AVS Forum banner

1181 - 1200 of 1200 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
What Sony should have done was put an IR receiver on the back of the PS3 remote. Then it could have accepted IR signals from standard remotes and pass them on to the PS3. All you'd then need have to do was leave the PS3 remote in a convenient place line-of-sight with your viewing position.

Hopefully someone is reading this...

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
What Sony should have done was to put an IR receiver on the PS3.

Your solution is sort of already out there, but not sold by Sony. You can get the PS3 Tooth Fairy and put the PS3 remote's guts into its case that has an IR receiver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use the Intec solution (similar to nyko blue-wave) the package I got came with a free HDMI cable and a free BR movie for $49.99. No, it won't turn the PS3 on, but I leave mine on 99% of the time anyways as I keep it [email protected] No lag or anything, works great...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/15812799

What Sony should have done was to put an IR receiver on the PS3.

Your solution is sort of already out there, but not sold by Sony. You can get the PS3 Tooth Fairy and put the PS3 remote's guts into its case that has an IR receiver.

Well, yes, obviously they should have put IR receiver in the PS3 itself, but making a PS3 remote with an IR receiver built in is an easy solution for everyone who wants it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just bought nyko remote to work with my harmony 880 but I cannot figure out how to set up the 880 so that when I hit the power button it will turn off ps3. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

·
Registered
9,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotelmania /forum/post/15915062

I just bought nyko remote to work with my harmony 880 but I cannot figure out how to set up the 880 so that when I hit the power button it will turn off ps3. Can someone please tell me how to do it?

You need to do this, which may take a call to Harmony support to set up: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post15822712

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Actually this is a better shut down macro to use. You will have to contact Harmony support by phone/email to get it set up, but it works great.

DirectionLeft Duration in milliseconds 1000

DirectionUp Duration in milliseconds 500

X

Pause for 500 milliseconds

X

Direction Down

X

Thanks to mspace for figuring out how to allow for shutdown after download completion.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just got the new Madcow PS3 IR remote with USB dongle from dealextreme.com.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21183

It has ALL 15 controler buttons on the remote, including the PS key!

It works great and I used it to program my universal JP1 remote (URC-8910).

I uploaded my upgrade file to the JP1 file section for those that need it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6469

Hopefully these links are posted correctly.

I haven't seen other cheap IR remote solutions that include the PS button, so I think this may be a first.

I took a gamble and ordered it, I'm happy I did.

·
Registered
252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackashaq /forum/post/16170548

I just got the new Madcow PS3 IR remote with USB dongle from dealextreme.com.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21183

It has ALL 15 controler buttons on the remote, including the PS key!

It works great and I used it to program my universal JP1 remote (URC-8910).

I uploaded my upgrade file to the JP1 file section for those that need it:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6469

Hopefully these links are posted correctly.

I haven't seen other cheap IR remote solutions that include the PS button, so I think this may be a first.

I took a gamble and ordered it, I'm happy I did.

Does the PS key turn on the system.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, the USB ports aren't powered when the ps3 is off, so this is not possible with any of the ir usb dongles. You need a bluetooth based product to power on the ps3.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have ordered one to check it out. I'm guessing it's a Chinese version (based on the rather bad english in the documentation). It's a great price! Too bad it has a butt ugly dongle though (IMHO). I can't imagine someone wanting that phalic symbol sticking out of their PS3. It's even worse looking than the BlueWave. LOL But as long as it helps more people solve their PS3 IR problem, it's a bonus. I think we can officially say that this market is well covered now.

Originally, we had the PS key working with the PS3IR-X1 but, unless we used Sony's USB vendor ID, the PS key was not enabled by the PS3 firmware. In other words, Sony purposefully blocks the use of the PS key for non Sony products. It will be interesting to see if they are using Sony's USB VID.

BTW, we have repeatedly tried to contact Sony to arrange for our VID to be added to the list of products with the PS key enabled. We have had no luck though.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMuecke /forum/post/16179181

I have ordered one to check it out. Obviously it's a Chinese version (based on the rather bad english in the documentation). It's a great price! Too bad it has a butt ugly dongle though. I can't imagine someone wanting that phalic symbol sticking out of their PS3. It's even worse looking than the BlueWave. LOL

Originally, we had the PS key working with the PS3IR-X1 but, unless we used Sony's USB vendor ID, the PS key was not enabled by the PS3 firmware. In other words, Sony purposefully blocks the use of the PS key for non Sony products. It will be interesting to see if they are using Sony's USB VID.

You are correct about the ugly dongle! And it's BIG. I'll need to get a USB hub to hide the thing more easily
I'll check out the USB vendor ID later today...

I have since found out the remote signals are identical to the BigBen PS3 remote (BB 251548) sold in Europe and Asia. The BigBen remote and dongle are much nicer looking, and it also has the PS key. It seems to have been on the market for more than a year, but I never heard of it before.

·
Registered
207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackashaq /forum/post/16179698

You are correct about the ugly dongle! And it's BIG. I'll need to get a USB hub to hide the thing more easily

I have since found out the remote signals are identical to the BigBen PS3 remote (BB 251548) sold in Europe and Asia. The BigBen remote and dongle are much nicer looking, and it also has the PS key. It seems to have been on the market for more than a year, but I never heard of it before.

I have the Nyko and I have to say it wasnt very noticeable at all. it actually blended in with the PS3.

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackashaq /forum/post/16179698

Here's the Vendor ID details from Windows XP:

HID\\VID_0738&PID_8821\\6&23B09182&0&0000

0738 is Mad Catz, though this is labelled MadCow

·
Registered
266 Posts
I got a PS3 for Christmas last year. I imagined I might game on it a bit, but the main reason for the purchase was blu-ray. I pulled out the remote, discovered it was bluetooth, packed everything up, and swapped it for a BDP-S300. I have a home theater master remote which I LOVE, and more importantly, the wife LOVES. Not being able to program the PS3 to run with the MX700 was a deal breaker.

Now I've got a CRAPPY Blu-ray only player that plays about 30% of blu-ray discs correctly. Did anyone figure out who was the A**hole who thought bluetooth was a good idea for this remote? He/she needs a good punch the face!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm using my mx700 with my ps3 by using the ir4ps3 bluetooth adapter. Works great. I know it sucks ps3 doesn't have ir. I suspect they did it on purpose to encourage dedicated blue-ray player sales. Don't know really, but there are solutions out there.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbz /forum/post/16826852

I suspect they did it on purpose to encourage dedicated blue-ray player sales.

Sense game console manufacturers always make more money off the sell of games and console accessories then the actual console itself; I always suspected Sony did it to sell another accessory to people (their PS3 bluetooth remote).

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can unequivacally say that the PS3IR-500 and the PS3IR-1000 are now the best solutions available. The PS3IR-500 is the least expensive Bluetooth solution by far. It looks the best, operates flawlessly, is always in stock for overnight delivery, and customer service is pleasant and readily available in the rare case that help is needed. Setup is easy since it automatically pairs with the PS3 within 2-3 seconds.

The PS3IR-1000 has these features and more including precise power sensing of the PS3 ON/OFF state via a cable. And you can control the PS3 via a simple program that provides easy configuration of the 12 internal macros and provides a virtual BD remote window on the PC so you can operate your PS3 via mouse clicks or via your own custom program. The device looks like a standard USB HID device so no drivers are required and the API is very easy to integrate into your PC based AV center. It also works fine with an Apple OSX based computer. The API is provided and has already been utilized by third party developers.

Both models are supported with configuration utilities that work right out of the box. Just run the small executable directly with no installation needed at all. It automatically updates the firmware on your device in less than a minute. There are no .NET or device drivers involved. It's like the good old days. It just simply works. In fact it runs just fine from a USB memory stick. For installers, the macro setup can be saved to a file for reuse on a later installation.

Hats off to everyone that has been providing solutions for this problem in the past. But finally there is a reasonably priced and professional product family available that make all of the earlier devices (including our own) look crude in comparison. It just took a while to get there.

1181 - 1200 of 1200 Posts