AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm going to try and not make a huge post, but it might take me awhile to explain what I've done/tried.

My setup is as follows: PC --> Router (Linksys WRT310N) --> PS3

The two wires used are both Cat6 purchased from monoprice. The PC has a 10/100/1000 port as does the PS3 and the router is capable of 4x1000 ports.

Ok, so I have a gigabit network established. The router's lights for connection 1 and 2 are green, indicating a Gigabit speed network (1 Gbps). When I transfer files however, I am getting about 6-7 MB/s, roughly 50 Mbps. Not gigabit speed at all! I got these numbers by timing a 350 MB file 2 times and averaging. I am using the program PS3 Media Server and others have report getting gigabit speed transfers through it, so I don't believe it is the program.

I tried to manually set the PS3 settings to a Full Duplex 1000 network, and it worked fine and said 1000 connection in connection status, but it did not increase the file transfer rate.

My PC shows a 1 Gbps speed network.

I also reconnected the PS3 cable into my laptop and did a file transfer and got around 300 Mbps, so something is going on with the PS3 I guess.

I googled and there were some other people with my problem, but a solution was never found. Some suggested it may be limited by the speed of the hard drive. The PS3 does only have a 5400 rpm drive, but 6-7 MB/s ??? That seems way too low to be bottlenecked solely by a hard drive.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences with this? I'm not worried about streaming media since I doubt I'll play a movie with more than 50 Mbps, but I sometimes transfer files and since I ran this Cat6 cable, I'd like to make the most of it by getting gigabit speeds.

Thank you for any input.

·
Registered
793 Posts
As 5-6 MB/s is not right for a gigabit connection (I ran a 100 mbps LAN at 11 MB/s transfer rate), you will NEVER get true gigabit speed...in best case scenarios you get 50-70% of full gigabit speed -there is a lot of overhead and I think the first culprit may be your PC, since it uses a noticable amount of proc power to handle gigabit LAN, so if you are doing something else at the same time this may be slowing it down...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytbyte /forum/post/17043244

As 5-6 MB/s is not right for a gigabit connection (I ran a 100 mbps LAN at 11 MB/s transfer rate), you will NEVER get true gigabit speed...in best case scenarios you get 50-70% of full gigabit speed -there is a lot of overhead and I think the first culprit may be your PC, since it uses a noticable amount of proc power to handle gigabit LAN, so if you are doing something else at the same time this may be slowing it down...

My PC is pretty powerful and I don't run things while streaming. I also tested the gigabit connection with my laptop and was getting 200-300 Mbps speeds. So it is not my PC.

·
Registered
59 Posts
sigh...I am having the same problem too, with no solution in sight. thread like this always get off-topic with misconception like cat5e can't do gigabit speed or HDD is the limiting factor, both can be rebuked (pc-to-pc transfer at gigabit speed, transfer rate of external usb drive content into ps3.) I don't think it's the length of the cable either, I tried putting my ps3 and my laptop with ps3ms with a gigabit switch and 12 ft of cat5e cable in between them, still transferring at 6-7MB/s.

I am starting to think some of us are getting a defective PS3...

(now if we can find someone with a proven gigabit transfer rated ps3 and hook it up in place of ours, we can solve this problem too)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm with ya lecco.

I am installing a 7200 RPM 320 GB hard drive into my PS3 tonight. Like you, I do not think the speed is limited by the HDD, but I will see if the new HDD increases the speed by a significant amount.

I really am at a loss as to why the speed is so low for a gigabit connection though. My status on the PC, the PS3, and the router all claim it is a gigabit connection, so why are my speeds for a 100 Mbps connection rather than a 1000 Mbps

I found a random forum post where someone said that TVersity didn't support gigabyte connections. I don't know if they were correct, but I am going to email the PS3 Media Server guys right now and ask about this situation.

http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/view...php?f=6&t=3480

·
Registered
59 Posts
speaking of software limitation, I was also suspecting if PS3 media server (PMS) is to blame. So I set up a http file server (HFS) and transfer the same 700mb file using the PS3 web browser. I am getting 13-14MB/s, which is better than 7MB/s and technically into the gigabit speed territory (100mb/s = 12.5MB/s) but still no real improvement. May be I should try a bigger file later to see if it makes any differences....

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmanuk /forum/post/17081347

Is that a gigabit connection and if so what transfer speeds are you getting ?

It is a giga bit! I use tversity, and ps3 media server. Is there a transfer rate indicator? when I dload from my pc via wired connection, just see %

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
My 1080i home videos studder on my PS3 wireless connection (but of course work flawless on wired).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've only been able to get 20 MB/sec transfer from my PS3 to my PC via gigabit ethernet connection. When I compare that to the 110-120 MB/sec I get between my computers, it seems like something is wrong. Anyone made any progress with this problem?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts