AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my PS3 and Sony STR-DN1000 receiver that has been driving me nuts for months. Basically, when the receiver gets LPCM output from my PS3 over HDMI, the bass is incredibly boomy and overdriven. If, however, I force Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS-HD output over HDMI from the same game or movie, leaving all other settings exactly the same, the bass sounds balanced and normal, the exact same as the Dolby Digital 5.1 coming from my Xbox 360, for example. I tested this with the same content on both consoles, specifcally the new Castlevania demo. But I can reproduce it with all source material.

The PS3 doesn't have any settings to adjust bass for LPCM. I don't understand why there would be such a huge difference in audio between LPCM 5.1 where the PS3 is doing the decoding, and Dolby Digital 5.1 where the receiver is doing the decoding?? I know in that in my test case game demo, the source material is straight DD 5.1 in both cases. The difference is just wether the PS3 or the receiver is decoding it. When the PS3 does it (LPCM shows up), I get absurd monster bass. When the receiver does it (DD 5.1 shows up), bass is normal. The solution is not as simple as unchecking LPCM output options on the PS3, because a lot of content seems to be LPCM only, with no corresponding DD or DTS available.

Am I cursed with adjusting my subwoofer settings or my sound output settings in the PS3 menu on a constant basis!?

·
Registered
895 Posts
Why not run everything as PCM and calibrate properly for it? This is what I did. When I switched receivers and ran my calibration, my receiver actually told me to turn the sub down before continuing the calibration.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured it out, for the most part. There was hidden setting on my receiver under HDMI for SW Level affecting LPCM source ONLY. Why this exists, I have no idea. It had been set to AUTO. It turns out that Auto is the same as setting it to +10db! I set it to 0db, and the overwhelming bass is gone!

I STILL have an issue where the DD 5.1 has louder surround channels and SLIGHTLY less bass than LPCM with the same source. This still baffles me, but it may have to do with decoding quality of my PS3 vs the receiver? However, LPCM is now usable without the huge problem bass problem I had before.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius /forum/post/19554844

I figured it out, for the most part. There was hidden setting on my receiver under HDMI for SW Level affecting LPCM source ONLY. Why this exists, I have no idea. It had been set to AUTO. It turns out that Auto is the same as setting it to +10db! I set it to 0db, and the overwhelming bass is gone!

I STILL have an issue where the DD 5.1 has louder surround channels and SLIGHTLY less bass than LPCM with the same source. This still baffles me, but it may have to do with decoding quality of my PS3 vs the receiver? However, LPCM is now usable without the huge problem bass problem I had before.

this is going to sound a bit 'nuts'....

Is there any chance that receiver was bundled with a movie and speakers? You didn't have to have purchased it as the bundle, but was it available as one? I ran into a very similar issue once, where it appears that the default '0/normal' receiver settings (on a sony bundle) were actually not '0/normal' but rather, tuned to make a specific movie sound good on a specific set of speakers. In my case, it was a James Bond bundle about 10 years ago, but it would not surprise me if this sort of practice still went on.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
does your subwoofer not have a level control on it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts