to the tv, the brightness is now set way too low.

If you turn your brightness up to the max, RGB full would look exactly the same as limited with the original brightness setting.

In short, there is nothing to gain, only something to lose. RGB Limited should be called "HDTV" and RGB full should be called "PC Monitor", because in reality, the only reason a ps3 user would have to switch to RGB full is if they had the ps3 connected to a Computer monitor via its HDMI port...and that monitor expected PC levels.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a related question. I will be calibrating my televisions using AVSHD disk, PS3 and CALman 4. I have set my PS3 to the "Limited" color space (16-235) but enabled superwhite. I believe this changes the color space to 16 - 255. Should superwhite be on when calibrating or after calibration when watching bluray movies ?

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatine /forum/post/20778149

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a related question. I will be calibrating my televisions using AVSHD disk, PS3 and CALman 4. I have set my PS3 to the "Limited" color space (16-235) but enabled superwhite. I believe this changes the color space to 16 - 255. Should superwhite be on when calibrating or after calibration when watching bluray movies ?

Yes, you can leave it on. Just to clarify, the RGB setting is only used for the XMB, Games, Netflix, and the like. The super white setting is for DVDs/BDs only assuming the color space chosen for DVDs/BDs is auto or YCbCr not RGB.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by creatine /forum/post/20778149

I don't think the white clipping pattern will work correctly with Super white on however. I don't think you will ever get the tv to clip anything in the pattern, so you won't have anything to go by. On the pattern everything will appear dimmer then the background white. Everything else should be the same.

·
Registered
Yamaha TSR700 (Bose 301II’s), DirecTV 4K, Apple TV 4K, Philips 4K BDP, LG 75” Nanocell
594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U /forum/post/20776753

What Doug was saying is that you want to use RGB Limited on your PS3 and have the display set to accept those levels (digital 16 as black to digital 235 as white). You don't want to use RGB Full Range on a TV (as opposed to a PC monitor) and the TV should be in the correct mode to accept the RGB Limited Range signal.

Also, white balance has nothing to do with this matter.

PC VS HDTV mode question. What type of HDTVs does this apply to?

I have an LG 47LV5500 and and a PS3. The LV5500 has a PC input and when you ID an HDMI input as PC it treats it like a PC input (the LV5500 is now a PC monitor. This was suggested when playing games to eliminate input lag.) The video setting options are different when an HDMI port is labeled PC.

This set also supports x.v.Color What would be the best settings?

·
Registered
12,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machavez00 /forum/post/20794671

PC VS HDTV mode question. What type of HDTVs does this apply to?

I have an LG 47LV5500 and and a PS3. The LV5500 has a PC input and when you ID an HDMI input as PC it treats it like a PC input (the LV5500 is now a PC monitor. This was suggested when playing games to eliminate input lag.) The video setting options are different when an HDMI port is labeled PC.

This set also supports x.v.Color What would be the best settings?

It should be RGB Limited for a HDMI connection. If somehow the TV is expecting RGB Full (blacks become bright gray), then check the TV for a levels setting (not sure of the name on the LGs, called HDMI Black Level on the Samsungs) and if that is not an option then and only then use RGB Full.

Leave any x.v. Color settings off on the TV.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.