AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, could Sony release a cheaper version of the PS3 tha does nor have BD playback and only plays games? I just got a PS3 for the second time and after much debate between the 360 and the PS3 chose the PS3 as it offered more for less. I dont use it for BD playback and because the price(in relation to the other consoles) is high it got me to thinking if Sony could ever release a PS3 that played games only had a 20 gb hard drive at a reduced cost say $249.00 and if that would help sales of the console...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
This is a joke...right? PS3 games are on bluray discs. It'd be like removing DVD playback from a PS2.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ah yeah, pretty sure that a blu-ray disc, game or movie needs a blu-ray drive to read it...just a hunch though. Watch many DVDs on your CD player have you, kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I would assume he means removing the MPEG-4/MPEG-2 movie playback from the firmware which **should** in fact reduce the cost of the PS3 by removing the licensing fees associated with it. That's why M$ sold a seperated dongle that held the key for DVD playback on the Xbox (They included a remote to make you think you werent being ripped off).

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15459352

I would assume he means removing the MPEG-4/MPEG-2 movie playback from the firmware which **should** in fact reduce the cost of the PS3 by removing the licensing fees associated with it. That's why M$ sold a seperated dongle that held the key for DVD playback on the Xbox (They included a remote to make you think you werent being ripped off).

now why would sony do that? sony has more money in bluray than video games.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/15459352

This is exactly what I mean. In this way they could have a lower priced game playing only machine. I know all games on the PS3 are BD but was wonderingt if there was anyway they could revise the PS3 in the same way they do with PC graphics cards to lower price it. It was just a thought and I was unsure of the scalability of the PS3....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/15459413

now why would sony do that? sony has more money in bluray than video games.

I dont know? Maybe for people who just want to play video games or may already have a Bluray player? They did it with PS2 BC so I dont see why they couldnt do it with BD playback? And then, like everything else, they could sell you a way to unlock the movie playback through software or additional external hardware.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
How much money could they really save by doing that?

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
It would only be worth it if Sony could bring the price down to something comparable to the 360 Arcade sku. I don't think the cost savings to Sony would be quite that high. It'd need to be a $200-300 cost savings to keep the current profit margin, and it'd need to be even greater than that to be profitable. Not to mention that they'd be utterly decimating one of the console's defining features in the marketplace.

More likely are cuts to other features (especially the HDD) to bring the console more in line with MS's Arcade sku.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/15459628

you kids are really dumb.

Me, a kid? Hardly....

So says the "man" with Spongebob references in his profile. Hmm?

But what is the big deal anyway? You know there is a licensing fee for the internet browser, MPEG-4 playback, MPEG-2 playback, PS1 compatibilty, and I'm sure there are more. I'd bet Sony could knock $30-$50 off the retail cost of the PS3 by doing away with purely software features that **could** be added via firmware for a price but would still allow the PS3 to function as a gaming device.

I dont necessarily care if they did have a version like this....I already made my choice and I would have sprung for the loaded version anyway. But my disposable income is not what everyone elses is so why not strip away features that would allow you to put a piece of hardware in more peoples hands?

MS has a version of their hardware that does exactly this....and it is outselling Sony's cheapest offering hands down.

Want to buy a Honda (or insert any other car manufacturer here)? You're not tied into only one model that has all the accessories that they sell. You have your pick of base models and a plethora of accessories to customize it YOUR way and in YOUR budget. Some offer more choice than others. If a manufacturer tries to sell only one model with NO options and this particular car does NOT do anything more spectacular than the competition (which is also cheaper) they are crazy to think the consumer is going to change their tastes and wants to meet what is being offered. Options sell.....

·
Registered
628 Posts
Try building a pc that could do what a PS3 can do for $399. Get a life shell out the 399. A comparable computer would cost more than twice that you cheap bastards! I would not follow anything that xbox 360 does. The arcade is a joke. Nothing but compaints from idiots who bought the arcade not realiziing the extreme limitations that arcade version has. Sony does not need that kind of rap.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
This thread serves no purpose but to argue. The topic itself is stupid to even get a proper

response. Saying PS3 without Blu-Ray is like a car without engine. Really dumb topic.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If the issue is price, what is the pricepoint the OP wants?

You can get $150 off with Playstation card and that means a ps3 can be had at $250. If you want it lower than the Wii, it'll be awhile to we get there.

-Splints

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
some of these responses indicate that their respective authors are unable to fully comprehend english.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/15459628

you kids are really dumb.

this is humorous on a couple of different levels.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning /forum/post/15460739

some of these responses indicate that their respective authors are unable to fully comprehend english.

I don't even think that's the issue here. Why would Sony disable Blu-Ray movies

on a Blu-Ray drive and just use it for games. How does that keep the price low?

Licensing PlayStation 3 to play MPEG is a one price deal. It's not limited to each

console. Not to mention there are more than one threads about this and it's still

as dumb as before. As far as his English, it's bad enough for you even to say

to one cannot comprehend.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I don't think Sony needs to remove anything else from the PS3. Just naturally get the price down and add back universal PS2 play in software and it would be just fine.

·
Registered
880 Posts
In my attempt to decipher the MPEG LA's licensing terms it seems AVC&VC1 is 10cents each. I think TrueHD&DTS-HD are included with DD&DTS and are needed for games. Don't know if Java costs anything. ASP(DivX)&MPG2 are in powerpoint presentations so I can't view them. So a savings of about a dollar which would not be passed on to you.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Since the most expensive components in the PS3, including the Cell, RSX, hard drive and BR drive would have to be included in the proposed revision, I don't see how a significant cost reduction would be achieved.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts