AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my PS3 hooked up HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver (yeah, an HDMI receiver is on my to-buy list).

The last few days, everytime I turn on my PS3 it keeps coming up with a message to the effect of "An HDMI compatible device was detected. Do you wish to output video and audio via HDMI?" to which I have to choose yes or no.

Choosing "no" results in no picture of course (so I have to reset the PS3 again to get the message). Choosing "yes" gives me the picture, but then I have to go into the sound options and tell it to output sound via optical.

Why is this happening? Is my PS3 going bad? I've had it for about a year now.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15454961

I have my PS3 hooked up HDMI to the TV and optical to my receiver (yeah, an HDMI receiver is on my to-buy list).

The last few days, everytime I turn on my PS3 it keeps coming up with a message to the effect of "An HDMI compatible device was detected. Do you wish to output video and audio via HDMI?" to which I have to choose yes or no.

Choosing "no" results in no picture of course (so I have to reset the PS3 again to get the message). Choosing "yes" gives me the picture, but then I have to go into the sound options and tell it to output sound via optical.

Are you logged into your PS3's master account (profile) or a sub account? I would think that a sub account wouldnt have write access to make changes to the system settings but would have a safety override, like what you are experiencing, to still allow it to load everything up. Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one but just a suggestion?

Otherwise you could restore your PS3's hardrive to stock and recreate your profiles and system settings? Downside is you'd lose whatever you have on your hard drive so think about backing it up first!

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Anything change in the last few days? Just download new firmware? Install new HDD? Change your AV setup?

Could be some handshake issue happening for some reason. Could just be a bad HDMI cable, so try a new one. Could be a loose connection. Check them. Worst case, could be a bad HDMI connection on either your display or the PS3.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Do you power down using the button, or the XMB? If you're using the power button you could be holding it too long and resetting the system. I accidentally did that today. You'll know if the system beeps 3 times instead of just once.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15455033

Are you logged into your PS3's master account (profile) or a sub account? I would think that a sub account wouldnt have write access to make changes to the system settings but would have a safety override, like what you are experiencing, to still allow it to load everything up. Maybe I'm way out in left field on this one but just a suggestion?

Otherwise you could restore your PS3's hardrive to stock and recreate your profiles and system settings? Downside is you'd lose whatever you have on your hard drive so think about backing it up first!

Main account (the only one). No problem restoring my PS3 hard drive. I've never even played a game on it (BR playback only). I did get 3 games for xmas though, but have yet to play them. Only thing I would lose would be some demos, which I don't care about. How do I restore it? I assume it's in the menus somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/15455231

Anything change in the last few days? Just download new firmware? Install new HDD? Change your AV setup?

Could be some handshake issue happening for some reason. Could just be a bad HDMI cable, so try a new one. Could be a loose connection. Check them. Worst case, could be a bad HDMI connection on either your display or the PS3.

The only thing I changed in my setup is hooking up a wii (which we got for xmas), but I had used the PS3 a few times after that with no issues. And besides, the PS3 hookups didn't change at all...just added on the wii's component video/RCA audio hookups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludivigo /forum/post/15455433

Do you power down using the button, or the XMB? If you're using the power button you could be holding it too long and resetting the system. I accidentally did that today. You'll know if the system beeps 3 times instead of just once.

Button since I'm usually up ejecting the disc. That could be it, as I seem to remember it beeping multiple times....if that's the case it's strange I've never had it happen before, but now it's happening all the time. I'll check this next time. I didn't know holding it down and multiple beeps meant system reset, or I probably would have paid attention more.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15455448

Button since I'm usually up ejecting the disc. That could be it, as I seem to remember it beeping multiple times....if that's the case it's strange I've never had it happen before, but now it's happening all the time. I'll check this next time. I didn't know holding it down and multiple beeps meant system reset, or I probably would have paid attention more.

Sounds like the problem. Let us know!

·
Registered
403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproper /forum/post/15454961

happened to us too after playing a few hours of world at war the night before.... my wife calls me up at work and says, "Hon, I've got no video... only audio..." I told her to press and hold the power button until it beeps and shuts off... after turning it on again, the ps3 displayed the same thing.... i thought all was lost too because the ps3 reverted to default wave theme and not the God of War theme.... everything was intact though and i had her make sure that it was logged in as my account. all of this occured last week before new years...

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, played around a bit last night, and I guess that was the problem. Odd how it never came up before.

1) I didn't realize that holding the button for a long period of time "reset" the PS3 or that would've been the first thing I looked at.

2) Relatives and PS3 do not mix. Apparently they were watching a movie during the day while I was at work and turning it off that way as well.

Anyways, after about 15 on/off cycles yesterday, it's working fine. All is well ASAIK. Thanks everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts