AVS Forum banner

Usage of the PS3 & its Remote

• I bought it for games only but got a remote anyways, in case..

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
you forgot the option of: "i bought it for both games and bd playback, but cant afford the remote at the current time, but will pick one up at a later date."

that's the one i fall under. i don't mind using the controller for bd playback but i find myself accidentally reversing or fast forwarding from sitting on the l2 and r2 buttons from time to time.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Its a great remote. Sadly its got one killer missing feature: backlighting. Build quality, response, buttons... its all GREAT.

I would have paid another $25 for backlighting but it is a very good remote. The controller sucked. I keep the remote next to the PS3 and HIDE the controller. Its ugly and cheap looking next to the remote and PS3.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a Harmony 880 and i love it
I just wish it had BT so that i wouldnt have to buy the BD remote from Sony. Maybe in the next revision Harmony will add BT, i believe the 890 introduced RF, maybe BT is next

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'd cast my vote for "bought it for games + BD, will hopefully find the time to buy the original PS2 remote / IR receiver and RatShack controller-to-USB converter, then reprogram my Harmony 880 for BD control", or preferably "bought it for games + BD, waiting for someone to build a USB IR receiver that works with the PS3 and common remotes like the Harmony series"

Suffering with sixaxis for now for BD. Since my preferences don't quite fit into any of the poll choices I'll abstain for voting.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have enough remotes... why get another one that I have to look for when I need to use it.

Jerz

·
Banned
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know this is not the best sampled PS3 poll in the world, but over 2/3 of the PS3 buyers have a remote.

I think the ratio of remote owners to ps3 owners is an excellent metric of how many people use it for BD.

While this ratio would be higher on AVS than outside generally, it is also worth noting that a large segment of the population on the PS3 forum is into gaming and thus, a closer representative of the general populace.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Interesting. I myself use my PS3 for about 80% Blu-Ray and 20% games. (or less) While I think the sixaxis controller is definitely NOT the best remote control out there, it does work, and right now I just can't justify to myself spending $30 on something when I've already got something that works. Now if I could integrate it into my master IR remote control, maybe.

I might pursue the PS2 IR workaround for the PS3, but I'll have to see. I'm okay for now with the sixaxis. I don't really use a remote all that much when watching BD's, anyway.

·
Registered
712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzkker /forum/post/0

you forgot the option of: "i bought it for both games and bd playback, but cant afford the remote at the current time, but will pick one up at a later date."

that's the one i fall under. i don't mind using the controller for bd playback but i find myself accidentally reversing or fast forwarding from sitting on the l2 and r2 buttons from time to time.

I find it very hard to believe that someone can afford a PS3, $60 games, blu-ray movies, but not a $25 remote.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 /forum/post/0

I find it very hard to believe that someone can afford a PS3, $60 games, blu-ray movies, but not a $25 remote.

I have $$$$ invested in my home theater, and every single component in there [down to the lowly Monoprice HDMI switch] works beautifully with a universal remote controller (Harmony 880 in my case), but the darn fecktards at Sony had to eliminate IR at least for movie playback control and thereby force people to buy another hideous remote that won't work with anything else. Fanboys continue to kiss butt, but this has to be the most moronic design decision ever. What do they save from eliminating an IR receiver? A couple of cents at their volumes?

·
Registered
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0

I have $$$$ invested in my home theater, and every single component in there [down to the lowly Monoprice HDMI switch] works beautifully with a universal remote controller (Harmony 880 in my case), but the darn fecktards at Sony had to eliminate IR at least for movie playback control and thereby force people to buy another hideous remote that won't work with anything else. Fanboys continue to kiss butt, but this has to be the most moronic design decision ever. What do they save from eliminating an IR receiver? A couple of cents at their volumes?

Have you even bought or tried out the PS3 BD remote? IR is so last century...bluetooth 2.0 is the future for remotes..

·
Registered
712 Posts
I agree with raaj. Even though I have the BD remote, I would prefer it if the PS3 was IR. The entire point of me getting the harmony 880 was to get rid of all my remotes. I can't stand using the six-axxis as a remote, and being that I watch movies more than I play games on the PS3 at the moment, I really needed the remote. 2 remotes is not the end of the world, but 1 is better.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.