AVS Forum banner

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Any Harmony remote will do what you need. You'll need either an IR to USB or IR to BT adapter for the PS3.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
How much are you willing to spend on a remote?

if price doesn't matter then I highly recommend the Logitech Harmony One remote. I think you can get it for around $200 on amazon. It can control almost everything in your list and then some however, it can not control the PS3 (nor can any IR remote) unless you are buying one of the solutions mentioned in this thread.

Here is the AVS thread dedicated to the Harmony One: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=967841

·
Registered
398 Posts
There is more than one solution for you, but my opinion (because I'm familiar with them both, and they both work very well) is

Logitech Harmony 880

IR4PS3

I just recommended a complete av system for a friend (will install it all next weekend after I have all ordered components/accessories in-hand), and we found the 880 at Circuit City for $100 (!!!). Crazy price. Don't know if they still have it for that price, may have been Thanksgiving weekend/Black Friday only.

The Harmony One should function the same. I also chose the same Onkyo receiver as you have. I just finished programming the remote yesterday (he installed the software on his PC 120 miles away, I program the remote, and he updates, and it's finished and ready for installation day (except for some tweaking that will certainly need to be done).

I've had the 880 since Sep '05, and the IR4PS3 since July 18. My 880 controls 9 devices, all to perfection, and in exactly the way I want. Re: the IR4PS3, it's great to browse photos or imported music via my XMB, or watch a Blu-ray without having to use the PS3 controller. Awesome. Highly highly recommended.

The IR4P3 comes in 2 flavors - assembled ($68.20 plus shipping) or unassembled ($40 plus shipping). Assembled, including shipping with tracking from Canada (to northern Cal) was $91.21. Then the unit needs power - either a mini-USB cable or a standard power (brick) supply, and the proper power jack. I bought the power supply and jack from Radio Shack online for $29 (incl shipping), though afterwards I realized a mini-USB would probably have been less expensive, and a cleaner solution. It wasn't an option for my specific system in July, so it was out of my head when ordering for my friend (would have worked well with his IP STB, which is on 24/7 and has a USB out).

If you are interesting in the IR4PS3, you must email Ben at [email protected] . He only accepts payment via PayPal, and ships within 1-2 business days of payment. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
You can get a Harmony 880 refurb from Amazon.com for $75. On Monday they had it new for $80, but that deal has expired.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok, so the Harmony is a good way to go, but it doesn't control the PS3 unless I buy an adapter?

I'm a cheap ass, so I really didn't want to pay more than $50 or so. I know, I know.

I think I'll just tell my wife to deal with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15204309

You don't. You have to exit to the XBR with your PS3 controller before you can use the remote to power off.

The above holds true when playing a game, but why access the XBR and do all that scrolling just to turn the PS3 off when I could easily do that by holding down the PS button and select "Turn Off System"? I want to turn off EVERYTHING (plasma, receiver, PS3) with one motion (power off button) on my Harmony 720.

I accomplished this by programming the Power Off Macro as previously stated earlier in this post. I am now able to accomplish one-button power off whether I'm playing games or watching DVDs/BDs.

Playing games: Hit PS button to access superimposed XBR > press power off button on Harmony. Voila!

Watching DVDs/BDs: Quit playback to access nonsuperimposed XBR (On my remote, the "exit" or stop buttons accomplish this.) > press power off button on Harmony. Again...voila!

My remote uses the default speed delay settings, and I've had no problems.

QUESTION: How do I adjust the duration of a button press, specifically, a duration of 1000ms for DirectionLeft? My Logitech software (for Mac v. 7.5.0) only allows speed delays for power on (1500 ms), inter-key (500 ms), and inter-device (100 ms), but not for the length of specific button presses.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
You're the one that asked how to access the XMB using the PS button with your IR to USB device. Why are you now saying "why access the XBR and do all that scrolling just to turn the PS3 off when I could easily do that by holding down the PS button and select "Turn Off System"?"

True that you could exit to the XMB from a movie by hitting exit first, but that isn't exactly the foolproof solution people are looking for. The proper solution shouldn't require any user input besides the off button.

·
Registered
398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeONGeneSAr /forum/post/15206779

QUESTION: How do I adjust the duration of a button press, specifically, a duration of 1000ms for DirectionLeft? My Logitech software (for Mac v. 7.5.0) only allows speed delays for power on (1500 ms), inter-key (500 ms), and inter-device (100 ms), but not for the length of specific button presses.

Most (or all) Logitech devices have a response setting, on a scale from 0-5. Adjust this and it I believe it will give you what you want. I used this setting to adjust the amount my avr volume would increase or decrease, and it worked just as I hoped. You'll find the setting under the device's troubleshooting options.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie 1.8 /forum/post/15207774

Most (or all) Logitech devices have a response setting, on a scale from 0-5. Adjust this and it I believe it will give you what you want. I used this setting to adjust the amount my avr volume would increase or decrease, and it worked just as I hoped. You'll find the setting under the device's troubleshooting options.

I think he just wants to set the DirectionLeft to have the increased response only when shutting down. Changing the response in the device profile would make it practically uncontrollable doing normal tasks, such as browsing the XMB, other than shutdown.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Oh, I didn't realize he was looking for a solution to work only when shutting down. If that is true, then my suggestion would not do the trick.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
To shut off the PS3 using the Schmartz PS3IR-X1 you should call Harmony support and ask them to add the following power off macro. You cannot do this yourself as user's don't have the ability to add pauses or button hold durations.

DirectionLeft Duration in milliseconds 1000

DirectionUp Duration in milliseconds 500

X

Pause for 500 milliseconds

X

This has been tested and verified to work.

For people with other remotes you may be able to program in a similar macro, or use a series of DirectionLeft and DirectionUp button presses instead.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hello everone,

I may be about to buy a Harmony One and I have a couple of questions about the Ps3/Nyko dongle issue. I understand from reading the last several pages that it still won't power the Ps3 on or off. I can live with that. But just how do I get the rest to work? I went to the Logitech product website where they give you the chance to test your components to see it they are in the data base. It wouldn't accept the PS3 and said why. It did accept the Nyko bluwave controller, but after that still didn't take the PS3. I understand that I was just on a test sales program and not the 7.5 software that I would use when I buy the unit.

How does that work? Once you enter the Nyko, will it then accept the PS3?

Once you tell it to load everthing into your remote, will all the controls to play discs be there, and will the PS3 be in your unit to include in the activities?

By selecting the "Play Blu Ray activity, does the controller think it has turned on the PS3 and likewise when you hit "all off"? But then you just go turn it on and off manually?

Also, if I'm in an activity and can't figure out, or don't want to take the time to figure out something I want one component to do, will aiming its own remote at it (the component) and performing the function in any way affect the Harmony?

Just one more. If I'm in an activity with say the TV, the receiver and the DVD player in use, and I'm controlling volume through the receiver, say aspect through the TV, and play/pause through the DVD, do I have to hit a button on the Harmony to change components I'm controlling everytime go to a different one?

Thanks much for your help.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan /forum/post/15241913

It did accept the Nyko bluwave controller, but after that still didn't take the PS3.

Your Harmony is actually controlling the Nyko (not the PS3 directly), so this is fine. It will still work without a specific PS3 device configured. You can also rename the label applied to the Nyko device in the Harmony software to "PS3" if it helps.

Quote:

Once you enter the Nyko, will it then accept the PS3? Once you tell it to load everthing into your remote, will all the controls to play discs be there, and will the PS3 be in your unit to include in the activities?

The Nyko controls the common movie playing buttons (stop, pause, directional arrows, select, forward, reverse, etc.), but you won't have the full Sony Bluetooth remote functionality directly - only the same stuff the game controller currently provides. But note that the PS3 has onscreen buttons for most of the missing Sony remote buttons, so it isn't a huge loss - it is just a multi-step onscreen sequence rather than one hard button on the Sony remote.

Quote:

By selecting the "Play Blu Ray activity, does the controller think it has turned on the PS3 and likewise when you hit "all off"? But then you just go turn it on and off manually?

You turn the PS3 on manually, wait for it to start up and then activate a Harmony activity, such as Watch Movie to do the rest. To power down, you use the harmony "All Off" button and then power down the PS3 manually using the button on the PS3. Alternatively, you can power down PS3 from the XMB menu and then use the harmony "All Off" button to power down everything else.

Quote:

Also, if I'm in an activity and can't figure out, or don't want to take the time to figure out something I want one component to do, will aiming its own remote at it (the component) and performing the function in any way affect the Harmony?

You can manually go into Device mode and send commands specifically to any device, even after you've entered a Harmony activity. It you manually power off a component, for example, the activities mode might get confused, though. The Help button on the Harmony can usually fix things in that case.

Quote:

Just one more. If I'm in an activity with say the TV, the receiver and the DVD player in use, and I'm controlling volume through the receiver, say aspect through the TV, and play/pause through the DVD, do I have to hit a button on the Harmony to change components I'm controlling everytime go to a different one?

The harmony can map any hard or onscreen button to any device included in the activity (it comes with some defaults for the buttons and you can customize them), so you do not need to go into a receiver device/mode to change the volume while watching a movie, for example.

If you want on/off, decently fast menu navigation, and other advanced functionality, I'd suggest investigating the more capable, but more expensive options like these (in no particular order):
http://www.schmartstuff.com/
http://www.ps3toothfairy.com/
http://ir2bt.com/

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagoge /forum/post/15243273

Your Harmony is actually controlling the Nyko (not the PS3 directly), so this is fine. It will still work without a specific PS3 device configured. You can also rename the label applied to the Nyko device in the Harmony software to "PS3" if it helps.

You can manually go into Device mode and send commands specifically to any device, even after you've entered a Harmony activity. It you manually power off a component, for example, the activities mode might get confused, though. The Help button on the Harmony can usually fix things in that case.

url] http://ir2bt.com/[/url ]

Thanks Anagoge,

What I meant to ask about controlling a component individually was referring to using its own clicker to do something. Say you start an activity that uses the TV but it fails to turn on. Could you just pick up the TV remote and start it? The TV's remote wouldn't send some signal to the Harmony that would confuse it, or would it? Wouldn't the Harmony think the TV was anyway?

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
After you get your Harmony you won't ever need your old remotes. If there is a command missing from the Activity then you can either add it or go into Device mode and select it. Your LCD screen has multiple pages available for those commands so you might as well get your money's worth and use it.

In general you probably want to keep your Activities streamlined with the most used commands and then use Devices as a fallback. Your daily used commands should be in Activities and other stuff left in Device mode.

For your PS3 you want to make sure you map the Triangle button either as a soft key (LCD) or a hard button (menu or guide?). This will pull up the misc commands that the Nyko cannot directly control. Getting one of the IR to BT devices linked above solves those issues, but lightens your wallet.

Also, as stated in the prior post you do not add a PS3 device since it is actually the Nyko that you are controlling. Just rename the device to PS3 if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan /forum/post/15243538

Thanks Anagoge,

What I meant to ask about controlling a component individually was referring to using its own clicker to do something. Say you start an activity that uses the TV but it fails to turn on. Could you just pick up the TV remote and start it? The TV's remote wouldn't send some signal to the Harmony that would confuse it, or would it? Wouldn't the Harmony think the TV was anyway?

That is what the Help button on the Harmony is for. If something gets skipped you hit help and it will typically switch all the inputs to the proper settings and ask if that worked. You hit yes or no, if you hit no then it will more than likely start resending the power on commands.

If all of that fails to work or you wish to override anything then just go to device mode and choose the command or map that command to your activity.

The remote isn't two-way so it doesn't receive anything from the devices. You need to spend quite a bit of money to get that type of functionality. The Harmony tracks the state of the components as you use Activities keeping up with what is on or off. If you manually change something then it will get confused. Using Help will get state management resynced. However, this is typically not a problem if your devices have discrete power on and off buttons. The Harmony can send multiple power on commands and the device will always be in the ON state. If the device only has a Power Toggle command then multiple power ons will lead to an out of sync device.

I have my Harmony set to NOT power off my unused devices. I often pause a game or movie to watch a TV show and do not want the remote to turn off that device as I switch to the TV. As an example of an override I have my XBox 360 Activity with a Power Toggle mapped to a softkey. This way if I do switch to the TV and I'm not paused in a game or movie then I can manually power it down since the fan noise can be annoying. The state management doesn't get confused if I do an ALL OFF command since the 360 has discrete power commands so it gets sent a power off command (which does nothing in this case). If it didn't have discrete power commands then the ALL OFF would actually turn it back on. This is the case of a PS3 with an IR to BT device since ANY command sent to the PS3 through a BT remote will turn the PS3 on.

A new option for the PS3 is to set it to power down after a period of inactivity. Now you have a (delayed) power off.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15243658

A new option for the PS3 is to set it to power down after a period of inactivity. Now you have a (delayed) power off.

Yes, I read that a few pages back. I also read it requires a software update, and then I read there have been problems with the most recent one. Is all that true? I only use my PS3 to play Blu Ray occasionally, so I don't want to fix ( but break) what already ain't broke if you know what I mean. Should I go ahead and update or leave it alone? And how do you do a software update? Thanks much.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yampan /forum/post/15243781

Yes, I read that a few pages back. I also read it requires a software update, and then I read there have been problems with the most recent one. Is all that true?

The latest PS3 firmware works great for me for both movies and games. There will be minor problems with every release, but none that would stop me from upgrading to the latest firmware at this point. The recent upgrades have been very stable, for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anagoge /forum/post/15247731

The latest PS3 firmware works great for me for both movies and games. There will be minor problems with every release, but none that would stop me from upgrading to the latest firmware at this point. The recent upgrades have been very stable, for me.

Ditto for me. I've updated to every release they've had since release and have had 0 issues. I'm also one of the "beta" users for PS Home which is quite cool and have never experienced a drop or network issue while online. I'd say definitely update and see what happens.

1141 - 1160 of 1200 Posts