AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm generally trying to avoid the whole transcoder route, because I figure that "bending" always comes with compromises. But I was intrigued by the PS3 MediaServer, so I've given it a quick try. As advertised, all I did was download and install it, and then set my Video and Music directories in 'Folders Sharing'.

Couple of questions: there were two things I was hoping to accomplish (well, actually three...vc-1 encoded, .m2ts streaming, but I haven't had a chance to test that yet) with the PS3MS....ISO streaming, and .FLAC streaming.

PS3MS sees and plays all my .ISOs, but with absolutely unacceptable audio synch issues. I figure this can be caused by one of three things: a) I haven't remuxed or monkeyed around with these .ISO rips...they were pretty straight-forward, out of DVD Shrink, b) the PC I'm running PS3MS on isn't exactly a new, speedy, powerhouse...AMD Athlon 64X2 Dual-Core 3800+, 2.01Ghz, with 1G RAM...or c) I just haven't monkeyed around with the PS3MS settings enough? What's my likely culprit?

And PS3MS doesn't see my .FLAC files at all; it sees the music folders, which is usually an indication that PS3 is willing to play the file contained within, but when I select say music/pink floyd...it says "no files", or something like that. My thinking is this could either be, again, fiddling with the PS3MS settings some, or it doesn't like my directory structure...or it just isn't that friendly with .FLAC, despite the claims.

Thanks for any help. Like I said, I'm not sold on transcoding, so I'm just trying to see if this is going to be worth keeping for me. The only reason I tried it was of how simple it was supposed to be; but if it turns out I've got to do a ton of remuxing to make my .ISOs work, or really switch things up for the .FLAC files...or worst, but a new PC to stream from...I don't think I'll be ready for it yet.

CD

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...anyone?

CD

·
Registered
461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/15587419

And PS3MS doesn't see my .FLAC files at all; it sees the music folders, which is usually an indication that PS3 is willing to play the file contained within, but when I select say music/pink floyd...it says "no files", or something like that. My thinking is this could either be, again, fiddling with the PS3MS settings some, or it doesn't like my directory structure...or it just isn't that friendly with .FLAC, despite the claims.

CD

If the PS3 doesn't see the files, then the problem is either:

a) PS3MS is not offering the .FLAC file to the PS3

b) your directory structure is too deep

If the PS3 sees the files but displays unsupported type, then the mime type that PS3MS attached to the file is not one that the PS3 support.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by eecubed /forum/post/15597192

If the PS3 doesn't see the files, then the problem is either:

a) PS3MS is not offering the .FLAC file to the PS3

b) your directory structure is too deep

If the PS3 sees the files but displays unsupported type, then the mime type that PS3MS attached to the file is not one that the PS3 support.

Or I could have been trying to access Music files from the Video section of XMB
Now if I could just figure out the .ISOs.

CD

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, this streaming BD to PS3 is definitely starting to feel like not ready for prime time. I was amazed at how easy my first 2 rips were; 2 older BDs, obviously mpeg-4 encoded, and they just fired right up out of my PV Connect media server off my MSS. Then a TV series rip, where the episodes show up in PVC, but when I try to play them I get "this data is corrupted"...so I was guessing it was vc-1 encoded. And now another rip, where when I try to play the file PS3 just locks up; movie doesn't start, black screen, can't stop, can't get to XMB, etc.

So I tried this PS3MS...my understanding is it could give me .FLAC transcoding...which it has...ISO support...major Audio synch issues...and vc-1 encoded .m2ts transcoding...which I don't seem to be getting at all.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't monkeyed with it much, and that Transcoder Settings area looks like a nightmare. So is it me that isn't ready, or the technology is still pretty limited? There go my dreams of BD files gallore.

CD

·
Registered
107 Posts
well ps3mc can uses several diffrent transcoders so if your haveing audio sync issues with one try another. teres also a switch in tehre thats supposed to help.

I have been using it for a bit and realy have been enjoying it. though I will sometimes get audio sync issues myself.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner /forum/post/15609044

Yeah, this streaming BD to PS3 is definitely starting to feel like not ready for prime time. I was amazed at how easy my first 2 rips were; 2 older BDs, obviously mpeg-4 encoded, and they just fired right up out of my PV Connect media server off my MSS. Then a TV series rip, where the episodes show up in PVC, but when I try to play them I get "this data is corrupted"...so I was guessing it was vc-1 encoded. And now another rip, where when I try to play the file PS3 just locks up; movie doesn't start, black screen, can't stop, can't get to XMB, etc.

So I tried this PS3MS...my understanding is it could give me .FLAC transcoding...which it has...ISO support...major Audio synch issues...and vc-1 encoded .m2ts transcoding...which I don't seem to be getting at all.

I'll be the first to admit I haven't monkeyed with it much, and that Transcoder Settings area looks like a nightmare. So is it me that isn't ready, or the technology is still pretty limited? There go my dreams of BD files gallore.

CD

So, I only downloaded this thing because it was supposed to be a pretty easy interface between media server and ps3. And it has been, for at least what works out of the box; on my modest machine it transcodes FLAC well enough (I use Squeezeboxes for audio streaming, so FLAC transcoding with PS3 is really just a curiousity...wanted to see if it could do it...but I haven't used it enough to know if everyday use might be an issue). I was pretty disappointed it didn't transcode my .ISOs very well at all; audio synch was so bad it was unwatchable. I did change the option "alternative av synch", or whatever it is, and that has made things better. Something still seems to be a little off, but that could be more an issue with compression, or the AVR in my system, etc. The .ISOs don't look very good on my 50" Pioneer plasma, but again, I think that has something (a lot) to do with the fact that I have ripped these .ISOs, to this point, for streaming to an XBMC in the bedroom, to be played on a trusty, old 250lb Sony tube SDTV; in other words, I have compressed them as low as Shrink will let me go, because the quality has been acceptable on that set...and now, not so much on the plasma. Point being, I don't think I can blame that on the PS3MS. I'll probably try an uncompressed .ISO and see if the PQ is acceptable enough on the PS3, using PS3MS, that it might offer an alternative and change the way I rip .ISOs.

However, I still don't seem to be even close to figuring out how to get this thing to transcode VC-1 .m2ts. I discovered that my first 2 rips were actually MPEG-2, so obviously PS3 had no problem with them natively. And I'm going to test MPEG-4 tonight, but PS3 is supposed to be able to handle that with no problem as well. If it turns out I can simply rip and stream BDs that are MPEG-2 and 4, then I might just leave it at that, for now, and be content. After all, I started this whole thing by saying I'm not big on transcoding, and the way I look at it...and this is just my particular situation...the PS3 streaming for .m2ts is for somewhat casual viewing. And it seems that most older titles, like maybe Reservoir Dogs, or Training Day (which happen to be the first 2 rips I tried)...movies that I might want to catalog, for casual watching to be streamed to the PS3...would be in either MPEG-2 or 4. Newer titles, like for example, The Dark Knight, or Iron Man, which were VC-1...well, those I'd want to watch, straight from BD, in my dedicated HT, in glorious lossless audio anyway. (Hmm, maybe a PCH wouldn't be such a bad idea after all).

Now, ALL that being said...I still wouldn't mind if someone could offer up settings help that might enable the PS3MS to transcode VC-1 .m2ts. All those transcoder settings are a bit over my head.

CD

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcavity /forum/post/15630892

theres a new version that uses multi cores much better. give it a shot if you have more than one cpu core.

Thanks; I might give that a shot. Based on the post above, I'm teetering between pushing forward, or just pulling-back for a while.

CD

1 - 9 of 9 Posts