AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15255738

Will this thing work a ps3? plus my Onkyo 606 and Sharp DT-510 and DirecTV HR20 box?

No. No universal remote will control the PS3 without some other device to convert the IR signals. You need either an IR to USB converter or an IR to Bluetooth converter. The USB ones are the cheapest, but are limited in what they can do. The Bluetooth ones are the most expensive, but can do everything that the official Sony remote can do.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15255984

No. No universal remote will control the PS3 without some other device to convert the IR signals. You need either an IR to USB converter or an IR to Bluetooth converter. The USB ones are the cheapest, but are limited in what they can do. The Bluetooth ones are the most expensive, but can do everything that the official Sony remote can do.

thanks,

so the whole controversy with the ps3 universal remote thing boils down to having to buy this IR kit thing and its an issue for people who only want 1 remote to control everything? versus a universal remote plus a ps3 blu-ray remote?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15243658

This is the case of a PS3 with an IR to BT device since ANY command sent to the PS3 through a BT remote will turn the PS3 on.

Just an FYI: The above statement is not true anymore. The IR to BT converters are coming up with ingenious ways of making discrete offs. For example, the PS3IR-PRO for which I use, now uses an old non used PS2 command to initiate the power off sequence for the PS3 to be emmitted by the converter. At the same time, the box goes down into shutdown mode and can only be awoken with the PS button press. It will respond to NO other commands, thus accidental turn on and out of state errors are a thing of the past. I know the other competitors are coming up with similar ideas too.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunx /forum/post/15284488

hi all, does the PS2 remote method described in the first post work for powering on and off the PS3?

No.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I just ordered the ir4ps3. Ben the ir4ps3 guy was really quick at answering emails that I sent and shipped the following day. I cannot wait to check out this device.

Just got my ir4ps3 and I can say the quality of the product is really nice. Very easy to setup as long as you read the PDF that Ben sends you via email.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I just got the PS3IRX1 from Schmartz, Inc. and confirm it works with the universal remote provided from DirecTV. Just program it using the Remote Setup menu on the DirecTV box as a generic Sony DVD player on either AV1 or AV2 as instructed. Sorry but I can't remember which remote code number I used off hand. Play, Pause, FF, REV, Stop, Menu, Exit, Select and all the navigation arrows work perfectly! Thus you can navigate the XMB and scroll all the way to the left for Power Off. For basic DVD/Blu-ray playback it covers every command you'll ever need I think. The unit itself is tiny and simply plugs into the front USB port of the PS3, there is nothing to download or configure. I've got no complaints so far... $40 well spent. Shipping took 3 days.

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch42 /forum/post/15286979

I just ordered the ir4ps3. Ben the ir4ps3 guy was really quick at answering emails that I sent and shipped the following day. I cannot wait to check out this device.

Just got my ir4ps3 and I can say the quality of the product is really nice. Very easy to setup as long as you read the PDF that Ben sends you via email.

How long did it take to get to you after it shipped? Mine was sent out on Friday and I'm getting impatient. Stupid Post Office and their minimal tracking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, I just got the nyco blu-wave today. I had my harmony 620 (720) set-up as game console with dvd and tried to make it learn IR and wasn't to happy with the results as some buttons weren't working and some other problems people mentioned. So what I did was deleted my first game console PS3. Next I selected add device. Select DVD. Then select nyco for manufacturer and model # which is on the back of the remote 83040-F09. Once I input this info harmony found it as Sony Playstation 3 Blu-wave. Now everything works perfect. No lag at all and everything works normal. Now I have one remote that controls it all and I'm very pleased. Not sure if this method was mentioned before but if not I hope this helps others out with a quick install.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke /forum/post/15701059

I'm just curious, how do you turn the PS3 on and OFF?

You manually have to turn it on but you have to put in a disc most of the time anyway, so know big deal. To shut it off just scroll all the way to the left on the PS3 xmb and click turn off.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke /forum/post/15701059

I'm just curious, how do you turn the PS3 on and OFF?

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverm3s /forum/post/15701386

You manually have to turn it on but you have to put in a disc most of the time anyway, so know big deal. To shut it off just scroll all the way to the left on the PS3 xmb and click turn off.

I bought the Nyko about 6 months ago and I havent had any issues with it. it does everything I need it to do. Very pleased...

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
The Nyko solution is decent if you don't plan on using the PS3 as a media server. Once you start using streaming media then the "I have to get up to put a disc in anyway" argument goes out the window. Also, I hate that it always takes controller slot 1 and you have to rely on the Triangle button for special features.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15702436

The Nyko solution is decent if you don't plan on using the PS3 as a media server..

I would have to disagree with this, all of my music and videos are in a NAS and I havent had any issues with it. I can navigate and select anyfolder and/or get my music to stream without any issues. when it comes to playing BD and getting the functionallity I can acces all menus with the the "menu" button on my 880 I dont have to select the triangle button for anything unless I want to change the the audio application to bitstream or LPCM, but besides that there isnt much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15702436

Also, I hate that it always takes controller slot 1 and you have to rely on the Triangle button for special features.

the whole controller one thing isnt a big issue. when I want to watch a movie I dont need the controller at all, and when playing a game I usually turn the unit on with the controller anyways. I pick it up and turn it on and on I play the games. it usually get the slot one if done this way.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertBert /forum/post/15702749

I would have to disagree with this, all of my music and videos are in a NAS and I havent had any issues with it. I can navigate and select anyfolder and/or get my music to stream without any issues. when it comes to playing BD and getting the functionallity I can acces all menus with the the "menu" button on my 880 I dont have to select the triangle button for anything unless I want to change the the audio application to bitstream or LPCM, but besides that there isnt much.

the whole controller one thing isnt a big issue. when I want to watch a movie I dont need the controller at all, and when playing a game I usually turn the unit on with the controller anyways. I pick it up and turn it on and on I play the games. it usually get the slot one if done this way.

I was talking about turning the PS3 on and off with the remote. I also have a NAS connected to mine streaming Twonky. The point is that when streaming there is no reason to get up and turn your PS3 on by other means as you would with a DVD or BRD. This is where an IR to BT converter is a better solution than an IR to USB converter.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15703517

I was talking about turning the PS3 on and off with the remote. I also have a NAS connected to mine streaming Twonky. The point is that when streaming there is no reason to get up and turn your PS3 on by other means as you would with a DVD or BRD. This is where an IR to BT converter is a better solution than an IR to USB converter.

I guess you have a point there...

1161 - 1180 of 1200 Posts