AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my PS3. When playing movies with 2.35:1 AR, specifically 3:10 to yuma, Sunshine and Memoirs of a Geisha, on many of the dark scenes I have light colored bands on the top and bottom of the letterbox. These bands are not solid color, but seem like the film is over exposed at these edges. The content of the scene is just slightly brighter across the edge.

I just started noticing this and now I can't help but notice it on every blu ray I watch. I have not noticed any similar results on my HD DVD player although I havent watched anything critically since I started to notice the banding.

My equipment is as follows:

PS3 HDMI 1080i to monoprice 5x1 to yamaha rx-v2600 to Pioneer 60 inch plasma. The TV is calibrated via DVE

I have tried all the different settings on the PS3 and I have tried going directly to the TV with 1080p 24fps, which my TV accepts and scales to 768 24fps. The 24fps is nice and made me want to get a new receiver that supports it but it did not reduce the banding.

It could be that I am being overly sensitive and this is just an effect of the film, but without another Blu Ray setup to view I can not be sure. Any feedback you have would be great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one has this problem or notic es this Issue? Do I need to take pictures of this phenomenon? Maybe I should ask this question in the software forum since maybe it is a software specific issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Most of my disks have the same problem, i dont know what causes it. I have a Samsung 40" 1080p LCD with Onkyo 605 receiver, Toshiba HD-A3, and Panasonic BD-30. I belive its a problem on the mastering but i have always wondered

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
definitely caused by the sharpness settings on your TV set. Reduce the sharpness to 0 and turn off any other detail / edge enhancement and you'll see that the lighter outlines next to the cinemascope bars will disappear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts