AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching and found this old article when PS3 was 1st announced back in 2005. It's interesting to compare what features got dropped by the time PS3 came out and additional features got dropped since with the latest CECH-3000 model.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6124681...unced-for-2006


PLAYSTATION 3 SPECIFICATIONS

Features that never came out
Features that dropped after BC models
Not available for Blu-ray playback without HDMI in CECH-3000


CPU: Cell Processor PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz

--1 VMX vector unit per core

--512KB L2 cache

--7 x SPE @3.2GHz

--7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs

--7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE

--*1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy

--Total floating point performance: 218 gigaflops


GPU RSX @ 550MHz

--1.8 TFLOPS floating point Performance

--Full HD (up to 1080p) x 2 channels

--Multi-way programmable parallel Floating point shader pipelines

--Sound Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)


MEMORY

256MB XDR Main RAM @3.2GHz

256MB GDDR3 VRAM @700MHz

System Bandwidth Main RAM-- 25.6GB/s

VRAM--22.4GB/s

RSX-- 20GB/s (write) + 15GB/s (read)

SB2.5GB/s (write) + 2.5GB/s (read)


SYSTEM FLOATING POINT PERFORMANCE:

2 teraflops


STORAGE

--HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD slot x 1
--I/O--USB Front x 4, Rear x 2 (USB2.0)

--Memory Stickstandard/Duo, PRO x 1

--SD standard/mini x 1

--CompactFlash(Type I, II) x 1



COMMUNICATION

--Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) x 3 (input x 1 + output x 2)

--Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 b/g

--Bluetooth--Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

--ControllerBluetooth (up to 7)

--USB 2.0 (wired)

--Wi-Fi (PSP)

--Network (over IP)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,766 Posts
For me the biggest WTF? is the limited number of USB ports--especially now that Sony wants everyone to have Move controllers that require a USB camera. This leaves only one USB port for controller rechargers, gaming headsets, external USB HDDs/thumb drives, Singstar mikes, other music game accessories, EA Sports Active 2 motion sensor dongle, and other peripherals I'm not aware of.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,953 Posts
I agree. I'm also disappointed in the lack of aesthetics. Isn't there a way to make the case cheap, yet still stylish?


The PS2 slim was pretty cool looking, but the PS3 doesn't really jive. I was even looking at how to mod a slim into a phat case, but it's impossible because of the different dimensions of the motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,909 Posts
I like my slim better than my phat. It doesn't show scratches, it doesn't attract dust (or at least doesn't show it), and it doesn't sound like a hair dryer. Power switch? Just unplug the cable, it's right where the power switch used to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
I love how you mix rumors with reality to make your almost religious crusade seem more reasonable.


The Vita never lost anything, it is not released. Rumors about how Sony changed the specs internally is irrelevant. The same goes for BS like multi HDMI ports, ethernet, etc. on the PS3. These were never part of any PS3. Did you also add that the included HDMI with the 20GB when initially they said it would not have it?


IMO you need to stop trolling with your broken recording posts. If you hate the PS3 so much, write a deranged letter to Sony and go back to the Xbox forums.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,543 Posts
Many of the so called missing bits would have been nice, and not cost Sony that much .. and I'm sure the PS3 continues to be a cash cow since it's always sold at or near retail ..


I like the looks of my phat better than my slim .. the phat on a vertical base just looks very monolithic to me .. and I don't touch the casing enough to worry about fingerprints ..


The slim just looks so ... plain ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20789208


The same goes for BS like multi HDMI ports, ethernet, etc. on the PS3. These were never part of any PS3.

Wrong. Kaz stood in front of the world to unveil the PS3 and told EVERYONE that the PS3 would have the abilities his list talks about. The media took and posted pictures of the prototype PS3. I remember the backlash that came out when things were cut that people wanted.


I don't know if he trolls here as I usually ignore people like that, but I find his post to be a nice trip down memory lane. If the PS3 had dual HDMI ports, the PS3 may have been a great 3D BR player (could have kept loss-less audio most likely). The extra USB would also be very nice. By the same token, the 360 announcement didn't change any specs for the worse (They did double the RAM).


Sony has a flair for the dramatic, but they do go overboard sometimes (Killzone 2) and later look like fools. It must be working for them as they have done this for many years. I don't care really what they tell me. I wait until products are available and then justify if it is worth my money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
The biggest thing I wish my PS3 (phat) had is USB ports on the back. I hate having the PS Eye, BT headset charger, etc. cables running out of the front of my PS3. Two in front and two in back would've been perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBad /forum/post/20789534


The biggest thing I wish my PS3 (phat) had is USB ports on the back. I hate having the PS Eye, BT headset charger, etc. cables running out of the front of my PS3. Two in front and two in back would've been perfect.

You could always buy a USB hub. My parents used to have a powered one that worked really well. I don't think they cost all that much either. I am kind of a lunatic with wires hanging out of the front of my gear. I have enough wires hanging out the back to deal with!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20789208


I love how you mix rumors with reality to make your almost religious crusade seem more reasonable.


The Vita never lost anything, it is not released. Rumors about how Sony changed the specs internally is irrelevant. The same goes for BS like multi HDMI ports, ethernet, etc. on the PS3. These were never part of any PS3. Did you also add that the included HDMI with the 20GB when initially they said it would not have it?


IMO you need to stop trolling with your broken recording posts. If you hate the PS3 so much, write a deranged letter to Sony and go back to the Xbox forums.

I like both my PS3 and X360 equally but I also don't turn a blind eye when the companies, both Sony and Microsoft start to drop the console hardware features. But it doesn't matter what I say as fans will always support their favorite no matter what it is done. Any negative shouldn't be brought up even it effects the gaming experience. If no one speaks of it, the console makers will continue to believe everything they do is good and acceptable. Someone from Sony could be reading comments from this forum since it's more open to discussion.


But it is interesting when looking back at what PS3 "supposed" to have vs 1st shipped model and the latest model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20789208


I love how you mix rumors with reality to make your almost religious crusade seem more reasonable.


The Vita never lost anything, it is not released. Rumors about how Sony changed the specs internally is irrelevant. The same goes for BS like multi HDMI ports, ethernet, etc. on the PS3. These were never part of any PS3. Did you also add that the included HDMI with the 20GB when initially they said it would not have it?


IMO you need to stop trolling with your broken recording posts. If you hate the PS3 so much, write a deranged letter to Sony and go back to the Xbox forums.

LMAO What? This coming from the same person that simply could not stop themselve from trolling anything Kinect related for the last year? As it was already pointed out when the PS3 was introduced it had all those specs and then got removed after it was delayed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20789371


Wrong. Kaz stood in front of the world to unveil the PS3 and told EVERYONE that the PS3 would have the abilities his list talks about. The media took and posted pictures of the prototype PS3. I remember the backlash that came out when things were cut that people wanted.


I don't know if he trolls here as I usually ignore people like that, but I find his post to be a nice trip down memory lane. If the PS3 had dual HDMI ports, the PS3 may have been a great 3D BR player (could have kept loss-less audio most likely). The extra USB would also be very nice. By the same token, the 360 announcement didn't change any specs for the worse (They did double the RAM).


Sony has a flair for the dramatic, but they do go overboard sometimes (Killzone 2) and later look like fools. It must be working for them as they have done this for many years. I don't care really what they tell me. I wait until products are available and then justify if it is worth my money.

The lack of lossless audio for 3D has nothing to do with the number of outputs on the PS3. Sure a multi-HDMI output player is convenient for people who don't have the right AVRs but the PS3 not being able to do lossless audio and 3D is completely different than players that have no issues doing both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/20789860


I like both my PS3 and X360 equally but I also don't turn a blind eye when the companies, both Sony and Microsoft start to drop the console hardware features. But it doesn't matter what I say as fans will always support their favorite no matter what it is done. Any negative shouldn't be brought up even it effects the gaming experience. If no one speaks of it, the console makers will continue to believe everything they do is good and acceptable. Someone from Sony could be reading comments from this forum since it's more open to discussion.


But it is interesting when looking back at what PS3 "supposed" to have vs 1st shipped model and the latest model.

Actually MS has added features like an HDMI port, bigger HDD and built in wifi.


Sony has removed more than added.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20789371


Wrong. Kaz stood in front of the world to unveil the PS3 and told EVERYONE that the PS3 would have the abilities his list talks about. The media took and posted pictures of the prototype PS3. I remember the backlash that came out when things were cut that people wanted.


I don't know if he trolls here as I usually ignore people like that, but I find his post to be a nice trip down memory lane. If the PS3 had dual HDMI ports, the PS3 may have been a great 3D BR player (could have kept loss-less audio most likely). The extra USB would also be very nice. By the same token, the 360 announcement didn't change any specs for the worse (They did double the RAM).


Sony has a flair for the dramatic, but they do go overboard sometimes (Killzone 2) and later look like fools. It must be working for them as they have done this for many years. I don't care really what they tell me. I wait until products are available and then justify if it is worth my money.

Whats was wrong with KZ2? It was a pretty damn good space marine game, and beautiful to top it off.


KZ3 kinda jumped the shark.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/20791272


Whats was wrong with KZ2? It was a pretty damn good space marine game, and beautiful to top it off.


KZ3 kinda jumped the shark.

Oh nothing at all with KZ2. I enjoyed playing it and if I didn't lend it to someone (who never gave it back), I would do another run through with it. The problem was the reveal video that looked UNREAL! Sony set expectations far beyond the capability of the PS3 with that CGI "target" video. BF3 is along the lines of what the KZ2 video portrayed all those years ago.


I don't fault Sony as that CGI video probably sold them a lot of games that they

wouldn't have. Hopefully people enjoyed the game for what it was and not for what it wasn't graphically (Not that it was bad by any means).


I am at the point with Sony that I will not believe anything until I see it. Sony continues to provide fantastic exclusive games that I really look forward to. I just steer away from the previews and world unveils. Information will come along closer to launch that can be viewed with more realistic expectations. Uncharted 3 can't get here fast enough, and I am avoiding everything about it until it is in my hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyrnes /forum/post/20793483


Oh nothing at all with KZ2. I enjoyed playing it and if I didn't lend it to someone (who never gave it back), I would do another run through with it. The problem was the reveal video that looked UNREAL! Sony set expectations far beyond the capability of the PS3 with that CGI "target" video. BF3 is along the lines of what the KZ2 video portrayed all those years ago.


I don't fault Sony as that CGI video probably sold them a lot of games that they

wouldn't have. Hopefully people enjoyed the game for what it was and not for what it wasn't graphically (Not that it was bad by any means).


I am at the point with Sony that I will not believe anything until I see it. Sony continues to provide fantastic exclusive games that I really look forward to. I just steer away from the previews and world unveils. Information will come along closer to launch that can be viewed with more realistic expectations. Uncharted 3 can't get here fast enough, and I am avoiding everything about it until it is in my hands.

I'll respect your opinion. But have you watched the comparison video between KZ2 and the CGI video lately.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ta...llzone-2/21609

Again, maybe I'm going blind but that is hardly far beyond what KZ2 and Killzone 3 look like in real-time. If you read the comments sections some people even think the CGI video looks worse than the the finished project.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,356 Posts
Saw Vortex spouting the same stuff over at N4G, so at least he is getting around with his hate for Sony. I hope the price drop comes soon, it will drown out the non-sense over missing LEDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable /forum/post/20795054


Saw Vortex spouting the same stuff over at N4G, so at least he is getting around with his hate for Sony. I hope the price drop comes soon, it will drown out the non-sense over missing LEDs.

