Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who want to watch Hulu on your PS3, here's a suggestion:

Tell Hulu!

Here's a response I got from sending a request to [email protected]

Quote:
Thanks for writing .

We'd like to see more devices support our site as well. We're aware of the Flash compatibility issue (it's the same one that affects the Wii) and will see what we can do. User feedback like yours helps us to prioritize our efforts and understand just what devices our users are using in which proportions.

Eugene

So... If enough people express interest in watching Hulu clips on their PS3 or Wii, Hulu will respond.

I don't know about you, but I'd love to watch full episodes of "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report" on my 50" TV and not on my 19" desktop monitor.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Hell, I'll shoot them an email. Can't hurt.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Not to be the Debbie Downer but I would think that Sony wouldn't really go for this since it would compete with their new video downloads. I hope I am wrong though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
But the issue is not Hulu's explicit support of the PS3, it is the lack of PS3 support for flash v9.

Therefore the requests/questions need to go to Sony, letting them know that there is a need to improve the version of flash used in the browser (hell, while your at it, tell them the browser sucks also).

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'd rather have the issue addressed on Sony's side by upgrading the flash player. That way other websites would also work, such as Gametrailers.com.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
My only problems with the browser is that the flash support isn't good enough and it asks me if I want to run "the plugin" EVERY TIME. Why isn't there an option to always run "the plugin?"

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtkbee /forum/post/14324305

But the issue is not Hulu's explicit support of the PS3, it is the lack of PS3 support for flash v9.

Therefore the requests/questions need to go to Sony, letting them know that there is a need to improve the version of flash used in the browser (hell, while your at it, tell them the browser sucks also).

exactly. this is sony's issue to fix, if they so desire.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad473 /forum/post/14326202

exactly. this is sony's issue to fix, if they so desire.

I'm not going to say that Sony or Nintendo shouldn't support Flash 9. They should! But we may have more luck convincing Hulu to come down to 7 then we would convincing Sony to come up to 9.

If Hulu drops to 7, it can be played on more devices, and not just the PS3, PSP, or Wii. More devices means more ads served. More ads served means more money. If the cost to come up with a "Mobile Hulu" is less than the projected revenue stream, they will jump at the chance.

That's why I'm asking you to nag Hulu. If you want to nag Sony, do it too!

- Nobody

While you're at it, nag Adobe! It's mostly their fault that there is no Flash 9 support on the PS3. They do not have a Flash 9 distribution that would work on the PS3's architecture.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
The problem is flash 7 has a sh!t house video codec. Flash 8 onwards features mp4 (On2's version) video compressions which greatly reduces bandwidth requirements.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The response I got from Hulu:

Hi Mike,

Unfortunately, we require Flash 8 and the PS3 only supports Flash 7. I do not know if they have plans to support higher versions of Flash but I hope they do soon. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts