AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have a PS3 and my dilema for it is the following: I want an HDTV (LCD)but I want to buy it from Costco, for their Lifetime warranty or whatever they have on Televisions. I would love to buy one now and be able to turn it back in a year or two later and get the money back with my receipt. That is an awesome deal....

The problem is, I am looking for a 1080p HDMI LCD for my PS3 but the 47" Vizio thread has alot of complaints, most of which I really don't understand. Can anyone suggest a TV or confirm whether the Vizio is a great television? I don't want to spend over 2 grand..but I really want the 1080p LCD.....thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When are they changing their policy? Means I need to buy one ASAP...or does that mean no matter WHEN I buy they TV I won't be able to return it? Will it matter if I buy it BEFORE they change their policy?

If not...then my options are opening up to ANY LCD tv...but still I am looking for some input on the best choices....

and whats a troll?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then Costco is out of the picture then. So what is a decently priced TV around 46" and 1080p that would be the best quality for gaming...without dishing out like 4 grand on those Bravia ones...

I was looking at the Samsung 4695's....

But some professional or expert opinions would be great!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretti /forum/post/0

Well then Costco is out of the picture then. So what is a decently priced TV around 46" and 1080p that would be the best quality for gaming...without dishing out like 4 grand on those Bravia ones...

I was looking at the Samsung 4695's....

But some professional or expert opinions would be great!

The new Vizio GV47LF is selling like hotcakes. 1080p res, 8ms response, 47" flat panel LCD. $1650 at Costco.

Also I think they changed their return policy to 30 days on Jan 1st, 2007.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrandyd /forum/post/0

According to Hot deals club on their Thursday, Jan. 18th post, the rumored change in Costco's return policy for electronics is not true.

Well my friend was there last weekend to return an LCD, and the associate at customer service counter told him Costco's return policy has changed to 30 days for TV's and perhaps other electronics. They were nice about it and still gave him a refund though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes I know the Vizio is selling like hot cakes...but I was merely gearing towards the Vizio because it was the BEST out of the Costco selection. Since Costco isn't in the picture anymore...

I read a bunch of reveiws on it and it seems the Vizio has poor quality. Some defects including only showing 95% of the picture. Also many others. So I was looking at the Samsung 4695's since I have heard Samsung is the best quality when it comes to gaming and HD...

But I was looking for some expert opinions...I dont really want to spend an arm AND a leg....was kind of just hoping for an leg....

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:

Here is a question...the Samsung 4695...and 4696...whats the difference? I really am liking that 4695...but am I missing out on alot by not going all the way?

they're both the same only difference is the "sleek" design on the 4696.

if you want any of those so badly, get the 4696 unless youre fine with an uglier HDTV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the 95 looks great to me...not really worth the extra 300-400 dollars it would cost me to get a 46. I could put that towards a nicer receiver. But am I safe to assume the 4695 or even the 4095 from Samsung are some of the best LCD TV's and would be awesome for my PS3? Or am I retarded?

Is DLP much worse than LCD or is LCD definitely the way to go?

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:

Well the 95 looks great to me...not really worth the extra 300-400 dollars it would cost me to get a 46. I could put that towards a nicer receiver. But am I safe to assume the 4695 or even the 4095 from Samsung are some of the best LCD TV's and would be awesome for my PS3? Or am I retarded?

i wouldnt buy any of those, but you want to.

If you want LCD there is no other way around then going high-end.

But you dont have the money nor want something bigger then 40" i guess.

wait for the new samsung/sharp(and all the others that are coming out) lcds.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Quote:

If you want the most bang for your buck then the Vizio is the way to go. It is a good entry level 1080p LCD. If you want the most quality for your buck then you can't go wrong with the Samsung. Samsung and Sony LCDs are produced in the same plant. I had considered all three and settled with the Samsung.

The Samsung also has a game mode for your PS3 or Xbox 360.

DLP are cheap to buy but you need to replace the bulb which cost $200+. All things being equal LCD produces a brighter picture in all lighting conditions with greater viewing angles.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well just going on the reviews themselves..I have heard nothing but awesome things from those Samsung models. Of course I COULD wait for the new models to come out...but thats how technology works. If I wait for THOSE models..I might as well wait for the ones after that and so on and so forth....

If I don't pick one, stick with it and settle....I will NEVER get a TV. No matter how much money you put into a TV....you will never get the BEST one...because a new one will always comes out right after. We are at 108" LCD now right? I gaurentee in a month we will hit 110" or 120" and whoever got that 108 will be pissed because they didn't get the best. Its a never ending cycle... of course I don't know MUCH on A/V media centers...since I am new...but I do know how this tech game works. (Huge computer nerd and the same applies)

As far as the Samsungs...I dont think a Vizio could compare in quality. The Vizio's bonus was the lifetime warranty....but since that is no longer good....then I am forced to recon with higher end LCD's for a more practical purpose as opposed to just investing in a good warranty.

BUt what is this "Game mode" the samsungs come with?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Game Mode is something Samsung came up with in conjunction with Microsoft. It's supposed to speed up the video processing and optimize the picture and sound for gaming. But I think it looks like crap, and never use it. It makes the picture too contrasty, and the colors are too garish. As long as you input a resolution near the sets native resolution, you won't have any problem with video lag.

BTW, the difference between the 4095 and the 4096 is more than just the styling. The 4096 accepts a cable card and has an OAM tuner to allow you to receive any unencrypted HD cable channels your provider might carry.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the whole native resolution thing is a bit confusing to me. The 4695 says it accepts 1080p...so does that mean any PS3 game or blu ray I play the tv will display it in all its glory?

i know SOME tvs that boast HD or 1080i only actually support 720p inputs...so I want to make sure but its still confusing....

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've paired up my PS3 60GB with a Samsung LN-S4096D and am LOVING it. It kicks *ss for both 1080P gaming and blu-ray playback. Also, I've been watching a ton of Blu-ray movies lately and the PQ displayed by this set consistently blows me away.

OTA and Directv HD (lite) look stunning on it, as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.