Sure I "hate" Sony but I continue to play a lot of games on my PS3 just not what Sony has been doing. PS3 could have been a much better machine if Sony doesn't keep downgrading the hardware after spoiled the launch model buyers with all kind of features. (I own 20GB, 60GB and 80GB BC models). I like to pick up a slim model sometime but all I see if hardware features get dropped model after model. Doesn't really matter since there will always be those who love whatever Sony is doing.


I do want to hear your opinion about this one:

When you buy the 1st launch model for a piece of electronic device, it costs more and has x amount of hardware features.

With the refinement of electronics manufacturing, the manufacturing cost naturally goes down and the electronics is also sold for less.

Eventually, you'll replace it because it broke or you need another one.

Normally, you would expect able to do at least the same functions as your old model on the newest revised model because the existing features can be packed into few chips and still costs less to manufacture.

But when each revised model starts to drop the hardware features from the launch model, it becomes a problem when you do need to replace or buy another one several years later and you still need the features from the launch models (an example is Super AudioCD which I do).


My point is Sony appears to be gone extreme in cutting out the hardware features after each revision. Are some of the very low cost but useful features worth taking out just because they can save a "penny"? If you bought the launch PS3 model for two functions only, games and Blu-ray movies, then you don't care what Sony dropped from the revised models. But if you do use every feature from the launch model, then what?


(I still find it curious how Microsoft is able to continue adding more hardware features through revised models while Sony continues to find it expensive to keep the existing hardware features at current production models. Is the quality of the electronics used on the current production models that much different between both companies? Or Sony felt so burned by the cost of the early models and they are going to extreme savings to make up? That happened to Microsoft after Xbox 1).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,961 Posts
I'm as irked as anyone by some of the feature losses. Once my 60gb died, I lost my beloved PS2 BC. But for the most part, most of these additional features proved unnecessary over the lifetime of the product. Each cut only affected a very small part of the consumer base. Of course, the problem was that those same consumers are also the most dedicated brand loyalists. Even worse, when they cut Other OS, they stirred up a particularly nasty hornets' nest. It may have been a small number of users, but those Other OS folks are also the most dangerous to piss off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D /forum/post/20795339


if you do use every feature from the launch model, then what?

Then you're a liar.


Quote:
I still find it curious how Microsoft is able to continue adding more hardware features through revised models while Sony continues to find it expensive to keep the existing hardware features at current production models. Is the quality of the electronics used on the current production models that much different between both companies? Or Sony felt so burned by the cost of the early models and they are going to extreme savings to make up? That happened to Microsoft after Xbox 1

Sony overreached. But I'm not really clear what "hardware features" MS has added. They dropped their HD-DVD peripheral and added Kinect. But those are peripherals. And every other feature has been on the software side. In terms of hardware features, Sony still outpaces MS (HD audio, Blu-ray, USB, non-proprietary HDD, bluetooth, and so on).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/20795917


I'm as irked as anyone by some of the feature losses. Once my 60gb died, I lost my beloved PS2 BC. But for the most part, most of these additional features proved unnecessary over the lifetime of the product. Each cut only affected a very small part of the consumer base. Of course, the problem was that those same consumers are also the most dedicated brand loyalists. Even worse, when they cut Other OS, they stirred up a particularly nasty hornets' nest. It may have been a small number of users, but those Other OS folks are also the most dangerous to piss off.


Then you're a liar.



Sony overreached. But I'm not really clear what "hardware features" MS has added. They dropped their HD-DVD peripheral and added Kinect. But those are peripherals. And every other feature has been on the software side. In terms of hardware features, Sony still outpaces MS (HD audio, Blu-ray, USB, non-proprietary HDD, bluetooth, and so on).

MS has now added bluetooth capability with headset.

http://majornelson.com/2011/07/26/xb...-media-remote/
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top