AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a PS3 that I would like to buy a HD TV for. I have searched "whats the best gaming TV" but the threads are old. What are the specific qualifications that I should be focusing on (Hz, contrast, response, etc) and what qualities/ gimmicks should be avoided? I'm new to this and I dont want to fall into the traps.

Since I am looking to buy in the next 6 months there is no real great hurry but its always good to get started early....

I dont want to spend more than 1000$

46 to 52" would be desirable but not sure if it will make it $$ wise

1080p support

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
As an owner of both a 42" 1080p and 50" 720p...I can tell you first hand that you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference between 1080p content played on a 1080p set vs 720p at these relatively small sizes. Having said that, you can find really great deals on a Panasonic 42" 1080p-50" 720p that fall well within your budget and possibly the 46" 1080p if you wait a while. (check the Cleveland Plasma banner above for some good prices)

Leave the 120HZ/gaming mode gimmicks to lcd....plasma really doesn't need them to give you a beautiful, smooth gaming experience.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I always say the same picture quality elements that make TV/movies/sports look good on a TV apply to games as well.

The only thing that should be considered separately is input lag, the tendency of some displays to have a small time lag between when a signal comes in and when it's displayed. Very problematic for fast paced games or games where timing is important. Best to search on the models you're considering to see if any complaints come up. You rarely hear plasma owners complain about this, it seems more widespread with LCDs - but I'm certain many LCDs do just fine in this regard too.

jeff

·
Registered
626 Posts
46s1 is around 1000, 1080p

50x1 (only 720) is around 799-899

panasonics are more resistant to IR and all signs point to more resistance to burn-in. For this reason, I would stick with them over samsung, which is the only other brand to consider. (pioneer is out of price range, lg is not up to par with this plasmas this year)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If I sell - say a kidney, whats the official word on a Panasonic 54v10 model and PS3 input lag?

I know I said below 1000$, but jeez 54" is just plain nice looking.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts