AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting read in Sound and Vision Mag.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-...c-players.html

So why would someone choose a standalone at a higher price when they could pick up the PS3 with all the extra capabilities? Even if you don't use it to game, I would think the money saved could go towards a nice new HDMI 1.3 receiver. And being able to download HD movie trailers is kind of neat.

·
Registered
718 Posts
having played with both the ps3 and the sony standalone unit. I would say picture quality is not an issue, they are that close. as of now the ps3 plays more formatts but the stand alone unit upscales regular dvds real nice

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force /forum/post/0

PS3 with all the extra capabilities? Even if you don't use it to game, I would think the money saved could go towards a nice new HDMI 1.3 receiver. And being able to download HD movie trailers is kind of neat.

Because many people still can't get past the idea that it's also a gaming console. Considering it's rated one of the top players and can function as just a movie player, there's no reason, IMO, not to consider it. Especially if you consider that the PS3 is the system more likely to handle some of the newer Blu-ray specs vs. the current standalones. But hey, they're free to spend their money the way they like.

Plus some people have stated issues that it doesn't integrate well with their current equipment (not stackable), the valid issue of not having IR to use with their universal remote, upscaling, etc. I understand these issues a lot more than just the excuse that it's a gaming system.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith75 /forum/post/0

Because many people still can't get past the idea that it's also a gaming console. Considering it's rated one of the top players and can function as just a movie player, there's no reason, IMO, not to consider it. Especially if you consider that the PS3 is the system more likely to handle some of the newer Blu-ray specs vs. the current standalones.

That is an excellent point. The standalone hardware currently out is somewhat limited to comply to full Blu-ray spec(some may not be enabled through firmware alone), so the PS3 is really the best choice for compliance and future performance. I think that as there is 2nd and 3rd gen hardware out, it will become a better option to get a standalone player for integration into existing theater equipment/racks, but that just hasn't happened yet. At this point, the PS3 is still a very viable option for dedicated theaters. That's not to say that the PS3 is a perfect choice for everybody. The Panny and the Pioneer offer some good features too, but may be more limited to full Blu-ray spec.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I love the look and feel of the Sony BDP-1, however I can't see spending $1K on this unit when you can buy the 20GB PS3 for half the price.

The standalone Sony is also a first generation player and as future generations are made and released they will most likely get better and of course cheaper in price.

I've also heard rumer (for what it's worth) that Sony may end up lowering prices on the PS3 to generate more interest as time goes by.....this is complete rumer and speculation.....no basis in fact or truth......overheard at several EBGames stores.....

I have a b-day coming up in a couple months and would like nothing more than to go out and purchase a Blu-ray machine.......but my conservatism will prevail....I'll wait.

·
Registered
580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawgijoe /forum/post/0

I've also heard rumor (for what it's worth) that Sony may end up lowering prices on the PS3 to generate more interest as time goes by.....this is complete rumor and speculation.....no basis in fact or truth......overheard at several EBGames stores.

Well, it's pretty common knowledge that video games systems drop in price nearly every year to reach its critical mass sales-wise. Since the PS3 is primarily a video game system, it will not stay at the $499/599 price point very long if it wishes to compete with the $299/$399 Xbox 360. Both the Xbox360 and PS3 will drop in price sometime between May and September, it's pretty much guaranteed, how much is the only question, but my guess is $100.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly /forum/post/0

having played with both the ps3 and the sony standalone unit. I would say picture quality is not an issue, they are that close. as of now the ps3 plays more formatts but the stand along unit upscalrs regular dvds real nice

Does the PS3 not perform upscaling?

Thanks.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:

the valid issue of not having IR to use with their universal remote, upscaling, etc.

Sorry to be such a PS3 n00b, but....

I have all my components in a vented cabinet, all on a radio controlled universal remote with the flashers on IR ports.

Does PS3 not have an IR eye? If not, is it radio controlled? ....and I'd need to use a seperate PS3 remote? That's not a deal wrecker for me, but if the PS3 must be in line of sight, I'm in trouble.

And sorry to repeat this inquiry.... but does the PS3 not upscale DVDs?

What a bummer if that's the case. I like the upscaling on the Toshiba A1.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I returned my BDP-S1 for a 60 Gig PS3, $322 cash, and a Bluetooth remote. I also got to keep the two free BD disc I got with the BDP-S1. Not a bad trade by any means.

The PS 3 doesn't upscale dvd's but the Bluetooth remote will work anywhere you point it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau /forum/post/0

but if the PS3 must be in line of sight, I'm in trouble.

PS3 does not need line of sight. I can go in another room....but then I can't see the screen.

PS3 does not upscale.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Tried the PS3 but it did not work well for me.

Picture was good but the interface was clunky.

No IR function so that I can us my programable remote, was not good.

Had to restart the unit several times when I got the terminal Please Wait message. Found this happened a lot when switching from Game function to Movie playback.

And yes I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

No upscaling of DVD.

These are just some of the reasons I took the unit back.

I will wait for a good standalone player that has Advanced Audio decoding.

The PS3 is a Game Console first and a Movie playback system second. And you are quite aware of it using it.

Does not integrate well in my dedicated HT.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocteau /forum/post/0

I have all my components in a vented cabinet, all on a radio controlled universal remote with the flashers on IR ports.

Does PS3 not have an IR eye? If not, is it radio controlled? ....and I'd need to use a seperate PS3 remote? That's not a deal wrecker for me, but if the PS3 must be in line of sight, I'm in trouble.

The PS3 does not have IR....it uses Bluetooth. There is a thread in this forum about getting IR with an adapter, so you may want to look at that if you don't want to use the controller or the $25 Bluetooth remote.

As of today, it does not upscale. There is a rumor that they may address this issue in the huge firmware update in March, but it has not been confirmed. I already have an upscaling player and just use that, but could see it being an issue if this is your one and only player of media.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis M /forum/post/0

Tried the PS3 but it did not work well for me.

Picture was good but the interface was clunky.

No IR function so that I can us my programable remote, was not good.

Had to restart the unit several times when I got the terminal Please Wait message. Found this happened a lot when switching from Game function to Movie playback.

And yes I did upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

No upscaling of DVD.

These are just some of the reasons I took the unit back.

I will wait for a good standalone player that has Advanced Audio decoding.

The PS3 is a Game Console first and a Movie playback system second. And you are quite aware of it using it.

Does not integrate well in my dedicated HT.

I've read the same complaint that the interface is clunky. For whatever reason, when I watch movies on it, it goes straight to the movie and I never see the interface.

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-force /forum/post/0

Interesting read in Sound and Vision Mag.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/hd-...c-players.html

So why would someone choose a standalone at a higher price when they could pick up the PS3 with all the extra capabilities? Even if you don't use it to game, I would think the money saved could go towards a nice new HDMI 1.3 receiver. And being able to download HD movie trailers is kind of neat.

Contrary to the garbage published the PS3 does not have PQ as good as the best standalones.

·
Registered
776 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper /forum/post/0

Contrary to the garbage published the PS3 does not have PQ as good as the best standalones.

I haven't done any comparisons myself, but your view is the opposite of just about everyone on the forum that has compared the PS3 to stand alone players.

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:

The PS3 does not have IR....it uses Bluetooth. There is a thread in this forum about getting IR with an adapter, so you may want to look at that if you don't want to use the controller or the $25 Bluetooth remote.

As of today, it does not upscale. There is a rumor that they may address this issue in the huge firmware update in March, but it has not been confirmed. I already have an upscaling player and just use that, but could see it being an issue if this is your one and only player of media.

Thanks.

Having now read the article in the thread, many of my questions were answered.

I don't mind buying a $25 remote, and having a second one around, but I'll check into the adapter, thanks.

I think I'll wait for more game titles, more movies, and this upscaling thing to be addressed.

What I do know is that the PS3 has tons of spare horsepower and storage, making it the most firmware adjustable box out there. I'd be prone to beileve almost anything about firmware updates for the PS3.

LOL, compared to the firmware updates for my Toshiba A1, all professing to make playback faster. That thing is so slow!

·
Registered
608 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 /forum/post/0

I haven't done any comparisons myself, but your view is the opposite of just about everyone on the forum that has compared the PS3 to stand alone players.

Good to hear.

Sony should be able to do almost anything to tweak the PS3 via firmware of direct download.

"The Chip" or it's brain, is just huge!

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper /forum/post/0

As would be expected.

Same as A2 v. XA2: You get what you pay for.

But, it doesn't mean that the PS/3 doesn't deliver a spectacular picture.

Gary

·
Registered
440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg131 /forum/post/0

Its generally accepted by those who have personally tested multiple players that the PS3 ranks near the bottom with only the Samsung exhibiting worse PQ.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.