AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a file server that is connected to the PS3 via PS3 Media Server. I watch my TV shows, movies and whatnot through there, and was wondering how can I get good copys of my HD-DVD's and Blu Rays to work properly with it.

For HD-DVD's I've got Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz on there working just fine by backing them up with AnyDVDHD, then using EVODemux, TSMuxer, and RipBot to encode (making a M2TS file). Space is not an issue so I dont need to make .MKV's. However the odd blu ray (Spiderman 1,2, Res Evil 1,2) and one of my HD-DVD's (Motorhead: Stage Fright) will not transcode properly. Is there anoter simple way to get them in a 1 to 1 copy (movie only) that can play on my PS3?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do use the PS3 media server. I also have a server with all my tv shows on it. However, it will not play a ripped HD-DVD, so I have to convert it to a .M2TS or similar 1to1 file format. I was looking for a quick and easy way, as ripbot takes 15-20hrs on a core i7

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I used to use a PS3 as a media streamer. It did a great job with xvid/divx, mp2 and mp4 if they were in a flavor he liked but I changed for a HTPC now. Less of a hastle. The HTPC can play every format that I throw at it including BR rip in MKV container with 5.1 flac audio.

And with Media Center + Media Browser addons, the interface is way better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would use a HTPC, however space is very limited near the tv, and i've got nowhere near to hide the tower. the onboard graphics on the Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 are crap and i figure its a waste of money when I can use my PS3 to do all the work instead of a computer.

I dont want to spend anymore money on the home theatre as it is, and I have still yet to get a nice centre channel speaker sadly.

My home theatre (thus far) is

Receiver- Yamaha HTR-6160

Fronts- 2xKlipsch F1

Centre-

Rears- 2xPolk Audio M20

Subwoofer- Energy S10.3

TV- LG "47LG70" 47" LCD 120Hz

Console- Sony Playstaion 3 (40GB Model with 120GB HDD)

Server-

AMD 7750+ BE

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

2x1GB Corsair DDR2-6400

4x500GB 7200.11 on RocketRAID 2300 (JBOD)

320GB WD for OS and non Video/Music files

Workhorse-

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

3x1GB OCZ DDR3-1800

Palit 9800GTX+

1TB 7200.11

Watercooled

Both hooked up to a 24" Benq FP241W and Z-5500's

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainer36 /forum/post/16952013

i would use a HTPC, however space is very limited near the tv, and i've got nowhere near to hide the tower. the onboard graphics on the Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2 are crap and i figure its a waste of money when I can use my PS3 to do all the work instead of a computer.

I dont want to spend anymore money on the home theatre as it is, and I have still yet to get a nice centre channel speaker sadly.

My home theatre (thus far) is

Receiver- Yamaha HTR-6160

Fronts- 2xKlipsch F1

Centre-

Rears- 2xPolk Audio M20

Subwoofer- Energy S10.3

TV- LG "47LG70" 47" LCD 120Hz

Console- Sony Playstaion 3 (40GB Model with 120GB HDD)

Server-

AMD 7750+ BE

Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S2

2x1GB Corsair DDR2-6400

4x500GB 7200.11 on RocketRAID 2300 (JBOD)

320GB WD for OS and non Video/Music files

Workhorse-

Intel Core i7 920

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

3x1GB OCZ DDR3-1800

Palit 9800GTX+

1TB 7200.11

Watercooled

Both hooked up to a 24" Benq FP241W and Z-5500's

But the PS3 can't really do all that a dedicated HTPC can. At least not without converting/transcoding/managing.

It does a good job as a media extender but it does restrict you in what you can play. And the interface is so-so compared to Media Center or Media Portal or XBMC.

My HTPC -

Antec HTPC case

M3N78-VM 8200 mobo

4gig of ram

1x 160gig (Music and OS)

2x WD Green 2TB HDD (Anime and TV shows)

1x WD Green 2TB HDD (Movies - External USB)

The HTPC is air cooled with 2 big but slow rotating fan and can't be heard from my sitting position.

I'm planning this coming winter to build a headless server with 8 to 12 WD Green 2Tb HDD to eliminate the need for USB drive for expension.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to go with XBMC or Mediaportal originally, but when funds got tight, there was no room for a good/moderate video card to use for the HTPC. and unless I want to run a 50FT HDMI ($$) cable over to the reciever, there is no way i can have the server/htpc close enough to the tv.

Any shows I have ripped to the server are all in .vob or .avi file format, just the odd (3-5) HD-DVD and Blu-Rays are giving me a problem. I'm not asking for a reason to get a HTPC as its not nessecary, Im looking to see if anyone has a fast way of encoding HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays to .M2TS format to play on a PS3....

perhaps I should get this moved?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hainer36 /forum/post/16953425

I was going to go with XBMC or Mediaportal originally, but when funds got tight, there was no room for a good/moderate video card to use for the HTPC. and unless I want to run a 50FT HDMI ($$) cable over to the reciever, there is no way i can have the server/htpc close enough to the tv.

Any shows I have ripped to the server are all in .vob or .avi file format, just the odd (3-5) HD-DVD and Blu-Rays are giving me a problem. I'm not asking for a reason to get a HTPC as its not nessecary, Im looking to see if anyone has a fast way of encoding HD-DVD's and Blu-Rays to .M2TS format to play on a PS3....

perhaps I should get this moved?

Have you tried Mkv2Vob

If you have riped them with eac3to that is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts